Auburn Player Down?

hawkstats1979

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but isn't a player "down" in college football if his wrist touches the ground? Dyer's wrist was clearly down on the last play, but ESPN was interested in only the knee. Anyone know the rule (the rulebook from the NCAA isn't much help)?

I dont think his wrist touched the ground. I just think it was his hand pushing himself up, but I could be wrong.

From here it looks like the hand is down and the wrist may be down. I remember looking at all angles on the Replay when I watched the game and they all showed the same thing. The refs tonight called a pretty good game.

Same call happened in Stanford/V-Tech and they called him down because his wrist touched. It looked pretty much the same.

I don't like that though, give the runner the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Should be forearm/elbow.

The wrist would be down. I thought it was close, but it would be hard to overturn. I think it also happened in the Arkansas/Ohio State game. I think Arkansas ended up scoring on the drive, but it was definately a rough thing to have such a flucky play like that, lead to losing a game.

The wrist would be down. I thought it was close, but it would be hard to overturn. I think it also happened in the Arkansas/Ohio State game. I think Arkansas ended up scoring on the drive, but it was definately a rough thing to have such a flucky play like that, lead to losing a game.

I said out loud while they were reviewing he should be down if the Arkansas Wr was ruled down by his wrist. There is way too many variances in college football rules that dictate games. The bowl games were a huge reflection of that.

That penalty call was ridiculous in the K St game.

Then that play last night. It's almost a matter of who is officiating a game that matters. Someone was smart enough to know the wrist calls you down in the Arkansas game. Not sure why it didn't last night.

You can call a penalty after almost every play for "drawing attention to yourself." Only if you play for K St though I guess does it matter....

I think the call was BS, his forward momentum was clearly stopped yet they didn't blow the whistle. If they are going to start letting them do this then when a player is stood up at the line of scrimmage and driven back 10 yards they need to mark the ball as a 10 yard loss and not no gain. It needs to go both ways for the defense.

I thought it was the right call. Regardless, if you're an Oregon defender, how can you not play until the whistle in that situation. No excuse for that and there should be no excuses about Auburn's win. They deserved it.

I think the call was BS, his forward momentum was clearly stopped yet they didn't blow the whistle. If they are going to start letting them do this then when a player is stood up at the line of scrimmage and driven back 10 yards they need to mark the ball as a 10 yard loss and not no gain. It needs to go both ways for the defense.

It was the right call. He wasn't clearly stopped. At no time was his forward momentum stopped at all, the defender grabbed him and rolled him forward and not back and then let him go. The only time he was stopped was when he got up took a couple steps and then stopped himself.

That has been happening forever in football, this was not something new that happened.

Forward progress is stopped after a couple of seconds. It doesn't happen as soon as a guy is hit or wrapped up and to say the offense needs a 10 yard loss if you drive him back would never work. A huge lineman could pick up a small RB or QB and carry them back ten yards and drop them. That wouldn't make any sense for that to be a loss of that much.

It's the back of the hand and/or wrist not the palm or underside of wrist that needs to touch for a player to be down. If the back of his hand were to have touched then he would have been down.

If you think about it, it was a remarkable call (non-call actually) to make by the officials on the field given the situation. I thought the game was ref'd at the highest level I've seen all year.

It's the back of the hand and/or wrist not the palm or underside of wrist that needs to touch for a player to be down. If the back of his hand were to have touched then he would have been down.

If you think about it, it was a remarkable call (non-call actually) to make by the officials on the field given the situation. I thought the game was ref'd at the highest level I've seen all year.

I thought the refs were pretty good too.

WHAT???

I only saw hand down, no evidence that any wrist was hitting the ground. Pretty good by the refs to not blow the whistle in the first place - as much as ppl give them crap, things like that have got to be hard to get right.

I thought that the refs did a great job with the game. It is a shame that such a hard-fought game was lost on a such a bone-head play, but I think the officials called it correctly...

Latest posts