Attitude

#1DieHardHawk

We were greatly overmatched athletically at literally every position yesterday. That wasn't a surprise.

What surprised and disappointed me is that OSU also "out-attituded" us.

It would be easy for a team with athletically gifted players across the board to play with a certain nonchalance, to relax and turn down the intensity level. Yet, what we observed was OSU players bringing determination and attitude with every snap, for 60 minutes. That was impressive, and, what it takes to be a national title contender.

As a lifelong Hawkeye fan, I can accept the reality that we are not blessed with an embarrassing riches of recruiting advantages; we're not going to simply reload with 5-star athletes or have the luxury of doling out millions of dollars for NIL every offseason. What I can't accept is lack of intensity and determination.

Football is a violent and intense game, and, to excel, you better bring that violence and intensity to the field. Kirk has historically hung his hat on being able to turn raw 2 and 3-star recruits into 4 and 5-star players that dominate opponents physically. Reese Morgan was a humble, relaxed, even-keeled guy, but his players imposed their will with attitude. Same could be said for Ron Aiken and others formerly with the program.

Hustling, blocking, tackling are all easier with a "tude." We need more of that moving forward if we expect to compete with the elites in the B!G. Now that the West division has gone away, being a developmental program without that extra intensity isn't going to cut it.