Attended Exhibition Game

ICHAWK

I was in attendance:

Oglesby: He made his first shot attempt which was a wide open 3pt shot. He has a good looking stroke. I never got a feel for the quick release they say he has as he only attempted two shots both were 3pt shots. He made one and missed one. He does appear to be a pretty good passer in that he delivers nice crisp passes that hit people in the chest. I get the feeling he has a good feel for the game. He seems decently athletic we will get a better feel for his athleticism once Iowa starts playing better teams. He is not going to wow you but he is not a slow footed guy either from the look of things.

White: He did some nice things and some bad things. He has a nice looking shot and seems to be able to handle the 3 or 4 position. He puts the ball on the floor good enough to get around 4 guys on the perimeter and he has some nice length. He does not look like a string bean but you can tell he needs to get stronger. He lost the ball occasionally on defense and got beat back door and what not. He looked to be a step slow on the defensive end. I think he probably will need to focus more on the defensive end. I noticed he was playing with a little splint from the thumb injury he suffered. Hard to tell how much it affected him since he had a nice baseline dunk and looked to have good rotation on a few of the shots he took. Obviously he would like to not have the brace on but it did not seem to affect him much.

Marble: He looked awful just seemed out of it and made some terrible pass attempts. I would think he might be getting over the concussion and being out of practice. I hope he is able to shake that and pick things up as he did not look good doing much of anything. He did have nice step back mid range jump shot he created but the shot rimMmed out.

Archie: He is athletic I guess. I just hope he provides some energy and does not make mental mistakes. He is 6-9 and has some decent bulk so lets hope he can be a hustle guy, rebound, block a few/disrupt shots and get a couple dunks each game. This is about all I can hope he does.

Basabe: He just never got into the flow of the game. Had a charging call and a couple of over the back calls. He never really got that many touches in good post position. I am not too worried about him so I will not really say much.

McCabe: He looks a bit leaner but he still looks pretty slow afoot. He lost his guy defensively a few times and just did not look very good at all this game. Just think of him last year but a bit leaner.

Cartwright: Looked pretty similar to last year. Not much to note with him. He hit an open 3pt shot but took a couple shots that missed pretty badly.

Gatens: Looked like last year. Don't need to tell you about him just a real solid player.

May: Looks to handle the ball with more confidence than last year, however he did not really get anywhere with the dribble. Not much to say about him.

Olaseni: Made a nice looking post move but it was waived off due to him getting called for a travel. He looks long and pretty athletic. Looked like he was trying to get into the flow of his first college game. I don't know I hope he brings what Archie does but Olaseni definitely looks to be better offensively than Archie, but he did not play many minutes. If he gets some confidence/strength maybe he can take more of Archie's minutes and provide Iowa with someone who can make somewhat of a post move and score more than 3 feet from the hoop.

That is all I got right now. If you want to get my opinion on something just ask I might have a take.

Good stuff, thanks

How bad was the team we played?

They weren't terrible. A nice DII team. What they had was size and a lot of it. They really out-boarded us in the first half but we were just too much in the 2nd.

The exhibition did what it needs to do. Give a bit of a test to show the team where they are, where they need to improve, and what will be the bread and butter.

One of my buddies said on twitter that "iowa just proved it can sleepwalk through a game and win by 20." I totally agree with that.

Good stuff, thanks

How bad was the team we played?

I forgot to add that Iowa moved the ball pretty well early in the game, but just missed some shots which is why the game was so close for a while.

The team was not great by any means. They had a PG who was really short listed at 5'7 so you know he was like 5'6, but he was very quick. Iowa had trouble staying in front of him at times but he mostly looked to dish the ball rather than take it to the hole since he was so short. They did not have much size on their team either. They had a 6'10 guy who did not play much and they had a few 6'8 guys but Iowa was bigger and stronger than them.

I don't see Iowa playing a team that is going to be worse than Northwest Missouri State that is for sure. NWMS moved the ball pretty well and played hard so they appeared to be well coached. But don't let anyone try to tell you NWMS was good by any means.

Ogelsby looked very good. Very excited to see him coming up. Reminds me of Gatens but bigger frame.

I think Gatens has a thicker build than Josh. Josh seems more lean than Matt. Matt came in weighing like 210 pounds as a freshmen. I think Matt came in as a freshmen with a B10 ready body where as Josh still could fill out a tad. I think for a 6'5 guy Matt seems to play shorter though as his arms don't seem all that long. Josh seems like his arms are a bit longer than Matt's which is obviously an advantage for a basketball player.

I like what Josh offers though. It just seems like he is a bit more athletic than Matt which bodes well. I think Matt was so polished coming into Iowa he did not have as much room to improve where as Josh has more room for improvement I think. I don't know what that really means long term but it is something to look at. Heck maybe at his best he is Matt Gatens.. Just nice to have a young player who you look at and see/expect improvement from.

I thought Archie played terrible. He stood around not putting a body on anyone to get a rebound, he was the main reason why we gave up so many offensive rebounds. He was also out of position down low which led to easy scores. I thought Gabe O did a better job defensively. Hopefully Gabe gets more minutes plus we need Brommer to come back strong from injury.

This team needs to run the floor plain and simple. Our offensive plays are very simple and predictable. In fact it seems like they run the same play over and over. When we push the ball and attack right away we have a higher chance of scoring than when we bring the ball up and run the offense. It's encouraging that Fran knows this and flat out said he wants a quicker pace.

I forgot to add that Iowa moved the ball pretty well early in the game, but just missed some shots which is why the game was so close for a while.

The team was not great by any means. They had a PG who was really short listed at 5'7 so you know he was like 5'6, but he was very quick. Iowa had trouble staying in front of him at times but he mostly looked to dish the ball rather than take it to the hole since he was so short. They did not have much size on their team either. They had a 6'10 guy who did not play much and they had a few 6'8 guys but Iowa was bigger and stronger than them.

I don't see Iowa playing a team that is going to be worse than Northwest Missouri State that is for sure. NWMS moved the ball pretty well and played hard so they appeared to be well coached. But don't let anyone try to tell you NWMS was good by any means.

Well, I guess that you should define good/bad then...The team that I saw and the team that Fran talked about after the game was not a bad team and some would say (Me included, a decent team to start the season). I will also say that the team is better than some of the teams that we will see this year...

Ogelsby looked very good. Very excited to see him coming up. Reminds me of Gatens but bigger frame.
I think Gatens has a thicker build than Josh. Josh seems more lean than Matt. Matt came in weighing like 210 pounds as a freshmen. I think Matt came in as a freshmen with a B10 ready body where as Josh still cou
fill out a tad. I think for a 6'5 guy Matt seems to play shorter though as his arms don't seem all that long. Josh seems like his arms are a bit longer than Matt's which is obviously an advantage for a basketball player.I like what Josh offers though. It just seems like he is a bit more athletic than Matt which bodes well. I think Matt was so polished coming into Iowa he did not have as much room to improve where as Josh has more room for improvement I think. I
don't know what that really means long term but it is something to look at. Heck maybe at his best he is Matt Gatens.. Just nice to have a young player who you look at and see/expect improvement from.

Yeah I meant more lengthy. Im very excited he looked very calm tonight and that's what freshman need. I think he was very underrated our of high school and by his senior year he'll be better then gatens I think. I hope fran plays his even starts hin this year.

They weren't terrible. A nice DII team. What they had was size and a lot of it. They really out-boarded us in the first half but we were just too much in the 2nd.

The exhibition did what it needs to do. Give a bit of a test to show the team where they are, where they need to improve, and what will be the bread and butter.

One of my buddies said on twitter that "iowa just proved it can sleepwalk through a game and win by 20." I totally agree with that.

They were 10-16 last year in D2. They had a losing record (8-14) in their conference. I'd say they are pretty damn terrible compared to a major D1 program.

Always fun to see different takes on the same game. I actually thought NWMS provided a very nice measuring stick for our coaching staff to gauge what needs to be worked on going into the season. They handled the various presses fairly well. They had some decent size inside with one pretty skilled low-post player which should provide some nice teaching points during film review for White, Archie, Oleseni. They had a slashing guard who was able to penetrate quite a bit and then dump it off inside or he kicked it out to the open shooter so another great teaching opportunity in terms of perimeter defense and interior help & recovery which was perhaps the most noticeable area for improvement for the Hawkeye D as a whole. Defensively they played as physically aggressive as quite a few of the big ten teams Iowa will face this season and they collapsed down on Basabe almost immediately which is something he is going to see a lot more of this season so hopefully yet another great teaching point.

Always fun to see different takes on the same game. I actually thought NWMS provided a very nice measuring stick for our coaching staff to gauge what needs to be worked on going into the season. They handled the various presses fairly well. They had some decent size inside with one pretty skilled low-post player which should provide some nice teaching points during film review for White, Archie, Oleseni. They had a slashing guard who was able to penetrate quite a bit and then dump it off inside or he kicked it out to the open shooter so another great teaching opportunity in terms of perimeter defense and interior help & recovery which was perhaps the most noticeable area for improvement for the Hawkeye D as a whole. Defensively they played as physically aggressive as quite a few of the big ten teams Iowa will face this season and they collapsed down on Basabe almost immediately which is something he is going to see a lot more of this season so hopefully yet another great teaching point.

Well put.

Well, I guess that you should define good/bad then...The team that I saw and the team that Fran talked about after the game was not a bad team and some would say (Me included, a decent team to start the season). I will also say that the team is better than some of the teams that we will see this year...

Fran was being nice. Trust me the Marian team that Lick played a few years ago in the exhibition game was worse than NWMS, but lets not take coach speak literally. I am sure behind closed doors Fran ripped the team for playing like crap. That team was not that good, and if they are better than some of the other pre season teams Iowa plays WOW Iowa has a weak schedule. Because I can't imagine you think that team will be better than any Big 10 team Iowa plays.

That team was 10-16 last year in a DII.

It was exhibition and I think Iowa will get better but lets be honest I think Iowa is about about a 17-18 win team tops, and 17-18 win teams probably look like Iowa does at times meaning they are not that consistent and can look bad against anyone.

No need to say NWMS was good just to feel better about a not great overall performance. I am not worried as I think Iowa will get better and they just are not a great team and will be inconsistent at times.

B1G basketball isn't known for running up and down the court fast. Most teams want to set it up. Maybe MSU, OSU, and some Ill. But that's about it.