Attendance

As exciting as this team is making it this year, why is attendance at Carver so low? I saw a lot of empty seats and read that there were about 10k in attendance?
Iowa is very unlike most big 10 schools in that many of the fans live in either rural areas or have to travel a few hours to get here. The population around Iowa City is pretty small. As one of the few Iowa Citians on here it's always surprised me how far people travel to get here and how many. Props to you for traveling 5 hours for football games, I dont know if I could do that.

I was at the game. But, because everyone was standing up and cheering so loudly, I had to watch the whole game on the big screen.

I wonder if it's been louder because of the type of fans that are braving the cold or if they just been selling booze to more than vip sections.

I made it, the drive from central IA was bad. Wouldn’t have blamed anyone avoiding that drive.

Carver crowd was awesome, it was deafening in there a couple times. CHA is an award winning design.

The team needed the energy going down the stretch, as a few guys were Really gassed. As in, totally sweat soaked jersey gassed.

You go to the game for them, not just for you.

I supervise/co-manage a fleet of contracted FedEx routes. I'm praying Our Father's and Hail Mary's everytme my drivers leave the terminal that they make it back in one piece.

I'm out there driving in it myself. Some back roads are literally nothing more than packed ice. And the lanes leading to some farm houses are worse. Our drivers have the option to bypass any delivery they feel is unsafe and they do. They can make arrangements to leave a package with the nearest neighbor, leave it at the local post office, leave it with a designated business in town, or simply bring it back

Last edited:
I supervise/co-manage a fleet of contracted FedEx routes. I'm praying Our Father's and Hail Mary's everytme my drivers leave the terminal that they make it back in one piece.

I'm out there driving in it myself. Some back roads are literally nothing more than packed ice. And the lanes leading to some farm houses are worse. Our drivers have the option to bypass any delivery they feel is unsafe and they do. They can make arrangements to leave a package with the nearest neighbor, leave it at the local post office, leave it with a designated business in town, or simply bring it back

Reminds of hurricane times here in Florida, and people bitch when a game is cancelled...but they don't have tix, they are just watching on TV.

Hello! Hurricanes are dangerous!

Reminds of hurricane times here in Florida, and people bitch when a game is cancelled...but they don't have tix, they are just watching on TV.

Hello! Hurricanes are dangerous!
Local flash flooding will also F up a FedEx driver's day as bad as any winter storm.

I once got across a flooded stream literally minutes before the bridge was covered (and was eventually washed out). Roads and shoulders have also been washed out or closed by mudslides in the territory we cover.

Local flash flooding will also F up a FedEx driver's day as bad as any winter storm.

I once got across a flooded stream literally minutes before the bridge was covered (and was eventually washed out). Roads and shoulders have also been washed out or closed by mudslides in the territory we cover.

Yeah, flooding is DEFINITELY not something you mess with. Water is frigging heavy. And when it's moving, it's unstoppable. I do still miss an occasional snow-caused spin, though!

I look at the weather well ahead. Decided not to do the Michigan game. For the Rutgers game, I came in a day early. Game day was pretty tough weather wise, so I went to see “Justice” which was tough to watch but a really outstanding film. Did Red Lobster for dinner, the midwestern substitute for authentic sea food. Went home on Thursday. I drive 4 hours from eastern Wisconsin to IC for my season BB seats. Yeah, yeah, I know. But we retired guys need to stay busy. I stay at the new Drury in Coralville for less than $100 a night with great free breakfast, free light dinner, and 5:30-7:00 free cocktail hour. And, underground parking. BTW, I also have season FB ticks and attend virtually all away games. Smart? No. Loyal? Yes. Tailgaters in Coralville has great bartenders, cold Amber Bock on tap, and a good deep fried pork tenderloin. Or Pagliai’s Pizza and cold beer at George’s. Life is Good.

It’s suppose to be snowing again for the Wisconsin game too. Okay guys, let’s not get snarky. We are all Hawkeye fans here and we are along for a nice ride with this team. Nobody expected us to be in this position especially since JBo was put on ice. Every win from here out is gravy. Right now we are entering a stretch of games, that if the ball bounces the right way, we can start to separate from some of these teams and start talking about a B1G regular season championship. We haven’t had one of those in a very loooooooooong time. Wether you are at the game or sitting in front of the idiot box, just enjoy the moment.

I look at the weather well ahead. Decided not to do the Michigan game. For the Rutgers game, I came in a day early. Game day was pretty tough weather wise, so I went to see “Justice” which was tough to watch but a really outstanding film. Did Red Lobster for dinner, the midwestern substitute for authentic sea food. Went home on Thursday. I drive 4 hours from eastern Wisconsin to IC for my season BB seats. Yeah, yeah, I know. But we retired guys need to stay busy. I stay at the new Drury in Coralville for less than $100 a night with great free breakfast, free light dinner, and 5:30-7:00 free cocktail hour. And, underground parking. BTW, I also have season FB ticks and attend virtually all away games. Smart? No. Loyal? Yes. Tailgaters in Coralville has great bartenders, cold Amber Bock on tap, and a good deep fried pork tenderloin. Or Pagliai’s Pizza and cold beer at George’s. Life is Good.

George's, the hallmark of the Weirdo Block (anchoring Tuck's, Dave's Fox Head, et. al.)

Sounds like a decent time. This is what I want to be doing when I'm retired.

They give you a free light dinner at the Drury?

Edit, I just looked it up....that's a hell of a deal. Nice hotel, free food and drinks.

George's, the hallmark of the Weirdo Block (anchoring Tuck's, Dave's Fox Head, et. al.)

Really? Only been there a few times. Old hangout was Ugly’s next to Hamburg Inn. Closed, very sad, now no PBR on tap. Not familiar with Tucks or Dave’s. ???

Really? Only been there a few times. Old hangout was Ugly’s next to Hamburg Inn. Closed, very sad, now no PBR on tap. Not familiar with Tucks or Dave’s. ???

Tuck's was around the corner, near Magoo's and Hamburg. Dave's Fox Head was on the corner south and across the street from John's Grocery. The guy wouldn't carry Bud because "they helped out in the war effort".

Iowa's fan density is also a problem. Iowa has to draw from all over the state to get a true sellout, on top of all the other hurdles mentioned above. Some programs like Kansas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin can draw from higher population density areas.

Iowa basketball fans have been notoriously fickle too. Even with a filled arena it can be much too quiet. I have always said Iowa has the quietest sellouts in college basketball. What has happened so far this season has been good but this show has been re-run several times before. Get off to a great start but stumble down the stretch, or vice versa. It can be argued that no McCaffery coached team has played a complete season (great play start to finish with no long, sustained stretches of poor play) yet and that is stunning after 10 years. Perhaps alot of fans believe the program peaked 5 or 6 years ago?

I don't know what the rest of the season will bring but I'd be prepared for anything. Regardless, if fans saw a burgeoning power in the Big Ten alot of them would fight the above obstacles to go to a game. As it is, Iowa is subject to all of the obstacles that play into the challenge of selling out a 15,000-seat arena in the middle of the winter in the midwest. It is harder than it used to be and it isn't going to get any easier sans Iowa fielding a final four caliber team every year.

Iowa's fan density is also a problem. Iowa has to draw from all over the state to get a true sellout, on top of all the other hurdles mentioned above. Some programs like Kansas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin can draw from higher population density areas.

Iowa basketball fans have been notoriously fickle too. Even with a filled arena it can be much too quiet. I have always said Iowa has the quietest sellouts in college basketball. What has happened so far this season has been good but this show has been re-run several times before. Get off to a great start but stumble down the stretch, or vice versa. It can be argued that no McCaffery coached team has played a complete season (great play start to finish with no long, sustained stretches of poor play) yet and that is stunning after 10 years. Perhaps alot of fans believe the program peaked 5 or 6 years ago?

I don't know what the rest of the season will bring but I'd be prepared for anything. Regardless, if fans saw a burgeoning power in the Big Ten alot of them would fight the above obstacles to go to a game. As it is, Iowa is subject to all of the obstacles that play into the challenge of selling out a 15,000-seat arena in the middle of the winter in the midwest. It is harder than it used to be and it isn't going to get any easier sans Iowa fielding a final four caliber team every year.

Lets hope we can avoid the late season crashes we have seen in the past. Let’s also admit that Garza is the main reason for this recent success. Take him out of the equation and what do you have? At best a middle of the conference team and that be pushing it. Hoping to see Garza carry this team to at least a sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament.

Big game tonight against the cheeseheads.

Latest posts