Attendance bump next year?

Gohawks123

Should we expect one? And if so how much? Some of my friends that are die hard football fans still say they aren't buying season tickets for basketball. Is winning the only cure for exciting this fan base?

Should we expect one? And if so how much? Some of my friends that are die hard football fans still say they aren't buying season tickets for basketball. Is winning the only cure for exciting this fan base?

There may be an attendence bump but I would doubt if there is a significant season ticket sales bump.

Hmmm... which school will have a bigger attendance bump next year?

Iowa:
Fran McCaffery (who? Sienna? Where's that?)
"Let's Be Mad Again" (brilliant marketing)

ISU:
Fred Hoiberg
Loyal Son. Forever True. The Mayor. The Magic. Together Again. Welcome Home Fred Hoiberg - Clone Zone - Cyclones.com

I would think Iowa might get the bigger bump they have alot more room to grow. ISU averaged almost 12,500 a game last year (I imagine this is tickets sold) Iowa averaged 10,500 (again I imagine tickets sold).

For Iowa, I can't imagine there will be many more fans unless a couple of more players find their way to the roster.

I shouldn't be, but I am pessimistic about attendance improving. I just don't see the student interest in basketball. I don't think winning will get students out to the games either. Students attendance starting lagging during the Davis years. Students are facing tuition and fee hikes so even they must prioritize their discretionary spending.

There is the general economy that has limited the discretionary income of many fans. There is a lot of competition for those dollars. If one has to travel any distance it adds to the cost of attendance. A trip to the movies might be a better alternative than driving 100 miles one way on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter for an 8pm start.

I shouldn't be, but I am pessimistic about attendance improving. I just don't see the student interest in basketball. I don't think winning will get students out to the games either. Students attendance starting lagging during the Davis years. Students are facing tuition and fee hikes so even they must prioritize their discretionary spending.

There is the general economy that has limited the discretionary income of many fans. There is a lot of competition for those dollars. If one has to travel any distance it adds to the cost of attendance. A trip to the movies might be a better alternative than driving 100 miles one way on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter for an 8pm start.

Basketball in general is not doing great with respect to attendance. This is true at all levels. So, expecting 15,000 for non-conference games is probably not going to happen. However, when the Hawks are winning, people show up for good conference games.

... Iowa averaged 10,500 ...
I don't think the number was that high. I think it was below 10K. And I can guarantee it was tickets sold. There is no way there were more then 10,000 people in attendance at any 1 game, let alone average for the entire season.

So from a strictly attendance stand point (not tickets sold) I think there is only one way to go for Iowa, and that is up.

GO HAWKS!!!

Hmmm... which school will have a bigger attendance bump next year?

Iowa:
Fran McCaffery (who? Sienna? Where's that?)
"Let's Be Mad Again" (brilliant marketing)

ISU:
Fred Hoiberg
Loyal Son. Forever True. The Mayor. The Magic. Together Again. Welcome Home Fred Hoiberg - Clone Zone - Cyclones.com

The fact is regardless of the coach ISU fans are better at showing up for games than Iowa fans. Iowa might see a temporary attendance bump but until they start winning Iowa fans have proven they arent willing to shell out the money to see a losing product

I agree with this. I think some of this is the let down after football season. Right now, there is now way that basketball can match what football has. Coming off a great football season (we hope!), it will again be tough to get excited for basketball.

I don't think the number was that high. I think it was below 10K. And I can guarantee it was tickets sold. There is no way there were more then 10,000 people in attendance at any 1 game, let alone average for the entire season.

So from a strictly attendance stand point (not tickets sold) I think there is only one way to go for Iowa, and that is up.

GO HAWKS!!!

Ohio State with the football team there was the only game with more than 10k. I would guess the average attendance was around 5-6k and some of the games i was at was closer to 3k

Yup. Ultimately, losing 90-75 isn't any better than losing 60-45.

We don't know what kind of year we are going to have because we don't know what our roster is going to look like. I am in NO WAY prepared to give up on next season.

Latest posts