At What Cost Victory? Iowa Injury discussion

I'm not completely worried about losing Richardson. Yeah, he's had a great year, but vandervelde is no slouch! not too big a deal if sandeman's out, except he's a good punt returner.
I hope greenwood is at least back for osu, if not, minny. The hawks need him more than they know.

Conklin worries me too. I know nothing about him, I just know that he's barely played. The safeties are the reason we don't give up big plays. And since we don't give up big plays, we're in every game.

Robinson really disappoints me, because he seemed to have a great game. I don't think Greene could have had much more than 109 yards, and I wanted to see him run all over Indiana this week. Ugh, frustrating. The pressure builds for Stanzi.

just heard from a credible source close to one of the players that were hurt that Greenwood will be available to play on Saturday. The back board and everything was just precautionary. Dace had surgery yesterday morning and they are hoping back for bowl game. Sandeman will be back once he passes all steps for concussion recovery, still possibly this week. Robinson is the wild card, still needs to get the MRI as of yesterday.

If A-Rob is not available - especially if it's determined he'll be out a while - and Wegher is not available to go full speed, we need to start looking at the redshirts. I like the kid a lot, but Paki isn't the guy we want to rely on at this critical point of the season.

Many of you have commented that it would be a shame to burn a redshirt at this point in the season, and I disagree.

I'd be willing to bet that if you gave Brad Rogers a choice right now, he'd play, and he wouldn't hesitate to make that call.

He'll have a chance to make a contribution now, in what's likely to be the most important 4-game stretch of football in Iowa history, AND get a head start towards earning playing time next year, when he'd otherwise be a redshirt freshman sitting in wait behind 4 talented sophomore running backs.

It's a win-win for Brad, the way I see it.

i don't think anyone would argue that rogers would play in a heartbeat. but do we really need to think about that yet. granted, if wegher isn't 100%, it'll show, and i'm pretty sure they won't risk putting him through too much, especially if iowa can HOPEFULLY build a comfortable lead, which i think they will. Paki i'm sure has been watching what has made arob and wegher successful in the offense. he needs a chance and a little bit of support, and he'll be fine, IMO.

just heard from a credible source close to one of the players that were hurt that Greenwood will be available to play on Saturday. The back board and everything was just precautionary. Dace had surgery yesterday morning and they are hoping back for bowl game. Sandeman will be back once he passes all steps for concussion recovery, still possibly this week. Robinson is the wild card, still needs to get the MRI as of yesterday.

Appreciate your post and update on the players...hopefully we'll know more later in the week. The RB situation concerns me the most, I'm hoping for the best! Geez, if only Brinson could've gotten healthy by now, oh well.

O'Meara doesn't have "it." He was abandoned by the coaching staff like nothing I've seen in the Ferentz era. The coaches have no faith in his ability to run adequately.

This is the Big Ten not Pee Wee ball. Time to Nutt up or maybe McNutt up. The fact is there is no reason Iowa should lose these next two games. If we do lose than what everybody said about Iowa being the worst 8-0 team in history is true. Especially as far as Indiana is concerned. Virginia beat Indiana 47-7. You think Virginia is better than Iowa. They loss to Bill and Mary or somebody like that.

Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game of football. One of the many things that makes a team is how well the"next man in" comes in and does his job.
All teams at this point of the season are beat up somewhat. This is where depth and coaching come into play.
This is how i see our injury situation.
On the defensive side of the ball we are in pretty good shape, and that has been our strength all season, so no worries there. (We have capable people/depth)
Offensively: O-line loses some depth, but very solid starting unit even with Dace out.
Receivers/TE's - with the exeption of Sandeman we are probably healthier now that at any point this season
QB-Ricky is healthy
RB- Having A-Rob out for awhile and Wegher dinged up hurts us the most. We need an effective ground game and if that means burning a redshirt, then so be it.
Still 1/3 of the regular season remains to be played and being 8-0 means using every possible option to put the personnel on the field that gives you the best chance of winning.
I'm sure the coaches will do what they know is best for the team when it comes to the RB situation the next couple of weeks.
One game at a time......Go Hawks!!!

I agree with StealHawk Wegher will be ready and run hard. I think the passing game is going to open up this week. Being conservative against a low ranked IU squad isn't going to help us with the Pollsters. Even though the computers have our backs. The thing about this team so far this year is we still havent opened up the offense to its potential there is a reason for that. Never show all your cards. I believe in Captian Kirk and Co. philosophy its time to throw out one of our face cards and slit the throat of the Big Ten. Great teams adapt to injuries and adversity.

No matter the situation, you don't put a player at any unnecessary risk of further injury.
At 8-0, big ten title on the line if your top guy at any position can't go you put your best second option on the field in his place even if it means burning a redshirt.

With that said you have to weigh out how ready a RS player is vs a less talented player with a lot of reps with the 2 deeps.