At This Point, Akrum Wadley’s Mother Wants Him Back at Iowa

A final decision has not been made, but Akrum Wadley's mother would advise him to return to Iowa for his final season as things stand now:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/point-akrum-wadleys-mother-wants-back-iowa

Rob, this is a good article. However, it is currently posted in the Basketball section. :)

It's interesting that his mom wants him to come back and try for the Heisman. I do think he's Heisman-worthy, but lets face it, the stars would have to align just right for this to happen. I think Iowa would need to have another magical season like 2015, but with a better finish for this to even be in the realm of possibility. I also found it interesting to learn that his mom coaches a high school boys basketball team.

I heard on the radio today that some NFL draft insiders said that Wadley was actively looking for an agent. It doesn't mean he is definitely going pro, but I don't think he'd pursue that if he was coming back.

Last edited:
Stars aligning... how are these stars for you:

1). Returning O-line mostly intact from this year.

2). New QB, as were ALL aware, will lead KF to call an abundantly higher percentage of runs to pass.

3). He found a groove this year as a 2nd Rb. He will be THE back next year and he will get a lot of carries

4). Still no passing game, however I think Stanley next year will be exponentially better than Beathard this year, so we will rely heavily on the run, giving whoever the RB is AMPLE TDs.

5). I called this year being bad from the beginning. I didn't think we'd beat ISU (or Michigan for that matter). I'm going on record now saying if Wadley and Jewel are back, we make it to the B1G title game in another season where we do well in spite of poor coaching.

6). I've heard that Davis is going to be given a diminished role, IF he returns (evidently from the sound of it, that will be his choice :-( )

that last sentence is awesome. "He's coming back. I can't see him leaving. I just can't see it."

Rob, this is a good article. However, it is currently posted in the Basketball section. :)

It's interesting that his mom wants him to come back and try for the Heisman. I do think he's Heisman-worthy, but lets face it, the stars would have to align just right for this to happen. I think Iowa would need to have another magical season like 2015, but with a better finish for this to even be in the realm of possibility. I also found it interesting to learn that his mom coaches a high school boys basketball team.

I heard on the radio today that some NFL draft insiders said that Wadley was actively looking for an agent. It doesn't mean he is definitely going pro, but I don't think he'd pursue that if he was coming back.

Thanks! He was a good high school basketball player. :)

I'm curious what dad says, I've seen a few posts from him on land of ten stores on Facebook, based on what mom says about him telling his dad he wants to go, I'm guessing dad is for him going.

If he's confident in 3rd round or better, and guaranteed money, I gotta be honest, it'd be hard to turn that down. $1-2 million, invested even conservatively, at 22, guarantees comfortable retirement by 40. And that's even talking some annual distributions....but that's the 40 year old, married, father in me talking....the 22 year old me is rolling a pimp ride and making it rain for me and my friends....which is why he needs to listen to mom. If he's not pretty damn confident in 3rd round or better and guaranteed money...get the insurance policy, bust ass, get the degree, and ball out.

Thanks! He was a good high school basketball player. :)

The article now appears in the football section, but for some reason I'm now seeing the "HN Podcast: Outback Bowl Preview" show up in the Basketball section. I didn't mean to make things difficult. lol

I think he will ultimately come back. This is NOT the year to declare if you're not seen as a stud running back because this draft is completely loaded. Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, and D'Onta Foreman just to name a few. If he comes back and blows up I could see him getting up to a second round pick.

Maybe he's tired of playing for this moronic coach and staff. Does he really like school? The Heisman talk is silly. Saquon Barkley, Guice for LSU, Cook for FSU all better backs. I don't think he can take the beating of a full season being our #1 back.

The part that stuck out to me was that he's on track to graduate in May. Assuming that is may 2017, not sure how he stays. He'd have the degree; it could only be about raising his stock.

Maybe all the combine prep would change his projected graduation date -- in that case, I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about.

If I'm a 22 year old college grad with a job offer making hundreds of thousands a year (on a practice squad even), it would be hard for me too pass that up, even if I stood the chance to make more next year. then again, I've never been a risk taker, nor do I possess much talent.

Stars aligning... how are these stars for you:

1). Returning O-line mostly intact from this year.

2). New QB, as were ALL aware, will lead KF to call an abundantly higher percentage of runs to pass.

3). He found a groove this year as a 2nd Rb. He will be THE back next year and he will get a lot of carries

4). Still no passing game, however I think Stanley next year will be exponentially better than Beathard this year, so we will rely heavily on the run, giving whoever the RB is AMPLE TDs.

5). I called this year being bad from the beginning. I didn't think we'd beat ISU (or Michigan for that matter). I'm going on record now saying if Wadley and Jewel are back, we make it to the B1G title game in another season where we do well in spite of poor coaching.

6). I've heard that Davis is going to be given a diminished role, IF he returns (evidently from the sound of it, that will be his choice :-( )

Could Fetentz be bringing a new co-offensive coordinator. Somebody who has not called plays before, who will take over the play calling. Then Davis will just kind of consult the new guy on how to do play calling.

Or could Davis just retire as coach and become only a consultant that can't talk to the players. Kind of like Sarkisian at Bama this year.

Maybe he's tired of playing for this moronic coach and staff. Does he really like school? The Heisman talk is silly. Saquon Barkley, Guice for LSU, Cook for FSU all better backs. I don't think he can take the beating of a full season being our #1 back.

The article actually said Akrum and his mom have a lot of respect for Kirk Ferentz so "playing for this moronic coach and staff" really doesn't fit, does it?

I think he will ultimately come back. This is NOT the year to declare if you're not seen as a stud running back because this draft is completely loaded. Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, and D'Onta Foreman just to name a few. If he comes back and blows up I could see him getting up to a second round pick.

Next year will be a pretty strong RB class too

The article actually said Akrum and his mom have a lot of respect for Kirk Ferentz so "playing for this moronic coach and staff" really doesn't fit, does it?
You believe everything said in news? Guy drove into my yard once with blood alcohol of .44. Had to shock him several times to bring him back. The police were jerks and almost contributed to his death. Police were being cagey with me because i was trying to prevent shock as he was on the ground in sub zero temps. Officer asked for my statement since i took the keys. I said, you saw his condition. He wasnt exactly dong donuts. He just drove into my yard. In the paper.....he was doing donuts in my yard.

Who knows what was said about K F.

You believe everything said in news? Guy drove into my yard once with blood alcohol of .44. Had to shock him several times to bring him back. The police were jerks and almost contributed to his death. Police were being cagey with me because i was trying to prevent shock as he was on the ground in sub zero temps. Officer asked for my statement since i took the keys. I said, you saw his condition. He wasnt exactly dong donuts. He just drove into my yard. In the paper.....he was doing donuts in my yard.

Who knows what was said about K F.
cool story

Next year will be loaded the way all the years have been

I'm curious what dad says, I've seen a few posts from him on land of ten stores on Facebook, based on what mom says about him telling his dad he wants to go, I'm guessing dad is for him going.

If he's confident in 3rd round or better, and guaranteed money, I gotta be honest, it'd be hard to turn that down. $1-2 million, invested even conservatively, at 22, guarantees comfortable retirement by 40. And that's even talking some annual distributions....but that's the 40 year old, married, father in me talking....the 22 year old me is rolling a pimp ride and making it rain for me and my friends....which is why he needs to listen to mom. If he's not pretty damn confident in 3rd round or better and guaranteed money...get the insurance policy, bust ass, get the degree, and ball out.

He might go third round, but chances are he won't. Somewhere between 3rd and 5th round. As nearly everyone has indicated Wadley is pretty unlikely to be a primary back. He's a situational player that does well in space and well enough in traffic to have some utility.

TOP 10 Rushers in NFL This Season

1. Ezekiel Elliott (1st rounder, 4th overall)

2. Jordan Howard (5th round, 150 overall)

3. DeMarco Murray (3rd round, 71 overall)

4. Jay Ajayi (5th round, 149 overall)

5. Le'Veon Bell (2nd round, 48th overall)

6. LeSean McCoy (2nd round, 53rd overall)

7. David Johnson (3rd round, 86th overall)

8. LaGarrette Blount (undrafted free agent)

9. Devonta Freeman (4th round, 103 overall)

10. Lamar Miller (4th round, 97 overall).

Latest posts