At peace with this Hawkeye season

CP87

I spent way too much time in 2015 trying to defend the quality of the team, both to others and to myself. That 2015 team was so much fun to watch, but in all honesty there were 1 or 2 horses short after the Drew Ott injury. They demonstrated huge balls to pull off win after win, no matter the adversity. But deep down you knew they were probably more like a top 15-20 team that accomplished top-5 team results throughout the year. Indeed, Football Outsiders had them rated as the 30th best team in their overall efficiency metric that year.

I think this year is different for a few reasons.

First, Iowa's recruiting has seen a major uptake since 2015, there is way more talent on this team.

Second, Iowa has consistently been a top-15ish team by Football Outsiders for 3 years running (13th, 16th, 14th, to be specific). So this season is a natural progression of recent high-level success (they are ranked 6th in team efficiency thus far this year).

Third, while I think wins AT 10-win NW and Wisconsin teams don't get enough respect for that 2015 team, they did have a really easy cross-over schedule and ISU was still a patsy. This year they got a top-10 ISU team (they look down right now, but I bet they finish top-20), a ranked Indiana (who currently has 3 losses to the #2, #3, and #7 teams in the country), and a top-5 blue-blood (PSU). There are probably some SEC fans and pissed-off PSU fans questioning how good Iowa is right now, but I think most of the national media respects this team.

And lastly, I think we all have a better appreciation for how the staff wants to play. We love the field-position battle (now that we win it all the time). We love the look of fear and bewilderment in the opposing QB's eyes. Although it is great to see the offense rip off some big plays (don't look now, but Iowa is 19th among P5, or 29th out of all of FBS, in scrimmage plays of 40+ yards), we also are starting to appreciate how they take care of the ball and set the D up for success.

Jon Miller stated on twitter that in 2015 he wrote a column defending the quality of Iowa's team. His thoughts this year: "We are Iowa, we apologize for nothing, piss off."

Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic just wrote about the fans appreciation for this team.

This team is so much freakin' fun, don't let anyone take that away from you.

If they tell you Iowa has a lousy offense, let it go, we will see how many points our lousy O scores when it matches up against their team (probably enough).

If they tell you PSU would have won but for an injury, tell them, "Maybe, but the injury happened, and Iowa won."

If they tell you Iowa can't keep getting this lucky with turnovers, just smile and say, "We'll see."

I am not sure I have ever had as much confidence in a team I cheer for on a game to game basis. As soon as Iowa made it 17-10 vs. PSU, I thought we would win. When Clifford didn't come back out, I knew we would win. I can't remember the last game I went into thinking we would lose.

This will end eventually, even Alabama just saw its 18 game win-streak come to an end. But enjoy the ride folks.

When our own fans talk about how few yards/lowly ranked our offense is, ask them "How many yards do you need to win a game?"

And if they respond with "The offense only scores when the defense or special teams give them a short field," respond with "Isn't that the point of playing good defense and special teams?"

I spent way too much time in 2015 trying to defend the quality of the team, both to others and to myself. That 2015 team was so much fun to watch, but in all honesty there were 1 or 2 horses short after the Drew Ott injury. They demonstrated huge balls to pull off win after win, no matter the adversity. But deep down you knew they were probably more like a top 15-20 team that accomplished top-5 team results throughout the year. Indeed, Football Outsiders had them rated as the 30th best team in their overall efficiency metric that year.

I think this year is different for a few reasons.

First, Iowa's recruiting has seen a major uptake since 2015, there is way more talent on this team.

Second, Iowa has consistently been a top-15ish team by Football Outsiders for 3 years running (13th, 16th, 14th, to be specific). So this season is a natural progression of recent high-level success (they are ranked 6th in team efficiency thus far this year).

Third, while I think wins AT 10-win NW and Wisconsin teams don't get enough respect for that 2015 team, they did have a really easy cross-over schedule and ISU was still a patsy. This year they got a top-10 ISU team (they look down right now, but I bet they finish top-20), a ranked Indiana (who currently has 3 losses to the #2, #3, and #7 teams in the country), and a top-5 blue-blood (PSU). There are probably some SEC fans and pissed-off PSU fans questioning how good Iowa is right now, but I think most of the national media respects this team.

And lastly, I think we all have a better appreciation for how the staff wants to play. We love the field-position battle (now that we win it all the time). We love the look of fear and bewilderment in the opposing QB's eyes. Although it is great to see the offense rip off some big plays (don't look now, but Iowa is 19th among P5, or 29th out of all of FBS, in scrimmage plays of 40+ yards), we also are starting to appreciate how they take care of the ball and set the D up for success.

Jon Miller stated on twitter that in 2015 he wrote a column defending the quality of Iowa's team. His thoughts this year: "We are Iowa, we apologize for nothing, piss off."

Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic just wrote about the fans appreciation for this team.

This team is so much freakin' fun, don't let anyone take that away from you.

If they tell you Iowa has a lousy offense, let it go, we will see how many points our lousy O scores when it matches up against their team (probably enough).

If they tell you PSU would have won but for an injury, tell them, "Maybe, but the injury happened, and Iowa won."

If they tell you Iowa can't keep getting this lucky with turnovers, just smile and say, "We'll see."

I am not sure I have ever had as much confidence in a team I cheer for on a game to game basis. As soon as Iowa made it 17-10 vs. PSU, I thought we would win. When Clifford didn't come back out, I knew we would win. I can't remember the last game I went into thinking we would lose.

This will end eventually, even Alabama just saw its 18 game win-streak come to an end. But enjoy the ride folks.
For the injury thing, it's the weakest excuse ever:

> Well, he didn't trip over a rock, now did he?

Iowa knocked out 6 PSU starters in that game. Pretty sure better talented teams don't get beaten to a pulp like that. This isn't basketball.

4 P5 qbs down, 6 more to go.

I think we all know this team isn't the second best football team in the nation. Not even close. Top 10? Yep. Somewhere in there down towards the bottom. We are too incomplete and not deep enough like some other blue bloods.

But, this team is ridiculously fun to watch, has given us lots of kickass memories, and they're just a plain great team to cheer for.

This Iowa team will likely lose 2-3 games before the season is out, but I will not melt down. It's not the end of the world and we all know we'd get hit like a Mack truck if we went into the playoffs. But I'm gonna enjoy this one and the memories I've had with my kid no matter what.

This is partly why rankings fucking suck. They're absolute stupidity. Everyone knows we aren't the 2nd best team in the country, but rubes drink the Kool-Aid the AP feeds us and when we drop one against Purdue or Minnesota or nebraska they'll melt down like 4 year old girls who got their Barbies taken away, going on rants about how the team sucks, and Petras sucks, and Kurt Farence sucks, and I hate football, and blah, blah, blah..

Welp, I got news for ya. We are probably 7-10th best in the country, and that's nothing to sneeze at when you consider our market size, recruiting ability, and the type of athletes we get here. 7th through 10th best in the country is punching way above other schools with more recruiting power and better facilities.

Enjoy it while it's here fellas, and shove the meltdowns after the inevitable couple losses up your asses. If/when we get beat it was YOU who was the fool for letting AP news writers set you up on a pedestal to fall from. It was your fault you'll be mad, not the Hawks' fault.

Just enjoy it.

I think we all know this team isn't the second best football team in the nation. Not even close. Top 10? Yep. Somewhere in there down towards the bottom. We are too incomplete and not deep enough like some other blue bloods.

But, this team is ridiculously fun to watch, has given us lots of kickass memories, and they're just a plain great team to cheer for.

This Iowa team will likely lose 2-3 games before the season is out, but I will not melt down. It's not the end of the world and we all know we'd get hit like a Mack truck if we went into the playoffs. But I'm gonna enjoy this one and the memories I've had with my kid no matter what.

This is partly why rankings fucking suck. They're absolute stupidity. Everyone knows we aren't the 2nd best team in the country, but rubes drink the Kool-Aid the AP feeds us and when we drop one against Purdue or Minnesota or nebraska they'll melt down like 4 year old girls who got their Barbies taken away, going on rants about how the team sucks, and Petras sucks, and Kurt Farence sucks, and I hate football, and blah, blah, blah..

Welp, I got news for ya. We are probably 7-10th best in the country, and that's nothing to sneeze at when you consider our market size, recruiting ability, and the type of athletes we get here. 7th through 10th best in the country is punching way above other schools with more recruiting power and better facilities.

Enjoy it while it's here fellas, and shove the meltdowns after the inevitable couple losses up your asses. If/when we get beat it was YOU who was the fool for letting AP news writers set you up on a pedestal to fall from. It was your fault you'll be mad, not the Hawks' fault.

Just enjoy it.

If they lost 2 games this year (maybe 1 reg season, 1 post-season; or B1G champ game and bowl), that would be okay and not totally unexpected. But most of us would admit we were hoping for more, but ultimately would appreciate a terrific season.

If they manage to only lose 1 (lost B1G championship and win a bowl; or win B1G championship and lose in CFP), greatest Iowa season since 1960.

If they lose 3 games from here on out, I don't think there will be many satisfied fans heading into the off-season.

I agree with the above, and after ‘15 I’m a hell of a lot more comfortable just enjoying the magic. I would remind you all, though, that even if we are not the second best team right now, who knows what we will be in seven weeks. Developmental teams develop, and the Hawks are in the top two or three in that category.

This is a special group, I think we can all agree with that. If I were to pick an Iowa team that started 6-0 that was most likely to keep it together, not to give up or have a let down, it wouldn’t have been ‘15, it would have been either this team or ‘09. Let’s see what happens.

Feels like the opposite is happening this year. Check out this video of the SEC show on CBS raving Iowa.

Damn dude, what is it going to take for you to drink the koolaid on this team? I thought for sure the Penn State win would turn you, I was under the impression that was the game you needed since you've been talking up PSU ever since they beat Auburn.

Can you name 9 teams that are more deserving and better than Iowa? I'll give you Georgia, right now Georgia looks damn near unbeatable, but after that every team has flaws. At least with Iowa you start off with one of the nations best defense and I think our special teams might be the best as well, hell the punter was the MVP of the last game. Even Alabama doesn't look all that scary, although the amount of talent that team has is ridiculous, so I'll give you that one as well. But who are all these schools that are better than Iowa? Oklahoma? Cincinnati? Ohio State? I wouldn't be scared of Iowa facing any of those teams on a neutral field. I think Cincinnati is the most over rated team in the country right now and has a schedule similar to our 2015 team.

Iowa may not be the 2nd best team in the country right now but they earned the rank. I can't see how anyone could put Iowa lower than 5.

Certainly not the flashiest number 2 team in America

But the discipline, game management, field position, team play, and attitude

Along with the no panic cool of The Hawks

Make them very difficult to beat

Also Patience

We waited until the 6: 30 mark in the fourth quarter

To launch the game-winning misdirection TD

Stopped them cold and literally beat the living shite out of them

Also Patience

Technically, they are the flashiest #2 team in the nation.

But everything else you said was on point.

I just see the same two polls every one else sees. Our football team is 2nd in the country. Nobody cares if you disagree. We are #2 until somebody proves we aren’t on the field. I thought that was how it worked.

Just enjoy it.
I agree with almost all of this. We are not the second best team in the country but we are a top 10 team. I also believe that if the cards align we might not get hit like a 'mack truck' in the playoffs. If Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC it would knock a two loss Bama out of the playoff. Iowa and OSU run the table and OSU wins the BTT Champ game and Cincinnati wins out and then finally we get the inevitable Oklahoma loss (hopefully to ISU). We can by default skip right past the few teams that are better than us and make a run to the Championship game. Cincy or OSU wont hit us like a mack truck and maybe we can have a defensive battle with Georgia.

1) Georgia
2) OSU
3) Iowa
4) Cincy

I don't have access to the level of data-detail I need to make a definitive point, but esoterically, I don't think there are too many other teams who have beaten three ranked teams, and a fourth who was undefeated (on the road) (MD @ 4-0 at the time). And not only were these four teams beaten, three were absolutely pounded on.

Iowa doesn't deserve a #2 ranking? Hmmm OK. Other than "getting off the bus" eye test, what data is there that contradicts this?

Also Patience

Exactly. If flashy is a ranking determinent, Iowa isn't even in the top 100.

Well said here. So much more goes into a TEAM's elevation than flash and dash.

We'll leave that up to the matador-defense league teams

Latest posts