Assistant Coaches

skinnykilmer17

Everyone talks about stability within our coaching staff. This story and graphic, along with the pink locker room, is a staple on every televised Hawkeye game. Should that stability always be viewed as a positive? Would a few different coaches sprinkled in here or there actually inject a different perspective or something fresh into the program? We seem awfully predictable at times and does that make it easier for opposing coaching staffs, excluding Penn St. coaches, :) to prepare for us?

Before some of you bust me for being _________ (fill in the blank) I recall a few years ago (or several I forget exactly) KF publicly saying there was going to be some major introspection and review of how they did EVERYTHING following that particular season. I recall him being satisfied and nothing really needed changing. I believe it also OK for fans to take an objectively critical view. It is part of being a fan. It really is. We are just fans after all. We aren't going to get anyone fired.

So...

If you could name one assistant coach, if any, that you would like to see replaced who would that be? Try not to base your decision on this one loss?

Norm Parker. While I agree he's one of if not the best D coaches it does nothing for us when he's missing half the season due to his health, like it or not his absence has been detrimental to this team. We need someone who can be there for the team for the entire season and one who can be proactive in helping this team get better. Eventually all the feel good will go away and we'll just be left with a guy who's not doing his job and a coaching staff that is stretched thin. We have seen the results in both subpar defensive play and down right terrible special teams play.

Look, Norm and Ken are great coordinators, but Hayden had a tree because he consistently brought in very talented coaches. Ferentz doesn't have a tree. In particular, Erb needs to be looked at. IIRC he used to be WR coach, we brought in a new WR coach and we have seen a marked improvement in the passing attack. I don't think our improved WR play is a coincidence.

By the same token, isn't Erb now coaching RB's? The very position where a walk-on has had 5 of 7 games this year over 100 yards (I think)?

He also used to have a hand in special teams, but I don't know how much that has changed...

Hate to say it but I have to agree with Garndx, if he can't be Norm then we have to replace him. Keep him around as "special advisor" if he's interested a la Gene Keady, but we are coaching one man short. Plus in the long run it will add years to his life.

By the same token, isn't Erb now coaching RB's? The very position where a walk-on has had 5 of 7 games this year over 100 yards (I think)?

He also used to have a hand in special teams, but I don't know how much that has changed...

Lester Erb - Running Backs and Special Teams

At least he's excelling at half his job......

Look, Norm and Ken are great coordinators, but Hayden had a tree because he consistently brought in very talented coaches. Ferentz doesn't have a tree. In particular, Erb needs to be looked at. IIRC he used to be WR coach, we brought in a new WR coach and we have seen a marked improvement in the passing attack. I don't think our improved WR play is a coincidence.

i'm curious... is it our coaches don't look to go elsewhere or are they not wanted? if they are looked at- are they too comfortable at iowa to leave?

i've heard this discussion quite a few times. i think hayden developed a great tree because his coaches were so highly sought after, and left to make their own name- but the KF staff seems to promote continuity and stay at iowa... am i wrong?

this is not me taking a shot at the staff- just curious to hear what everyone thinks.

Unless you have a stud like Greene, the rushing attack is a function of the o-line. That o-line is getting hella salty and it's young - we could be back under the radar next year and win a ton of games.

Erb also seems a good choice, but the RBs have played pretty well since he moved over. Its hard to rule on his special teams coaching as I am not sure how that is broken down between he and Wilson. My guess is Erb does the offensive side of the kicking game, and Wilson the defensive. Both sides have had their fair share of problems.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how much time during the season coaches devote to coaching vs recruiting? I believe there are greater travel restrictions or visits by coaches during the regular season? Correct?

It would be a difficult schedule to juggle as a coach, game-planning for your next opponent while trying to ensure future success by devoting time in snaring top recruits. I believe I started a thread a while back comparing our future commitments, (at the time I believe it was 15 commits), to Alabama and Ohio St. Our's encompassed something like 12 states. Alabama was 4 or 5 states and Ohio St.'s around 7 states.? A lot of time and effort by our staff compared to the elite programs. Really put stress on the defensive staff being short one coach I would think.

Having said that I would love to see some new ideas, not to mention better clock management, from an OC with a different philosophy. Sorry(?) OkeefeforPrez;)

Everyone talks about stability within our coaching staff. This story and graphic, along with the pink locker room, is a staple on every televised Hawkeye game. Should that stability always be viewed as a positive? Would a few different coaches sprinkled in here or there actually inject a different perspective or something fresh into the program? We seem awfully predictable at times and does that make it easier for opposing coaching staffs, excluding Penn St. coaches, :) to prepare for us?

Before some of you bust me for being _________ (fill in the blank) I recall a few years ago (or several I forget exactly) KF publicly saying there was going to be some major introspection and review of how they did EVERYTHING following that particular season. I recall him being satisfied and nothing really needed changing. I believe it also OK for fans to take an objectively critical view. It is part of being a fan. It really is. We are just fans after all. We aren't going to get anyone fired.

So...

If you could name one assistant coach, if any, that you would like to see replaced who would that be? Try not to base your decision on this one loss?

Correct!!!!

Latest posts