Assessing B10 Bowl Performance

WinOneThisCentury

Definitely the year of what might have been. It's a learning experience learning for years to hate Michigan, OSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc...then root for them in the bowl games because you want the college football world to respect the conference. I think the conference deserves respect, but Wisconsin and Indiana just pissing games down their leg really hurt the conference.

I think a couple of things stood out to me. The top teams in the conference finally matched up speed wise to every team they played. OSU definitely wasn't outclassed and should have won that game. Iowa and Minnesota showed they were on par or better than the athletes from USC and Auburn...even at the skill positions. Even Michigan against Alabama wasn't the debacle I thought it may have been.

Quick thoughts:

OSU - Tough loss, but games like these come down to who makes the big plays in the big moments. Clemson made more of them and OSU squandered scoring opportunities. Once again...evenly matched teams.

Penn State - Good match up for them. Not much to learn...they bitch slapped a team they should have.

Iowa - Iowa was better at the skill positions than USC...say that a few times. Brian Ferentz had a great game plan and called a spectacular game...say that a few times. If Stanley makes middle school throws on 3rd down, we probably score two more times in the fourth quarter. USC never really stopped our offense.

Minnesota - God the head boat rower is annoying...but I'll give him credit...he had his team ready and they didn't wilt under any pressure. They played to win and took their shots...no fear. Good win for Goldy the Gopher.

Michigan State - Dabo Sweeney said Wake Forest would win 8-9 games in any conference. LOL. Right now, Clemson has the easiest road to the playoff in the history of the playoff...they have to play one, maybe two big games a year. It's a lot easier to keep your team healthy when that's the case. You get rest weeks even when you don't have a bye. Ask Penn State as an independent, Nebraska from the Big 8...etc.

Indiana - Wet the bed. First down at the 3 yard line with 8 seconds left in the first half and he doesn't call a timeout and decides to spike it instead. They have to kick a field goal without getting one last shot to score. Up by 6 with 4 minutes left...they fail to put their onside kick coverage in place...and Tennessee kicks it to an open area the size of Johnson County. Stupid. Tom Creen was a better coach.

Wisconsin - Against a terrible PAC12 champion too. 4 turnovers, and never adjusting to a 6'6" athlete in space...actually keeping an running. I just kept thinking why can't they do this against Iowa more often.

Michigan - Harbaugh may be the worst coach in CFB. All I kept thinking is that he must have had a great staff at Stanford to win that many games. They gave up on the run in the second half and that means giving the game to Shea Patterson...and allowing Alabama to tee off. You keep running to shorten the game, you moron. Stupid is as stupid does.

Definitely the year of what might have been. It's a learning experience learning for years to hate Michigan, OSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc...then root for them in the bowl games because you want the college football world to respect the conference. I think the conference deserves respect, but Wisconsin and Indiana just pissing games down their leg really hurt the conference.

I think a couple of things stood out to me. The top teams in the conference finally matched up speed wise to every team they played. OSU definitely wasn't outclassed and should have won that game. Iowa and Minnesota showed they were on par or better than the athletes from USC and Auburn...even at the skill positions. Even Michigan against Alabama wasn't the debacle I thought it may have been.

Quick thoughts:

OSU - Tough loss, but games like these come down to who makes the big plays in the big moments. Clemson made more of them and OSU squandered scoring opportunities. Once again...evenly matched teams.

Penn State - Good match up for them. Not much to learn...they bitch slapped a team they should have.

Iowa - Iowa was better at the skill positions than USC...say that a few times. Brian Ferentz had a great game plan and called a spectacular game...say that a few times. If Stanley makes middle school throws on 3rd down, we probably score two more times in the fourth quarter. USC never really stopped our offense.

Minnesota - God the head boat rower is annoying...but I'll give him credit...he had his team ready and they didn't wilt under any pressure. They played to win and took their shots...no fear. Good win for Goldy the Gopher.

Michigan State - Dabo Sweeney said Wake Forest would win 8-9 games in any conference. LOL. Right now, Clemson has the easiest road to the playoff in the history of the playoff...they have to play one, maybe two big games a year. It's a lot easier to keep your team healthy when that's the case. You get rest weeks even when you don't have a bye. Ask Penn State as an independent, Nebraska from the Big 8...etc.

Indiana - Wet the bed. First down at the 3 yard line with 8 seconds left in the first half and he doesn't call a timeout and decides to spike it instead. They have to kick a field goal without getting one last shot to score. Up by 6 with 4 minutes left...they fail to put their onside kick coverage in place...and Tennessee kicks it to an open area the size of Johnson County. Stupid. Tom Creen was a better coach.

Wisconsin - Against a terrible PAC12 champion too. 4 turnovers, and never adjusting to a 6'6" athlete in space...actually keeping an running. I just kept thinking why can't they do this against Iowa more often.

Michigan - Harbaugh may be the worst coach in CFB. All I kept thinking is that he must have had a great staff at Stanford to win that many games. They gave up on the run in the second half and that means giving the game to Shea Patterson...and allowing Alabama to tee off. You keep running to shorten the game, you moron. Stupid is as stupid does.

OSU ...OK
M...your bias shows. Worst? Really?
PSU ..ya they played down
Iowa.. isnt the Qb a skill player?
Oregon is not terrible
IU ..thats football
You need a better hobby than rowing
MSU is not good... Iowa would smoke them
3 - 0.

The one great wide receiver was a match up nightmare for Iowa. He was just too big and strong and fast for our secondary. The thing is, the defense was able to get pressure without blitzing and keep their guys in the back in a zone with their eyes on the ball and stopping the big play, for the most part.

Was glad to see Iowa beat USC and finally score some points. USC's defense was terrible.

The Gophers had a good win over Auburn. They should move up in final polls/rankings.

A loss is a loss but OSU, Indiana, and Wisky just gave their games away and in Osu's case the officials really had a hand in it. they were all very close toss up losses and if they won the Conf record would have been great.

osu indiana and Mich OC coaching staffs just seemed out of it in the moment and maybe not used to this spotlight.

Mich ran the ball well in first have and then gave up on it. man osu looked too cute in the red zone instead of hammering Robbins on first and goal.

loved seeing the hawks score TDs and lots of them and no FGs

The one great wide receiver was a match up nightmare for Iowa. He was just too big and strong and fast for our secondary. The thing is, the defense was able to get pressure without blitzing and keep their guys in the back in a zone with their eyes on the ball and stopping the big play, for the most part.

The thing is USC has four receivers that match-up nightmares.
WR-X Michael Pittman 6 for 53 yards no TD
WR-Y Amon-Ra St. Brown 9 for 54 yards no TD
WR-Z Tyler Vaughs 6 for 54 no TD
WR-A Drake London 4 for 34 one TD

The previous game against UCLA
Pittman 13 for 104 two TD
St. Brown 8 for 128 no TD
Vaugns 6 for 106 one TD
London 8 for 142 one TD

Iowa had trouble with the slot guy. UCLA had trouble with everybody.

The thing is USC has four receivers that match-up nightmares.
WR-X Michael Pittman 6 for 53 yards no TD
WR-Y Amon-Ra St. Brown 9 for 54 yards no TD
WR-Z Tyler Vaughs 6 for 54 no TD
WR-A Drake London 4 for 34 one TD

The previous game against UCLA
Pittman 13 for 104 two TD
St. Brown 8 for 128 no TD
Vaugns 6 for 106 one TD
London 8 for 142 one TD

Iowa had trouble with the slot guy. UCLA had trouble with everybody.

Yes, you need a really great athlete cover guy to guard a top slot receiver. That defender has to sometimes bump and run and chuck the receiver but if you miss a guy like Edelman or Amendola they are then cruising in space.

Yes, you need a really great athlete cover guy to guard a top slot receiver. That defender has to sometimes bump and run and chuck the receiver but if you miss a guy like Edelman or Amendola they are then cruising in space.

Was Belton covering him?

Was Belton covering him?

Belton probably not covering him all the time. Belton is doing real well as a young player but maybe he doesnt have the speed on some of these elite guys and is more of a Cash type who should be guarding a TEnd or slightly slower receiver. Belton got beat deep twice in that game but he was actually just a step away.

Belton probably not covering him all the time. Belton is doing real well as a young player but maybe he doesnt have the speed on some of these elite guys and is more of a Cash type who should be guarding a TEnd or slightly slower receiver. Belton got beat deep twice in that game but he was actually just a step away.

Slovis could hit guys that were covered pretty well. Eppy had to go rip his throwing arm off, and that is all there is to it. "that's football".

No need to slam Stanley. Yeah he missed a third down throw to ISM that would have gained a lot of yards maybe even a score but he made some great throws throughout the game. He dropped the one to ISM in the third quarter that set up the TD that made it a two score game. After getting robbed of a horrible “covering up” call he came back and hit Ragaini on an even better throw. The Third down throw to LaPorta was delivered. The tightrope TD to Smith was very good. The first pass to Smith on third and long was also delivered where it needed to be. To name a few.

Quick thoughts:

So Ferentz lost to the worst coach in college football . What’s your opinion of Ferentz then?

Latest posts