As Yogi said Deja Vu all over again

longtimer

88 yards rushing against a probably poor team with 50+ new player! Yikes

Is it we just have bad offensive Line? Poor coaching? or Incredibly bad offensive scheme? Or combination of all three?

I watched the Utah State d-line men just stop and stand up Iowa's offensive line men repeatedly. Regarding Iowa's OLine they're not young, they're not inexperienced. They're just not very good. KF has to see this. And what is worth a pause is that they brought in a couple of guys and they did not win starting jobs...they were not appreciably better than the guys that were already on the roster.

I am for giving it time , but if things don’t improve dramatically over the next few games I can’t. Imagine what conference play is going to look like.

It can take time for a line to gel together. I am biting my lip as I go the extra Christian mile here. However, at some point we cross the lines of morality.

88 yards rushing against a probably poor team with 50+ new player! Yikes

Is it we just have bad offensive Line? Poor coaching? or Incredibly bad offensive scheme? Or combination of all three?
Every one just amit it.. BF is just a bad play caller.. and really doesn't know what the hell to do.. wow

Every one just amit it.. BF is just a bad play caller.. and really doesn't know what the hell to do.. wow
Have to agree, after the first two series he seemed like he was spinning a wheel of offensive plays that didn't really have a purpose. Utah State has a stud receiver and good backs. Their coach knew that and play called that way. It just seems like Brain is trying to be too cute too many times instead of being unpredictable. His short pass or bubble screen on 2nd and short is as predictable as snow in January. I can't understand why he doesn't attack downfield, especially with a lead. He calls plays like he's trying to please his old man. Almost can see him in my mind looking for approval from his dad after a 3 yard pick up on 1 down. It's like he calls plays he can defend to someone instead of taking any chances. Calls plays like he's AFRAID!

Have to agree, after the first two series he seemed like he was spinning a wheel of offensive plays that didn't really have a purpose. Utah State has a stud receiver and good backs. Their coach knew that and play called that way. It just seems like Brain is trying to be too cute too many times instead of being unpredictable. His short pass or bubble screen on 2nd and short is as predictable as snow in January. I can't understand why he doesn't attack downfield, especially with a lead. He calls plays like he's trying to please his old man. Almost can see him in my mind looking for approval from his dad after a 3 yard pick up on 1 down. It's like he calls plays he can defend to someone instead of taking any chances. Calls plays like he's AFRAID!
It was almost as if he came out with a mentality of were going to be different the first two drives. And then once those drives were over it was like he had this amazing idea to go back to calling shit with a "they'll never expect me to revert back to the old me" mentality. It's honestly mind blowing.

I've always been skeptical when people say someone is a bad play caller.

Is the dffiition of a bad call mean that it was well defended and didn't go for a long gain?

Does that mean they call the wrong plays on a given down and distance. And if someone knows that much about FB, what would be the right play to call on those down and distance, which personnel? and which formation would make more sense?

Is the dffiition of a bad call mean that it was well defended and didn't go for a long gain?

Does that mean they call the wrong plays on a given down and distance. And if someone knows that much about FB, what would be the right play to call on those down and distance, which personnel? and which formation would make more sense?
No a bad call is a predictable play the defense has seen Iowa run a hundred times in the same situation (usually unsuccessfully). A bad call is a running play into a stacked box over and over again without the defense having to adjust. A bad call is throwing very low percentage pass routes on 3rd and long because you ran the first two plays into a stacked box. Brian designs good plays which is evident with the first scripted series of the game. Brian does not make good in game adjustments after the game has started. My opinion, and no, I'm not a coach. But I have eyes and have watched OC's under Fry with innovative offensive ideals and make in game adjustments. I watch other teams do it all the time. In my opinion, which is worth nothing, Brian is in over his head.

They need to figure out what this team is good at and go with it.
If you noticed in our loss to Purdue after the Penn State win, Purdue's coach basically ran the same play over and over. Utah State did the same, luckily we didn't turn over the ball on Cade's pass where he tried to squeeze it between two defenders and the fumble on the punt. Game could have been close. Utah State stuck with a game plan using the abilities of their players. They took what Iowa gave them. What is wrong with that? What is wrong with opening up the running game with the passing game? It's not against the rules, someone tell Kirk.

I would answer your question that when an OC consistently makes the DC of another team (regardless of talent) look as though they're a genius I would say there's issues regarding the play calling.

Find interviews of Brian Ferentz talking XS and Os and then compare to Urban Meyer talking XS and Os. Some people just don't have "it" and that's OK.
There is a reason coaches work their way up the ladder, and not just given the keys to the offense.

No a bad call is a predictable play the defense has seen Iowa run a hundred times in the same situation (usually unsuccessfully). A bad call is a running play into a stacked box over and over again without the defense having to adjust. A bad call is throwing very low percentage pass routes on 3rd and long because you ran the first two plays into a stacked box. Brian designs good plays which is evident with the first scripted series of the game. Brian does not make good in game adjustments after the game has started. My opinion, and no, I'm not a coach. But I have eyes and have watched OC's under Fry with innovative offensive ideals and make in game adjustments. I watch other teams do it all the time. In my opinion, which is worth nothing, Brian is in over his head.

Balderdash. Coach Ferentz has used the offensive play calling to establish tendencies on tape and then break those tendencies for decades. Ferentz and his OCs have been masterful at establishing a formation or look as being a certain play and then every so often when everyone is thinking to themselves "off tackle left" they'll run some two yard out to the opposite side and gain maybe 4 or 5 yards on the play when the OT left run would have only yielded a yard. It's little things like that which the casual fan misses that really make our staff great.

If you noticed in our loss to Purdue after the Penn State win, Purdue's coach basically ran the same play over and over. Utah State did the same, luckily we didn't turn over the ball on Cade's pass where he tried to squeeze it between two defenders and the fumble on the punt. Game could have been close. Utah State stuck with a game plan using the abilities of their players. They took what Iowa gave them. What is wrong with that? What is wrong with opening up the running game with the passing game? It's not against the rules, someone tell Kirk.

Just be patient. When the Wildcat Formation had been disregarded by every other program for about 6 or 7 years we finally started to run it. This staff adapts. It just takes some time.

Just be patient. When the Wildcat Formation had been disregarded by every other program for about 6 or 7 years we finally started to run it. This staff adapts. It just takes some time.
The wildcat worked for about 3 weeks. Hey look, no QB. I wonder if they're gonna run?