Article on Capt'n Kirk...

NewMexHawk

Interesting article by someone who nothing about Iowa football:

Is Kirk Ferentz the most overrated coach in college football? | TheMatadorSports.com

If one takes the first two years away (4-19) from KF's record because he was rebuilding Iowa (81 - 55 overall record) suddenly KF's record becomes (77-36) and (45-25 in the Big 10), which isn't too bad over a 10-year period.

I believe this is a more honest way of looking at his record simply because he had little to work with his first 2 years. Compare with Urban Myer who walked into a loaded program or some other coaches.

Also, there is the fact that coaches like Myer has a recruiting goldmine outside his back door compared to Iowa's recruiting base. This writer just cannot compare teams like Iowa to Texas, Okla, Ohio State, or Florida simply because of the recruiting advantages they have over Iowa.

Calling Ferentz a mediocre coach considering what he has done and maintained at Iowa indicates what the writer really doesn't know about Iowa or KF or Big 10 football. But graduating from a high school in florida and living in Florida, that should not surprise anyone. The young man needs to do a little more research than just look at someone's record and then make assumptions because it is quite obvious he has no idea what he is talking about.

Maybe you shouldn't let second rate haacks get to you...if he knew what he was talking about he would be paid by ABC/ESPN/CBS/FOX/BTN/FSN/etc etc...not writing from his mom's computer...or wherever.

Almost every comment on the bottom of that blog was trashing the writer. Everyone thinks/knows he is a joke. The writers bio is priceless....

This guy really ****** me off. Here's what I had to say to hi:

EJ Hayes - you are an absolute idiot.

Kirk Ferentz' Iowa Hawkeyes have finished 8th in the nation or higher 4 times this past decade. Iowa isn't a program that should be finishing in the top 8 in the nation 4 times in a decade. It's just not in the cards for a state with limited recruiting like Iowa. Maybe once or twice, but 4 times... that is exceeding odds and expectations. That's why he makes the money he does. That's why he is adored in this state because we know what he is accomplishing is not normal.

Furthermore, since Iowa started making bowl games (in year 3 of his tenure)... Iowa has made a bowl every single year except one. That's making a bowl 8 times in the last 9 years. The Alamo bowl has been the lowest bowl on the totem pole for Iowa in all of their 8 bowl appearances. 1/3 of BCS teams would jump for joy if they could even make the Alamo caliber bowl 2 times in 10 years...

Iowa has made a New Year's bowl 6 of their 8 bowl appearances. How many teams in the Nation can say they've made a New Year's bowl 6 times in the last 9 years? Notre Dame can't, Michigan can't, Miami can't, Florida St. can't, just to name a few.

How many teams have made two BCS Bowls in the last 9 years? So before you go shooting off your big pathetic mouth do a little research before you make absolutely absurd comments like:

"It is just find it amazing that college football’s 8th highest paid coach continues to receive the monetary compensation,media adoration, and pass from scrutiny, while fielding an average product year after year."

And if you want to look like a real journalist use my service ProofreadingPal.com so you don't look like a fool in your closing paragraph.

His site will not last. An oxymoronic disclaimer statement and no commitment to doing the job correctly as a result. This editorial on Kirk will generate site traffic, a very unfortunate circumstance.

He is a college football troll with a website. Nothing more.

It doesn't matter what other people say about Kirk or the Iowa program. We know the truth.
He does the most with the least. We are a state of only 3M people and yet Kirk has had Iowa in the top ten more years than not. Iowa is well represented in the NFL.

Last edited:
Here's what I wrote on the site:

"Sigh…another know-nothing writer with nothing factual to say.

The $3 million is also based upon a fit KF has with the University of Iowa, its integrity, its history and its ethics. Not just purely wins and losses. His approach and honesty is well above reproach…worth every penny he’s paid. In comparison, look how RichRod isn’t fitting in with Michigan and he’s going to be gone after this year.

Iowa’s population is 3 million….that’s it. We do not have the built in recruiting base such as USC, OSU, Texas, Alabama, Florida…on and on. What he does at Iowa is astounding."

Maybe you shouldn't let second rate haacks get to you...if he knew what he was talking about he would be paid by ABC/ESPN/CBS/FOX/BTN/FSN/etc etc...not writing from his mom's computer...or wherever.

I wouldn't call that a good enough measuring stick. :)

He didn't get to me...just voiced an opinion. I kind of get a kick out of reading articles like that from guys who don't know what they are talking about, which includes most writers.

Actually, I would disagree with the article (didn't even bother to read it) and say that I think Kirk Ferentz may be one of the most UNDERRATED coaches in college football. How many coaches have achieved more with supposedly "inferior" talent than Ferentz has?

If I remember correctly, he has had more than just this article taking pot shots at Iowa.

Well, if you were in Florida wouldn't you have a chip on your shoulder from Iowa coming down and kicking the butt of a team from one of your conferences every year in January? Don't be angry at him, feel sorry for him.

Well, if you were in Florida wouldn't you have a chip on your shoulder from Iowa coming down and kicking the butt of a team from one of your conferences every year in January? Don't be angry at him, feel sorry for him.

LOL...good point.

He didn't get to me...just voiced an opinion. I kind of get a kick out of reading articles like that from guys who don't know what they are talking about, which includes most writers.

Four top 10 finishes in 9 years with 2 BCS appearances is well beyond the definition of 'mediocre'. Would this 'writer' consider Nebraska, Penn State, Florida State, Oregon, Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia...all to be mediocre programs. None of these has a considerably better record or more top 10 finishes in the last 10 years than Iowa. And none have played in a NC game during that time period. Therefore, by this 'journalist's' logic, these are mediocre programs also.

I don't get why people always think to call Captain Kirk overrated. How about calling guys like:
Lane Kiffin (what has he ever done except lose)
Pete Carroll (cheater who was paid millions just to give USC the death penalty).
Urban Meyer/Mack Brown (I could probably coach those teams to a national title).

The hate on Kirk is just stupid when someone is doing things the right way, no cheating, loyalty, integrity. Who does this writer work for... Jim Rome?

I wonder how this 'writer' (term used loosely) would view coaches Like Mack Brown, Les Miles, or Nick Saban had they not kept climbing the coaching ladder.

Me think it's best to be overrated then not rated at all, just ask The Zooker or Brewster.

How many times does Derek Jeter show up at the top or near the top of overrated players in MLB? However, there's not a team that wouldn't love to have him. In other words, I'll bet there's at leat 90 other schools in the BCS that would love to have our overrated coach even at 3.02 M.

Here is my reply to that bullsh*t article...

DDHawkeye on August 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

IGNORANT!!!! This article is just plain wrong. EJ Hayes should be very thankful that The Ferentz is a merciful Ferentz. It is amazing to me that The Ferentz has allowed this garbage to be written about Him. The Ferentz should destroy this idiot for the blasphemous crap he has written here.

Besides the conference championships, and the win/losses Iowa; in the Kirk era; Played Texas, Florida(2) USC, Ohio State, LSU all national champions, maybe Iowa didnt win them all but at no time could you say that Iowa wasn't coached well.

Its our secret. They think because Iowa doesn't blow a team out every week that they are not good. Kirk won't run up the score. Its a class program.

Don't forget how these guys jumped on the Boise State bandwagon last year, when Boise was running up wins over, Fresno state, New Mexico State, UC Davis.

Latest posts