Article about former Hawk coach Paul Longo

Translation: It all started with Iowa. Question: Why isn't Iowa mentioned as one of the primary weight programs. It is like their are talking about Jerusalem. Something good happened there a long time ago, but today...

I mean what a crock of ****. Coaches come from all over the nation to learn from Iowa's S&C program. The only reason Longo got a shot at lowly GVState is because he learned at Iowa. However, Forde makes it sound like a freaking promotion to go to GVS.

Five years as an assistant at Iowa prepared him to be a head strength coach. Those years should be
more aptly noted.

Forde needs to get some Hawk mail for this piece.

Last edited:
For Longo to leave Iowa and go to a D-II program it definitely was a step down. Aside from that if you watch the videos of Doyle on HawkeyeSports he is the exact opposite of Longo. If I was a head coach I most certainly would not want a strength coach like Longo who does no "almost no exhorting":

"Watch the short, bespectacled 51-year-old with the salt-and-pepper crew cut work, and one thing stands out: the sound of silence....And no barking by Longo...The Professor raises his voice only to be heard, never to motivate or berate...Other than blowing his whistle and calling out time intervals, Longo doesn't do much talking and does almost no exhorting"

Latest posts