Arkansas Fires Bielema

Barry averaged 8 wins his last 6 years as head coach with no 11+ win seasons. They were basically Iowa under Barry.

Bret average 10 wins a year in 6 years as Wisconsin's head coach with 3 11 win seasons and 3 rose bowls.

Barry knows how to hire coaches sure, but to attribute to him brets success, uhn-uhn.

I agree with this. And to grade his coaching success in the SEC at Arkansas is not a fair evaluation of his coaching abilities. Coaching in the SEC where most years 5 or 6 of the top 20 teams in the country reside is a not an easy place to win 9+ games year in and year out.

I agree with this. And to grade his coaching success in the SEC at Arkansas is not a fair evaluation of his coaching abilities. Coaching in the SEC where most years 5 or 6 of the top 20 teams in the country reside is a not an easy place to win 9+ games year in and year out.

You need to get down and dirty to recruit in the SEC. You can’t do things the right way and win in that conference. Bret wouldn’t cross that line and therefore wasn’t successful.

You need to get down and dirty to recruit in the SEC. You can’t do things the right way and win in that conference. Bret wouldn’t cross that line and therefore wasn’t successful.

True, i'm not certain but they may lead the nation in the coaches who cheat category as well.

Another interesting discussion point ... what do folks think of this decision by Bielema yesterday (from link).

https://sports.yahoo.com/arkansas-fires-bret-bielema-minutes-hogs-loss-missouri-235342838.html

After Arkansas tied the game at 45-45 with a field goal in the fourth quarter on Friday, Missouri embarked on what would be the Tigers’ game-winning drive. With 1:25 left and the Tigers at the Arkansas 12, Mizzou committed a holding penalty.

The penalty happened on first down. The clock stops inside of two minutes for accepted offensive penalties. Arkansas had two timeouts.

Not wanting Missouri to repeat first down, Bielema declined the penalty and took a timeout. Had he accepted the penalty, Missouri would have been at the Arkansas 22 and had first down. The Hogs would have still had two timeouts. Given that Missouri was playing for a game-winning field goal, making that kick as difficult as possible seems imperative. Therefore, Arkansas should have accepted the penalty.

I can’t argue this. He probably needs a program to sustain success, not build it like at Arkansas.

Ya, it's a good thing that OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, IN, IL, Purdue... the big doesn't get into trouble... Oh, wait, that's list of....

Not to mention, PSU.

Btw, what ever happened with the Iowa Academics fraud case in 2006?

The guy does no look healthy. He was the 'hot coach' of the year when he left Wisconsin. And he's fallen to this.

I hope he settles himself and hits the restart button. And then has success.
He must have a HUGE...bank account. LOL
110294188_AN-PF-Carin-07-0814_r600x400.jpg

Bret had a rough go in Arkansas but I'd still take him as Iowa's coach in a heartbeat. The guy had as much success in 4 or 5 years as Wisconsin's head coach as kirk has had in 2 decades. If we were to bring bret in, I believe we would immediately improve our recruiting and would immediately compete with Wisconsin in the west. Seriously, imagine the energy he'd inject into this program. But alas kirk still needs more time to show what he can do.

Bret will probably end up in Nebraska which is bad news for us.
Interested why you think Nebraska. When contacted, Neb AD said, "I don't know anything about him."

I'm thinking K-State.

Bielema is a solid, but not great coach kind of like the guy Iowa has now. The SEC West is probably the most competitive division in College Football and Arkansas is probably the 5th best job in that division at best so it's fair to point out that it's an uphill climb for success there. But at the same time, it's not as if this is an impossible place to win. Under the two previous full time head coaches, Arkansas regularly finished in the top half of that tough division. Of the past 20 seasons, they've been in 14 bowl games, Under 5 years of Bielema, the Razorbacks became a .500 program overall and a losing program in the SEC. That is below standard for that program. Arkansas has legit top 25-30 expectations year in and year out with the occasional great year every 4 years or so which is similar to Iowa. Five years ago, a lot of people would have gladly traded Bielema for Ferentz and I wonder how those people feel today, because these two coaches are probably close equal in quality.

Look at the B10 East and what is happening there- OSU, PSU, MSU and Michigan. A very strong division also. And Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers all appear to be rising as programs.

Must not have thrown down enough cash and prizes. Maybe Patino from Louisville could show him how to do that.

Latest posts