Arizona hasn't seen DJK or Jewell

HawkKing81

In last year's game, Iowa played without DJK and obviously Jewell.

Iowa also didn't have Bulaga and Moeaki in that game.

I look for our offense to really be underrated and the key to us winning this game. They will move the sticks.

Very good points, is it also worth mentioning that I had honestly forgotten about Coker because of our Running Back dominance thus far- I now feel totally fine with him redshirting if needed because I truly believe that both Rogers and Paki are serviceable in emergencies because of our depth at the WR postition.

I was wondering why this wasn't brought up more often. I knew DJK and Bulaga were out, but I forgot about Moeaki (though it doesn't come as a shock). The addition of DJK alone brings a different dimension to our offense. Our O is underrated in general, by fans as well as the press.

I was wondering why this wasn't brought up more often. I knew DJK and Bulaga were out, but I forgot about Moeaki (though it doesn't come as a shock). The addition of DJK alone brings a different dimension to our offense. Our O is underrated in general, by fans as well as the press.

What makes it even better is that DJK and McNutt are on the same page with Stanzi already. I dont think i saw that happen all year last year. Are line is better then i thought it would be at this point and we have 2 really good RB's to boot.

im sorry but i really dont see this game being as close as a lot of you guys think it will be. I know alot of people on here are being very pessimistic just in case it turns out bad that they can say, see i had a feeling about this game. Then if the game turns out to be a decent Iowa win they can then say, wow we really are this good and turn the season on from there.

Very good points, is it also worth mentioning that I had honestly forgotten about Coker because of our Running Back dominance thus far- I now feel totally fine with him redshirting if needed because I truly believe that both Rogers and Paki are serviceable in emergencies because of our depth at the WR postition.

Think it is time to give up the Rogers at TB talk. He is a fullback. Even when Iowa went as deep as they could on their bench, he didn't get reps as TB.

I have no fear of optimism based on demonstrable fact. And that's why I'm taking Iowa, 41-9. As some of you have noted, the Iowa offense is underrated. The Hawks have been methodical and efficient in the first two warm-up games, but some of the gloves come off in Tucson. Combine that with what is still at least a top five defense and, well, neither time zones nor warm temps nor dark of night shall stay these Hawkeyes from completing their next round of domination.

Let us not forget how the Hawkeyes took the starch out of the White House at State College, how the Hawkeyes blew up the Badgers in Madison, how the Hawkeyes traded blow for blow with the Spartans and departed East Lansing with a gladiator's victory.

Sorry, but this isn't Toledo or The Citadel that's stopping by Tucson on Saturday night. And when it's all over Arizona fans and other skeptics will be left wondering, "Who were those Hawkeyes?" Some of us already know.

Oh, and I wouldn't discount the impact of this talented and veteran defense being out to make their hospitalized coordinator proud. So much the worse for the Wildcats.

I have no fear of optimism based on demonstrable fact. And that's why I'm taking Iowa, 41-9. As some of you have noted, the Iowa offense is underrated. The Hawks have been methodical and efficient in the first two warm-up games, but some of the gloves come off in Tucson. Combine that with what is still at least a top five defense and, well, neither time zones nor warm temps nor dark of night shall stay these Hawkeyes from completing their next round of domination.

Let us not forget how the Hawkeyes took the starch out of the White House at State College, how the Hawkeyes blew up the Badgers in Madison, how the Hawkeyes traded blow for blow with the Spartans and departed East Lansing with a gladiator's victory.

Sorry, but this isn't Toledo or The Citadel that's stopping by Tucson on Saturday night. And when it's all over Arizona fans and other skeptics will be left wondering, "Who were those Hawkeyes?" Some of us already know.

You are crazy if you think that Iowa is going to win 41-9. I think Iowa wins, but it won't be by 32 points. You need to take off the black and gold glasses.

i maintain my 34-14 call

41-9 is a little ridiculous unless 32 or 27 get loose a couple times when we're running the clock out in the second half

What makes it even better is that DJK and McNutt are on the same page with Stanzi already. I dont think i saw that happen all year last year. Are line is better then i thought it would be at this point and we have 2 really good RB's to boot.
Don't forget to mention our TE....He is OK too! :)

I think Iowa's offense is very good, but we also have not been tested yet. I am sorry ISU is a very overated team, several people though they were gonna be a .500 team this year. They are gonna be lucky to get to 4 wins this year. They are very young and very weak. Iowa's offense has not gone against this type of speed at all. Arizona is a very fast team and they are gonna force Iowa into some mistakes. The key is if Iowa can come out at the start and push them around and pound on them. If iowa sets the tone early, then I think they can control the tempo of the game and the clock.

Arizona will bring a high powered offense to the game, their defense is also pretty good with two great DE's that will give our OLINE fits all night long. Their Secondary is very quick and will press the receivers something we have not seen yet this year.

I personally think Arizona is a loaded team and we are traveling out there to play them, where we have not had much success in years past. I don't think Iowa blows them out, I think it will be a back forth game, with final pts spread being less than 10.

I'm gonna predict: Iowa 24 Arizona 13

Its gonna be a great test for our team this early in the season!

I look for our offense to really be underrated and the key to us winning this game. They will move the sticks.

But haven't you heard that Arizona has gotten SO much better on offense since last year while Iowa is just the same old team (maybe even not as good as last year because we lost 6 players to the NFL). At least that is what everyone seems to be saying.

You mentioned no DJK, but here are some other things about the offense Arizona saw last year. Rieff was starting his 2nd game, ARob was starting his 2nd game, Riesner was starting his 1st or 2nd game, McNutt was playing his 3rd game at WR, and Hampton was injured.

Last edited:
But haven't you heard that Arizona has gotten some much better on offense since last year while Iowa is just the same old team (maybe even not as good as last year because we lost 6 players to the NFL). At least that is what everyone seems to be saying.

You mentioned no DJK, but here are some other things about the offense Arizona saw last year. Rieff was starting his 2nd game, ARob was starting his 2nd game, Riesner was starting his 1st or 2nd game, McNutt was playing his 3rd game at WR, and Hampton was injured.

I get the sarcasm reflecting what UA fans have been saying. However, the differences in UA's O are actually rather intriguing.

- UA lost 2 of it's top 4 WRs from the '09 squad (Turner and Dean) ... and those guys combined for 90 receptions! Thus, this impact is a DOWNGRADE to UA's O.

- Foles is much more experienced and familiar with the UA O. This is obviously a significant UPGRADE to UA's O (and a primary reason why UA fans are so optimistic)

- Nwoko started playing after the Iowa game and has developed into a pretty darn solid power runner for UA. He provides much more of a change of pace from Grigsby. This also affords UA the opportunity to move Antolin out wide which improves the chances that he can get the ball in space. This is an important UPGRADE to UA's O.

- Criner really emerged in '09 as UA's top WR. He possesses both great size and speed. He's kinda like their version of McNutt. His emergence is definitely an UPGRADE to UA's O.

- UA's TE is now more experienced. He was thrown into the mix last year because GRONK was injured. The increased experience is a SLIGHT UPGRADE to UA's O.

- UA's OL appears to NOT be quite as good as they were last year. This observation is based more on performance than personnel changes. The impact of this is a DOWNGRADE to UA's O.

- While I know that UA fans are high on Tutogi at HB, as I recall he's still was injured through the first week or two. Furthermore, the starter last year was the elder GRONK. Thus, this provides a SLIGHT DOWNGRADE to UA's O.

REMARKS:

In my eyes, the most important upgrade to the UA O was the emergence of Foles. However, the most important downgrade has been the performance, thus far, of the UA OL. Quite frankly, I don't know how much these attributes off-set one another. In my estimation, the UA O will definitely be better than it was in 2010. However, what impact will that have? Iowa game-planned last year to take away the threat of Scott .... and UA's lone offensive TD resulted from a the passing ability of a QB who Iowa didn't specifically scheme against.

The good news for Arizona fans is that they're starting QB this Saturday was the one who managed to score against Iowa last year. The bad news is, how well will he fare with Iowa specifically gameplanning to counter his particular skill set? I don't know.

I don't mind being called crazy for offering my opinion and providing a few basic bits of evidence to support it, but I'm not sure why it's necessary to use that terminology to express your disagreement. Perhaps a more genteel vocabulary would be appropriate.

And I'll be waiting for a formal apology immediately after the game. And if my call turns out to be wrong, I'll be happy to admit it.

BTW, would it have been "crazy" for someone to suggest a team that lost to Iowa State last year would beat Arizona 33-0 in the Holiday Bowl? Crazy, maybe, but accurate... :)

I'd make the following complementary assertions:

- The UA D didn't face off against a veteran McNutt
- The UA D didn't face off against a fully healthy Sandeman
- (as previously asserted) They didn't see DJK either
- Reisner is better all-around now than he was last year when he started against UA
- Zusevics is arguably less exploitable by speed rushers than Calloway was (especially considering that Calloway was a bit rusty early in the season)
- While Richardson was likely a bit more punishing at the point of attack, the current OGs are arguably quicker (and possibly better) at getting to the next level.
- By my estimation, the '10 OL entering the UA game is actually BETTER than its '09 counterpart.
- ARob is a MUCH better runner now than he was the last time he faced off against UA.
- Iowa is arguably much deeper at TE entering the UA game this year than they were last year. Before, Reisner was the ONLY receiving threat at TE. This year, BOTH Reisner and Herman are legit threats.

AND, what is most striking is that many of UA's most impressive defenders from last year are now gone. They lost Mitchell (DT), Ross (CB), and Nelson (S). And, while I wasn't terribly impressed about their LBs in '09 ... they still lost ALL their starting LBs. The current "stars" of the UA D, in my estimation, are Brooks Reed, Elmore, and Wade. Perkins and Golden got good experience last year ... and they should be good starters for them this year.

What provides me with a good bit of confidence is that I really think that Iowa's DEs match up well with Arizona's DEs ... at least in pass protection. I think that Stanzi will have time to throw when Arizona doesn't blitz. Thus, that will force UA's hand to blitz a fair bit ... and that increases the odds that Iowa might hit on big plays.