Arizona Game Tailgating

70585STRONG

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time visitor. Absolutely love the forum as it keeps me sane during the off season. Me and some buddies are headed down to the AZ game for my bachelor party (awesome idea on my brother's part). We are staying PHX Friday night and I wanted to find out where hawk fans will be Friday and if anyone knew what the tailgating was like or where some great bars are in Tuscon to enjoy the pregame festivities. A friend of mine who lives in PHX thinks pool parties substitute for tailgates, which just doesn't seem right but I wanted to see what everyone here thought or where all the hawkeye fans will be congregated before the game. The game is 3 months away and I am pumped up!

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time visitor. Absolutely love the forum as it keeps me sane during the off season. Me and some buddies are headed down to the AZ game for my bachelor party (awesome idea on my brother's part). We are staying PHX Friday night and I wanted to find out where hawk fans will be Friday and if anyone knew what the tailgating was like or where some great bars are in Tuscon to enjoy the pregame festivities. A friend of mine who lives in PHX thinks pool parties substitute for tailgates, which just doesn't seem right but I wanted to see what everyone here thought or where all the hawkeye fans will be congregated before the game. The game is 3 months away and I am pumped up!

considering its going to be about 110 degrees during the day, a pool party is very appropriate. you will not want to be on asphalt tailgaiting in a parking lot, at least that was my impression when we went to Tempe for the ASU game a few years back. Our group rented a house in Tucson and will be grilling and hanging at the private pool all day(after our early morning round of golf) until we take a taxi to the game. I doubt we will head to the stadium or campus much more than an hour or two before kickoff at the most.

considering its going to be about 110 degrees during the day, a pool party is very appropriate. you will not want to be on asphalt tailgaiting in a parking lot, at least that was my impression when we went to Tempe for the ASU game a few years back. Our group rented a house in Tucson and will be grilling and hanging at the private pool all day(after our early morning round of golf) until we take a taxi to the game. I doubt we will head to the stadium or campus much more than an hour or two before kickoff at the most.

It rained all day that day.

I was wondering about this too. Do they even have much of a tailgate scene down there? We're driving down and bringing the tailgate stuff with us but I have no clue what the scene is like down there.

It rained all day that day.

we played golf two days in Tempe and both were ridiculously hot, even with 7-8am tee times. I don't recall rain all day before the game, it has been a few years though, but I seem to recall the weather was ok until late afternoon/early evening. We were poolside at the hotel most of the day chalk full with tuba and horn players most of the day, playing IHTINB and the Iowa fight song over and over, Best Damn Sports show taped across the street, etc. the weather was certainly an issue as gametime approached, but it didn't rain all day to the best of my recollection, which was certainly foggy by early evening as kickoff approached :)

Last edited:
we played golf two days in Tempe and both were ridiculously hot, even with 7-8am tee times. I don't recall rain all day before the game, it has been a few years though, but I seem to recall the weather was ok until late afternoon/early evening. We were poolside at the hotel most of the day chalk full with tuba and horn players most of the day, playing IHTINB and the Iowa fight song over and over, Best Damn Sports show taped across the street, etc. the weather was certainly an issue as gametime approached, but it didn't rain all day to the best of my recollection, which was certainly foggy by early evening as kickoff approached :)

I think you are right. And yeah, chances are good it'll be a scorcher in Tuscon.

I'm sure there's some shade that exists somewhere in the city of Tucson. We'll have a car full of Hawk fans looking to tailgate for this game as well. A canopy, bags game, and cooler full of beverages will be along for the ride. Can't wait for this game!!

Were staying at the Phoenix Airport Hotel and driving to the game Saturday and staying one night in Tuscon.Thought we would go into Tempe Friday night and check out some of the night life.

I'm sure there's some shade that exists somewhere in the city of Tucson. We'll have a car full of Hawk fans looking to tailgate for this game as well. A canopy, bags game, and cooler full of beverages will be along for the ride. Can't wait for this game!!

The 110 panichawkeye was talking about is in the shade. Arizona does not have tall trees unless go to the mountains. That's why we have our early fall games in the evening. Just drink a bottle of water between beers to keep your self hydrated.

The 110 panichawkeye was talking about is in the shade. Arizona does not have tall trees unless go to the mountains. That's why we have our early fall games in the evening. Just drink a bottle of water between beers to keep your self hydrated.
Arizona Hawkeye I was wondering just how bad are the seats in the 1st row,is it that hard to see the game from there.Just wondering

The average high in Tucson for Sept is 93 degrees. link
That is slightly cooler than Phoenix due to the elevation.

The wife and I will be looking for the Hawkeye crawl on Fri night.

Arizona Hawkeye I was wondering just how bad are the seats in the 1st row,is it that hard to see the game from there.Just wondering

I'm afraid I can't help You There. Besides being a life long Hawkeye fan, I follow the ASU Sun Devils. I've been to Sun Devil Stadium several times but have not made the trip south. To ASU fans UA is the ISU of Arizona. If you make the trip south don't stop on the side of the road for a rest stop. If you make a trip into the bush. You may be surprised by an illegal or a drug runner with a AK47. Law Officers and farmers are being shot. The state leg. has pass a law this year that allows people in Arizona to can carry a concealed weapon with out a permit.

I'm afraid I can't help You There. Besides being a life long Hawkeye fan, I follow the ASU Sun Devils. I've been to Sun Devil Stadium several times but have not made the trip south. To ASU fans UA is the ISU of Arizona. If you make the trip south don't stop on the side of the road for a rest stop. If you make a trip into the bush. You may be surprised by an illegal or a drug runner with a AK47. Law Officers and farmers are being shot. The state leg. has pass a law this year that allows people in Arizona to can carry a concealed weapon with out a permit.

I moved to AZ from Iowa 15 years ago, and NOT ONCE have I ever encountered an illegal or drug runner on the side of the road. Give me a break. Law officers get shot EVERYWHERE, not just in Arizona. Stop being ridiculous.

As for the heat, the forecast shows 103 for the high temp, but it won't be like that at gametime. Besides, anyone visiting from Iowa just dealt with temps in the 90s and humidity almost that high, so the desert isn't going to feel that hot to you.

GO HAWKS!

Latest posts