Are you a Hawkeye?

smhawk

Someone who follows a team when they compete in the top of the league is a fan of basketball, not a fan of the team.

A fan of a team supports their colors win or lose. Part of Iowa's tradition is our strong fan base. I expect this kind of attendance from a lesser school, but we are IOWA. Yes our coach doesn't have the trust of our fan base and we've been through an embarrassing drought, but our fans can't just quit on the hawks.

I think it'd be nice to see Lickliter do a presser and accept responsibility for our let downs and the teams lack of fight, but state that this team can't turn things around without the fans. Our performance is depressing, but seeing 2,500 fans show up vs. Minnesota nearly is equally disappointing.

Our fan support can have direct effect on recruits and future coaching interest. If you really hate Lick, then go to the game and show prospecting coaches you'll support them regardless of outcome. Our football program has been through worst.

I'm not sure why you posted this today, but it is about 10 weeks late since most people gave up on this basketball team after the season opening loss to UTSA.

Someone who follows a team when they compete in the top of the league is a fan of basketball, not a fan of the team.

A fan of a team supports their colors win or lose. Part of Iowa's tradition is our strong fan base. I expect this kind of attendance from a lesser school, but we are IOWA. Yes our coach doesn't have the trust of our fan base and we've been through an embarrassing drought, but our fans can't just quit on the hawks.

I think it'd be nice to see Lickliter do a presser and accept responsibility for our let downs and the teams lack of fight, but state that this team can't turn things around without the fans. Our performance is depressing, but seeing 2,500 fans show up vs. Minnesota nearly is equally disappointing.

Our fan support can have direct effect on recruits and future coaching interest. If you really hate Lick, then go to the game and show prospecting coaches you'll support them regardless of outcome. Our football program has been through worst.

I really don't think we have been through worse with football. Through all the bad years I still had hope. Lickliter has taken that hope away from so many fans. Even the first year of KF I felt he would do it. During Lickliter's first year I didn't feel like he would take the team anywhere but down.

Fan is from fanatic. A person can be a fanatic about their team without agreeing with everything going on. I am a fan of IOWA and believe passionately what I do about the team. The players are doing what is asked of them. They are trying to compete. It is the coaches who are letting them and the university down.

I really don't think we have been through worse with football. Through all the bad years I still had hope. Lickliter has taken that hope away from so many fans. Even the first year of KF I felt he would do it. During Lickliter's first year I didn't feel like he would take the team anywhere but down.

Fan is from fanatic. A person can be a fanatic about their team without agreeing with everything going on. I am a fan of IOWA and believe passionately what I do about the team. The players are doing what is asked of them. They are trying to compete. It is the coaches who are letting them and the university down.

But you CAN'T blame everything on the coaches. Yes, a couple players may have left because of coaches, but what has happened in the last 3 yrs is not soley on Lick, even though he will ultimately be judged in that way. It doesn't make any sense for fans, who should know a thing or two about how the game works, to say that its ALL coaching....it's not and it makes them sound ignorant. I mean if you can't wait this thing out another year or two, what's the point of following a team at all?

#1, The bad years of iowa football were before KF stepped foot on campus. Can you imagine a season where you don't score a point?

#2. If you never had your doubts about Iowa football under KF, you are better than most. Even Ed P. left the broadcast booth during the ISU football game in year #2 out of disgust for the offense. That was towards the end of the game, and that was quite something to hear.

Mostly posting this now just because I'm concerned this years players are losing faith in what they're doing. And if anything, they can remember to play hard for our fans. We also got MSU this Saturday, and I hoping we can have decent support vs. other top teir opponents. Even if it is our biggest chance to get crushed.

Me myself though, I still have some support left for Lickliter. I'd like to see what he can do with recruits he has been aiming to get since beginning. Not that I'm not big on Eric May or Gatens.

No I gave up being a Hawkeye fan on January 4th. That was stupid.

You mean the 5th? Hey if our team is gonna have their worst performance, they might as well do it the day we win the Orange Bowl.

No, he hasn't. At least not from this one. If any one man "destroyed" Iowa basketball, it was Alford. Lickliter was hired into a bad situation, and was left to pick up the pieces.

Seriously though. This condescending, "I'm a better fan than you" bull crap is annoying. I'm sure everyone is on this message board because they hate Iowa.

Seriously though. This condescending, "I'm a better fan than you" bull crap is annoying. I'm sure everyone is on this message board because they hate Iowa.

That's not even close to my point. I just wish ours fans would look at our ways of overcoming this programs struggles realistically. Our team is gonna have a tough time with the rest of this season and could use all the support it can get. Regardless of who you think should be the coach.

Last edited:
That's not even close to my point. I just wish ours fans would look at our ways of overcoming this programs struggles realistically. Our team is gonna have a tough time with the rest of this season and could use all the support it can get. Regardless of who you think should be the coach.

I still try to watch the games on TV (its painful) but I'm done helping pay that guy to ruin what had been a competative basketball team for the 25 years I've been watching.

I think many have accepted the fact we will struggle considering most do not think we will win even 3 big ten games.

Now, how one goes about displaying that frustration is maybe more to your point. lol

But you CAN'T blame everything on the coaches. Yes, a couple players may have left because of coaches, but what has happened in the last 3 yrs is not soley on Lick, even though he will ultimately be judged in that way. It doesn't make any sense for fans, who should know a thing or two about how the game works, to say that its ALL coaching....it's not and it makes them sound ignorant. I mean if you can't wait this thing out another year or two, what's the point of following a team at all?

I don't think you will see where I said that everything was blamed on the coaches. I didn't assess blame. I said that the coaches were letting the team down. They are letting the team down and the program down by not bringing in D1 athletes; by not being able to hold on to players; by not preparing them for games (inbounds plays on defense, inbounds plays on offense, breaking the press, ...) I didn't assess blame to the players. They might not be doing everything right but they are playing hard and it is not their fault that they are outmanned in nearly every game they play.

Latest posts