Are we preseason top 5 in 2016?

proudhawkfan21

I say yes. Especially if King returns. A ton of talent and chemistry back. Big things in 2016 including respect.

I doubt it. You'll see the perennial powers up there like always....alabama, ohio state, etc.

I think Iowa will be ranked top 15 though. It would be awesome if King and Ott both came back next year, but I don't see that happening. I don't think there's anything for King to gain by coming back for his senior season.

The same rankings we all bashed this year because coaches and sports writers who have a vote are basically idiots? Those rankings?

And now we're embracing them?

CFP rankings are the only ones that count.

If we beat Stanford, then we will be between #5-#10. If we lose to Stanford, then just outside the top #10

The same rankings we all bashed this year because coaches and sports writers who have a vote are basically idiots? Those rankings?

Man you are just a bitter cuss today. You should probably change your avatar, as you aren't acting like the Kool Aid dude.

I know OSU re-loads, but they lose a lot of talent, Bosa will most likely split as well. Michigan's big question is who will be their QB? Seriously, this could kill them. MSU loses a ton on the O & D lines and Cook is history. I really think we will win the Big next year if things go right and we stay hungry.

Man you are just a bitter cuss today. You should probably change your avatar, as you aren't acting like the Kool Aid dude.

No no no sir!

The kool-aid guy is perfect. It disingenuates and eschews the notion to all who sip the poison ale while ignoring facts.

Jim Jones would be proud.

No no no sir!

The kool-aid guy is perfect. It disingenuates and eschews the notion to all who sip the poison ale while ignoring facts.

Jim Jones would be proud.

Nobody is ignoring facts, but you. We missed out on the playoffs because we lost last night. What bowl game we go to at this point is separate from the playoffs, as we freaking missed that ship as it sailed last night.

I say yes. Especially if King returns. A ton of talent and chemistry back. Big things in 2016 including respect.
Perhaps a better question, do we really want to be? When has that ever worked out well? Even being unranked for the first few games worked out just fine this year. Just win games. High preseason rankings have never done us any favors.

Perhaps a better question, do we really want to be? When has that ever worked out well? Even being unranked for the first few games worked out just fine this year. Just win games. High preseason rankings have never done us any favors.

Yes, we want to be ranked highly. Going undefeated is quite hard. But there's a pretty good chance a 1-loss Big Ten championship winner gets into the playoff. The higher we are ranked in the preseason, the easier it is to survive a loss and still play for a shot at the national championship in the Big Ten title game.

It matters for the overall health of the program. Results on the field are the ultimate barometer as this year proved, but it is far better for the program to be rated highly pre-season. It means you are talked about, given the benefit of the doubt, the program is promoted, all that stuff. If (and big if) Iowa beats Stanford in the Rose, it's likely that some pundits will talk about Iowa as a darkhorse candidate for the CFP next year. It doesn't guarantee success whatsoever, but it's better to be talked about than not.

Whether we want it or not, Iowa will be pretty highly rated in the 2016 preseason polls, so they'll have to be ready for that. But iowa doesn't have the name to be given top 5 - I say 10-15 or so. Pretty similar to 2010 IMO.

I'd call the schedule in our favor as well with the more challenging games (NE, NW, MI, WI) all at Kinnick. I could easily see 7-0 before WI comes to IC. This will not escape the preseason gurus. A good year to have season tixs.

Whether we want it or not, Iowa will be pretty highly rated in the 2016 preseason polls, so they'll have to be ready for that. But iowa doesn't have the name to be given top 5 - I say 10-15 or so. Pretty similar to 2010 IMO.
2010 is actually what I go back to in my mind. To be fair, that team had talent but nowhere near the chemistry and drive these guys do. They may handle a higher ranking just fine. IMO, Iowa is just now recovering from that 2010 season. What a squandered opportunity.

Top 5. Hell, we'll be lucky to be in the top 15 with the clowns who determine such things. We've now been dispatched back where we belong in the 'powers that be'" eyes. Now they can get back to their 'brand names', the Ohio States, Michigans, Florida States, USCs and half the damned SEC for their top 10 pre-season next year.

Iowa loses Blythe, Canzeri, T. Smith, HKC, Duzey, Ott, Lomax, Fisher, Meyer, Koehn, Kidd, etc.

and probably King

But returns CJB, Daniels, Wadley, Kittle, Vandeberg, mabin, Hesse, Jewell, etc

special teams could be a concern, but you would expect offense and defense to be at least as good.

Yeah, probably around #15 sounds right.

Latest posts