Are we ever going to play a meaningful non-con game?

OmaHawk13

Banned
Really getting tired of the 1 FCS, 1 MAC, Iowa St non-conference schedule EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, MSU, Wisconsin all schedule meaningful, alluring non-con opponents for home-and-home series every year that get nationally televised, bring in huge crowds and is great for recruiting. Don't understand why our Athletic Dept is so against doing that. If we wanna get the "easy schedule" monkey off our backs, it's time we actually start scheduling a somewhat respectable non-conference opponent.

Now, I'm not saying we go ahead and schedule Bama. But it would be cool to schedule a respected P5 team and have them visit Kinnick.

Please share your opinion with Barta and Ferentz. I'm sure they will listen.

LALALALALALALALA CANT HEAR IT, CANT HEAR IT, CANT HEAR IT.

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.gif

If we had done that, we surely wouldn't have been playing MSU for a Final 4 playoff birth.

So you would rather take the easy way out and continue to get trashed by national media and fans for scheduling poorly?

That may have ALMOST worked this season but SOS is becoming much more important to the committee.

I have read here several times that it can't be done unless ISU is dropped from the schedule.

OmaHawk - Seriously....this is a VERY strange time to be bringing this topic up. We need to be more worried about recruiting and in-game adjustments.

Really getting tired of the 1 FCS, 1 MAC, Iowa St non-conference schedule EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Lol! Every year? Go back and check their schedules the last few years and get back to me.

OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, MSU, Wisconsin all schedule meaningful, alluring non-con opponents for home-and-home series every year that get nationally televised, bring in huge crowds and is great for recruiting. Don't understand why our Athletic Dept is so against doing that. If we wanna get the "easy schedule" monkey off our backs, it's time we actually start scheduling a somewhat respectable non-conference opponent.

Now, I'm not saying we go ahead and schedule Bama. But it would be cool to schedule a respected P5 team and have them visit Kinnick.

OmaHawk - Seriously....this is a VERY strange time to be bringing this topic up. We need to be more worried about recruiting and in-game adjustments.

Not really weird timing if you think about it. It was just a random thought after being scrutinized by national media the entire season for playing a cupcake schedule, and in the end they were all right. That's why I brought it up. Why do we NEVER play a respectable non conference opponent when our B1G counterparts do EVERY year. It seems to benefit them. No one outside of Iowa gives two sh!ts about the Cy-Hawk

Recruiting is essentially over barring any decommitments. Our staff apparently decided to take the initiative to put together essentially our entire class before the season even started. Pretty sure we only have room for 2 or 3 more commitments at most. Probably going to be more MAC-level 2/3 stars. Unless we somehow pull Farniok from SD but everyone says he is a NEB lean.

I have read here several times that it can't be done unless ISU is dropped from the schedule.

It definitely CAN be done. There is no restriction of scheduling 2 P5 opponents lol. I don't count ISU as a P5 opponent because they are equivalent of FCS. I don't know why our Athletic Dept doesn't just show some initiative and put Iowa on the map for a decent Non-Con game.

It definitely CAN be done. There is no restriction of scheduling 2 P5 opponents lol. I don't count ISU as a P5 opponent because they are equivalent of FCS. I don't know why our Athletic Dept doesn't just show some initiative and put Iowa on the map for a decent Non-Con game.

The last time we had a decent program and we scheduled a truly top program non-con was when we played The U back in the '90's. I have no desire to relive that except on the biggest stage like in big bowl games like the one we played tonight or the 2003 Orange Bowl. I have seen the movie before. Of course, we played Nebraska back about 15 years ago or so when Kurt just started and we got totally killed, too. Hayden wasn't afraid of the big boys, but he often would take big chances and regularly got big special teams plays. He lost his fair share, too.

North Dakota state next year. Expect a loss.

Like Illinois State this year? Cmon, admit it, you thought we'd lose that one, and Pitt, and Wisc, and Nebby, and a couple others.

To be fair, I thought 9 wins was the absolute ceiling this year, and 7-8 was more likely. I was very wrong. I bet you we wrong-er.

Prior to this year, we surely weren't going to win more than 7 games. We're we?.

Agreed. For THIS year. That said, I'd like to see Iowa try to buy out NDSU or Miami (OH) and schedule a real team next year. Basketball teams do it all the time. Get it done.

Based on the average ranking of Iowa's recruiting, I'd say that the non-con schedule is about right.

Latest posts