Are the technical fouls necessary?

What a stupid post. Its the freakin Sun Belt!!! Not one of those players would be playing as a starter in the B-10. Fran has 7 T's this year. I wish he had one a game. He is showing his players that he knows how bad the officiating is and they continue to play hard. Fewer T's and we get better players? Have you ever watched the old tapes of Bob Knight, Jimmy V, Coach K, any great coach? Fran is the leader of this team and he has fire. What did Lick get, maybe a couple in three years? Are we playing for Oprah? I respect some of your comments but his one is purely way the hell off base.

You do know that Iowa got beat out by Western Kentucky for a player the Hawks really wanted this year,George Fant, right? You do know that there was a major conference bidding war for a Sun Belt freshman, Brandon Reed, last year, right?

Seriously, the no player in the Sun Belt would start on a Big Ten team line is really just seriously misinformed. That being said, my point meant to indicate that you might want to replace maybe one guy on a Big Ten team with one of these players, not half the roster.

Worse than that, to take my comments to mean Iowa isn't getting players because Fran is getting T's is just nonsensical. My point was that Fran's T's might go down when he gets more players that belong on the court. Lick just freaking destroyed this team with his horrible recruiting. How could you not get frustrated with this roster.

Last edited:
If Fran wants to be less frustrated and get fewer T's he will bring in a bunch of better players. Right now I think he feels he needs every tiny edge he can get. I watched a Sun Belt game yesterday and I was shocked to realize that I would trade half of Iowa's roster for guys on either team. That just should not be the case.

Got a feeling it'd bethe same... The reffing isn't going to change neither is the fact that young teams make mistakes.

Go to a D1 basketball game...EVERY COACH is constantly ragging on the officials. Iowa gets the shaft from some of these border line officials. They get it in their head who is going to win and that is how they call the game. Fran has seen enough of this crap and it is always directed at one guy. Even last night he was in Eddie's ear after the T and even Eddie was shaking his head yes. I for one love the fire...

Yes, the technicals are necessary, I mean come on, in every sport the refs, officials, umpires, etc think they are above the game, they can say and do whatever they want and no one holds them responsible for their actions, it is the biggest sham in sports. I for one and glad that Fran calls these clowns out, more coaches need to do the same thing.

I said in the "in-game chat" it was a bad move and got ripped for it. Getting mad at the refs isn't going to change the call. "Showing them up", will most likely do the opposite - get a call against your team, especially on the road.

Fran has been successful as a head coach for a very long time. I am quite certain he knows what he is doing...lets just forget the fact at the success he has had at numerous programs. Yeah, he has no clue how to handle and work officials at this point. OK! LOL!

I realize you like to troll here and basically only post to complain....so i get my response is essentially wasting my time. You will always have something to complain about.

I was actually watching when Fran got the T today.

Anyone that thinks that was strategic is giving Fran way too much credit.

That T today was out of pure frustration and being a ***** to the refs.

Nothing more or nothing less.

He is not setting up the ref's to get calls in the future or puff his chest out as the new guy.

He flat out got frustrated, lost his cool, and said something he probably shouldn't have.

I don't care one way or the other but let's not give coaches so much credit.

Where is the "like" button? Exactly! This is what happened. Do some of you sit around and look for things to complain about?

What a stupid post. Its the freakin Sun Belt!!! Not one of those players would be playing as a starter in the B-10. Fran has 7 T's this year. I wish he had one a game. He is showing his players that he knows how bad the officiating is and they continue to play hard. Fewer T's and we get better players? Have you ever watched the old tapes of Bob Knight, Jimmy V, Coach K, any great coach? Fran is the leader of this team and he has fire. What did Lick get, maybe a couple in three years? Are we playing for Oprah? I respect some of your comments but his one is purely way the hell off base.

Well, I don't know about the Sun Belt but if Fran didn't come here Sienna would have had a pretty good player. :D

I believe Fran when he says that he has gotten only one tech in his career that he did not want. He knows the flow of the game,and how the refs are working over Iowa and he was waiting for the next bad call(does anyone know exactly what the fricking call was on that play? The broadcasters did not explain,nor show a replay,I am still scratching my head on that call), Fran was going to go off...he knew it,he planned it,and it is just another trick in his bag to try to change the tempo and momentum in the game. The guy knows game-coaching,and I am pleased with his feel and instincts on the bench.

I believe Fran when he says that he has gotten only one tech in his career that he did not want. He knows the flow of the game,and how the refs are working over Iowa and he was waiting for the next bad call(does anyone know exactly what the fricking call was on that play? The broadcasters did not explain,nor show a replay,I am still scratching my head on that call), Fran was going to go off...he knew it,he planned it,and it is just another trick in his bag to try to change the tempo and momentum in the game. The guy knows game-coaching,and I am pleased with his feel and instincts on the bench.

That's because Larivee is an awful basketball announcer. Hell, until I read this thread I wasn't even aware Fran got t'd up last night.

There was a sequence in the 2nd half where an Illini player got called for an offensive foul, which resulted in a media timeout. There was no mention of it when it happened, and it wasn't until after they came back from the break that Larivee bothered to say what had happened.

You do know that Iowa got beat out by Western Kentucky for a player the Hawks really wanted this year,George Fant, right? You do know that there was a major conference bidding war for a Sun Belt freshman, Brandon Reed, last year, right?

Seriously, the no player in the Sun Belt would start on a Big Ten team line is really just seriously misinformed. That being said, my point meant to indicate that you might want to replace maybe one guy on a Big Ten team with one of these players, not half the roster.

Worse than that, to take my comments to mean Iowa isn't getting players because Fran is getting T's is just nonsensical. My point was that Fran's T's might go down when he gets more players that belong on the court. Lick just freaking destroyed this team with his horrible recruiting. How could you not get frustrated with this roster.
I couldn't agree more. I do see your point with the players on the court that belong in Frans system. I watched a lot of JU when I lived in Jacksonville and yes there are players that could make a run. I think that could be said of even D-2 and D-3 players. I just wanted to make the point that he is going to bat for his players and its better for him to get the T than the player.

I'm all for giving the refs and ear full from time to time and even getting T'd up, but it loses its effect if you do it every other game. Fran is essentially spotting the other team two points every time he does it now. It's not bringing any energy to the kids or influencing the refs if you do it all the time.

Fran is calling out the refs for crap calls. They deserve it. But Hey let's face it, the refs in Big Ten games are going to give the call to the lesser team. The refs are always going to side for the top teams. You don't want the league cellar dwellers knocking off the top teams(not that Illinois is that great). If the teams were more evenly matched, then it would be more balanced. Next year that will change.

I am actually quite eager to see next years team already! This team has a chance to grow and improve significantly. Give Basabe, McCabe, Marble & May another year to mature and add muscle, hone their skills and play together as a unit, and this team will be able to knock off most of the teams in the league, on any given night. They are close to that now. Not that we will win them all, but we will be a threat. I am sure of it. I am sure of Coach Mac's and his staff and their abilities.

When we add a couple more good recruits this spring, that will make me even more eager!

Go Fran!

Go Hawks!

I think it lost it's effectiveness about 28 technicals ago. It's just giving away points at this stage. An embarrassment.

I was actually watching when Fran got the T today.

Anyone that thinks that was strategic is giving Fran way too much credit.

That T today was out of pure frustration and being a ***** to the refs.

Nothing more or nothing less.

He is not setting up the ref's to get calls in the future or puff his chest out as the new guy.

He flat out got frustrated, lost his cool, and said something he probably shouldn't have.

I don't care one way or the other but let's not give coaches so much credit.

I love his facial expressions... I'd be so embarrassed if I was related to him. He's a panzy.

Geez - I am just glad we have a coach with some emotions, that doesn't look lost, and wants to win some games. Big 10 BB refs are bad and have been for a time. Anyone that has played sports knows you would much prefer a coach that has your back. The locker room video after the Indiana game shows what the players think about Fran - looks like they are all in to turn this ship around!

Get off his back and yell along with him to make Carver an imposing place to play. Too many prim and proper fans - GET ROWDY!!!

Where is the "like" button? Exactly! This is what happened. Do some of you sit around and look for things to complain about?

Where is the "dislike" button? No one on here "knows" anything. Not even myself, I don't know why Fran got the T, whether he was getting it on purpose or not. If someone makes a post on here about the coaching, I think they should have to give their career coaching record and at what level they coached. If someone on here is a coach with a great record or proof of success as a coach then I'll respect their opinion.

BTW, its been said and people still don't use facts, but it was only his 7th technical of the year, thats only 1 every 4 games, not every other, or even every game (someone said 28th).

Keep doing what you do Coach McCaffery, we're behind you all the way, GO HAWKEYES!

The fans need to reflect the attitude of this coach, tell me this, what negative thing has Fran done since he got to Iowa? Bring a renewed enthusiasm, yeah that sucks...Believe in his players, awful...Enstill fight into a lifeless program, get rid of him. If the crowds at Carver were half as animated as Fran, no matter the attendance, it would always be loud and become a true home court advantage...If Fran got a T every game, I would not care...he has brought so much more to Iowa in year one than any coach in a long time. The recruits will come, there is more talent than given credit for, otherwise blowouts would be happening against any team with a winning record, or this staff are better coaches than are given credit for. Iowa has beaten a traditional top team in conference and taken others to the wire. The negativity for a person fighting for his team every minute of a game is insane and that is embarrassing.

Just to play devils advocate Hoiberg couldn't be calmer on the sidelines and I see plenty of fire and hustle out of the cyclones.

You could say the same about UNI with Jacobsen, who is relatively mild mannered.
Ok, Don't put Fred in the same "coaching" discussion as Fran or jacobsen. They've done something and proven themselves. If my math is correct, Fred has coached 29 games, and has been less than impressive so far, at 15-14. Now don't get me wrong, I think Fred will have some success down the road because of his status in Ames and his ability to recruit, but has a ways to go to be compared to Fran and jacobsen in pure coaching. Fran has passion, period. Coaches sometimes have a fire they can't always control. When Iowa is contending for b10 titles and going to the ncaa tourney every year I'm sure the occasional T's will go unnoticed.

Ok, Don't put Fred in the same "coaching" discussion as Fran or jacobsen. They've done something and proven themselves. If my math is correct, Fred has coached 29 games, and has been less than impressive so far, at 15-14. Now don't get me wrong, I think Fred will have some success down the road because of his status in Ames and his ability to recruit, but has a ways to go to be compared to Fran and jacobsen in pure coaching. Fran has passion, period. Coaches sometimes have a fire they can't always control. When Iowa is contending for b10 titles and going to the ncaa tourney every year I'm sure the occasional T's will go unnoticed.

I'll give you UNI because they were doing pretty good before O'Rear went down.

However, where has that experience gotten him this year? ISU has a better record than Iowa when both of the cupboards are very bare.

Coaching experience and success at mid majors is not a guarantee of success. See McDermott, Lickliter, Alford. Not saying he won't be a good coach but if anyone who ever did well at a mid major became a successful big time coach then ISU and Iowa would both have had successful coaches for a long time right now.

Latest posts