Are my ears playing tricks on me or.......

It has a negative feel to it, yes...it makes it sound like Kirk doesn't really do anything...when saying he "oversees the entire staff, delegating authority to his coordinators and position coaches" would be more accurate...and not negative at all.

When I hear "figurehead", I think of the current version of JoePa. I think Kirk is SLIGHTLY more involved than that. As another poster pointed out, ask the O-linemen if Kirk is a figurehead!!

It has a negative feel to it, yes...it makes it sound like Kirk doesn't really do anything...when saying he "oversees the entire staff, delegating authority to his coordinators and position coaches" would be more accurate...and not negative at all.

I don't get that. To me, the figurehead might not do everything but he does know everything that is going on. I think of the President when I think of figurehead. The HC is the executive branch, The coordinators are the Legislative branch.

I don't get that. To me, the figurehead might not do everything but he does know everything that is going on. I think of the President when I think of figurehead. The HC is the executive branch, The coordinators are the Legislative branch.

I think you're confusing "figurehead" with "head honcho", Cliche...to stay with your presidents analogy...using 2 Republicans as examples...Reagan was the head honcho, seemed to be calling the shots (in his first term anyway)...Bush II was looked at as a figurehead, with most people claiming that Cheney and others were the ones calling the shots while Bush was just the guy who they'd stick out in front of the camera.

There is an easy way to avoid all of this, folks. Just do what I do - don't listen to sports talk, and don't watch the tv sportscasts. as everyone outside of Matt Perrault has been verbally fellating Hoiberg/Pollard/ISU since this went down.

I can understand how someone like John Walters might not have an unbiased view of things, but for the rest of the media to just fall head over heels in love with this is enough to make you want to stick a rusty fork in your eye.

I guess then that I would rather have a figurehead than a coach that has to make every decision and then gets burnt out quickly and/or has health problems as a result.

I guess then that I would rather have a figurehead than a coach that has to make every decision and then gets burnt out quickly and/or has health problems as a result.

Nick Saban has made it a long time being a micro-manager. And if there's one coach in the country I'd give even a second's consideration over Ferentz, it'd be Saban.

Nick Saban has made it a long time being a micro-manager. And if there's one coach in the country I'd give even a second's consideration over Ferentz, it'd be Saban.

Urban was who I was thinking of, but I would not take Saban because character does count for something.

Someone who makes the big decisions could not possibly be described as a "figurehead" unless that person did not understand what "figurehead" means. A"CEO" is not a figurehead. Not normally, at least.

Urban was who I was thinking of, but I would not take Saban because character does count for something.

You mean you don't like the guy who threw his DB under the bus after "Tate to Holloway" on his way out the door to the NFL...then lied his a$$ off to everyone about being the next coach at 'Bama and STILL manages to Jedi-mindtrick everyone into thinking he's the upstanding great coach they should go play for?

What up with that, boat???

:p

You mean you don't like the guy who threw his DB under the bus after "Tate to Holloway" on his way out the door to the NFL...then lied his a$$ off to everyone about being the next coach at 'Bama and STILL manages to Jedi-mindtrick everyone into thinking he's the upstanding great coach they should go play for?

What up with that, boat???

:p

Weird isn't it?? I guess I am just picky.

Latest posts