Are my ears playing tricks on me or.......

HawksOverHoes

did I actually hear Deace say that Ferentz was somewhat of a "figurehead" at Iowa? All I can say is......WOW! It's funny how Deace takes his little cheap shots when he can. Guess I shouldn't be surprised...he's the same guy that gave every reason why Paul Rhodes should be Big 12 coach of the year for ONE quality win but felt that Pat Fitzgerald or Tressel deserved it over Ferentz.

Jon...you need to put up more of a fight when it comes to Deace's idiotic opinions or views regarding the Hawks. It's okay to not always be the nice guy.

did I actually hear Deace say that Ferentz was somewhat of a "figurehead" at Iowa? All I can say is......WOW! It's funny how Deace takes his little cheap shots when he can. Guess I shouldn't be surprised...he's the same guy that gave every reason why Paul Rhodes should be Big 12 coach of the year for ONE quality win but felt that Pat Fitzgerald or Tressel deserved it over Ferentz.

Jon...you need to put up more of a fight when it comes to Deace's idiotic opinions or views regarding the Hawks. It's okay to not always be the nice guy.

Deace said KF was to be fired a couple years back due to his involvement in the 'sexual misconduct' case that would come out in the trial when he had to testify.

He is continually taking low-blow shots to Iowa, and making claims making ISU better than they are. ISU has more overall team speed than Iowa, for example. That is why they are sending all those player to the NFL, makes sense now Deace. Or, ISU has the physicality of a mid-tier SEC team ala South Carolina/Arkansas. Uh huh.

Deace gets pretty fired up when someone picks on his view, and he has no problem going scorched earth in that scenario like when someone was picking on his boy Follard yesterday.

Deace said KF was to be fired a couple years back due to his involvement in the 'sexual misconduct' case that would come out in the trial when he had to testify.

He is continually taking low-blow shots to Iowa, and making claims making ISU better than they are. ISU has more overall team speed than Iowa, for example. That is why they are sending all those player to the NFL, makes sense now Deace. Or, ISU has the physicality of a mid-tier SEC team ala South Carolina/Arkansas. Uh huh.

Deace gets pretty fired up when someone picks on his view, and he has no problem going scorched earth in that scenario like when someone was picking on his boy Follard yesterday.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't expect Deace to kiss Iowa's *** but some of his comments are just flat out ridiculous. I listen to him bash Barta every chance he gets and I have to admit he's been critical of Pollards decisions in the past but I still catch him sugar coating Pollard's antics at times. I just wish Jon would slap him around every now and then instead of trying to be his best buddy.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't expect Deace to kiss Iowa's *** but some of his comments are just flat out ridiculous. I listen to him bash Barta every chance he gets and I have to admit he's been critical of Pollards decisions in the past but I still catch him sugar coating Pollard's antics at times. I just wish Jon would slap him around every now and then instead of trying to be his best buddy.

The problem with Deace is the same it's been since he got into the business......he lets personal feelings/relationships get in the way of objective analysis. The problem with that is that when he does have a good take on something, it's hard to believe him.

He's just trying to pull your chains so you will read his stupid comments and react. If there is an 'ignore' button for a poster, you can push it. I did that on HawkeyeInsider site. I don't know if we can do it on this site.

And yes, Jon is too weak on Deace, IMHO.

Deace knows college sports like I know embryonic stem cell research. (which is obviously little to nothing)

I believe prior to the 2008 season, he said ISU looked like a "lean SEC team", whatever that means.

Maybe they should try playing like one, instead of looking like one.

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I normally like what Deace has to offer, but saying that Ferentz is a figurehead would mean you could make that argument about 90% of the other d1 coaches in football. I think he is confusing the need to overhaul a system with being a figurehead. Just because he is not in there trying to shake things up does not mean that he doesn't run the joint.

That guy absolutely makes me sick, he throws in his crazy political views within the show at the same time he throws jabs and under cuts at the Hawks. He needs to shut the _______ up. God I hate that guy.

I remember last year, just before the start of the college football season, Deace ripped Jon up one side and down the other for suggesting that Michigan might end up with a worse conference record than the year before (when it ended up 2-6). I thought Deace was going to bust a blood vessel in his brain. He resorted to his typical pompous, self-righteous, know-it-all attitude. End result: 1-7.

The thing with Deace is that he has one of those photgraphic memories (I have a son that's the exact same way) and so he impresses people with his ability to recall names, stats, etc. In addition, he has a knack for being very confident with his commentary. Those two things together make people believe that he really knows what he's talking about. The fact is, he doesn't.

Is he entertaining? Absolutely. Does he know more than the average message board poster? Nope.

Deace knows college sports like I know embryonic stem cell research. (which is obviously little to nothing)

I believe prior to the 2008 season, he said ISU looked like a "lean SEC team", whatever that means.

Maybe they should try playing like one, instead of looking like one.

Hmm. I thought they 'looked' more like USC than any SEC team :)

Deace doesn't believe in evolution. And he's proud of it. Here's a clue: You should take the opinions of anyone who doesn't believe in evolution with a massive grain, nay, block, of salt.

As for Deace's comments...you could say that any head coach is a "figure head" if you want to, since none of them are HC and OC or HC and DC...and of course he's going to take his shots at Iowa...he's trying to sway people to think like does...to tip the balance of the populous to his way of thinking...it's kind of his job on the blow torch and he's never been an Iowa fan. He'll call Iowa fans arrogant when the Cyclone fan in him thinks that it's so, while not caring about how arrogant he is when it comes to...ok, USED TO come to Michigan sports.

Deace doesn't believe in evolution. And he's proud of it. Here's a clue: You should take the opinions of anyone who doesn't believe in evolution with a massive grain, nay, block, of salt.

In the interest of fairness, he's never said he doesn't believe in evolution (in fact, on several occasions I believe he said he does believe evolution exists), he's said he doesn't believe in Darwinism.....which is a big difference.

Umm...I never said any such thing and have no idea where you got that.

I did say that Ferentz, like a lot of great coaches (examples I gave were coaches like Bear Bryant and Mack Brown) become figureheads where they delegate to their assistants the majority of gameday decisions, they just make the few really big calls. They handle being the CEO of the team, while their assistants do most of the position and Xs and Os work.

Umm...I never said any such thing and have no idea where you got that.

I did say that Ferentz, like a lot of great coaches (examples I gave were coaches like Bear Bryant and Mack Brown) become figureheads where they delegate to their assistants the majority of gameday decisions, they just make the few really big calls. They handle being the CEO of the team, while their assistants do most of the position and Xs and Os work.

Steve...don't let facts get in his way...you're ruining the b!tchfest.

Is being the figurehead of something bad? I'm missing something I guess..."figurehead" does not play negatively in my brain.

It has a negative feel to it, yes...it makes it sound like Kirk doesn't really do anything...when saying he "oversees the entire staff, delegating authority to his coordinators and position coaches" would be more accurate...and not negative at all.

Latest posts