Archie

WestCoastHawk

Get it broooo! It would be cool to see this guy finish out his career on a stronger note ala Cyrus Tate. It's all about playing within yourself. If defense is your strong point go out there and block a bunch of shots, be tenacious at boxing out and getting boards. And make sure to get the ball in the hands of the ball scorers on your team.

Keep it up Archie!

Archie is a lot better than anyone thought he would be, no doubt about it.
And you have to give some props to Lick for bringing him in, though I doubt anyone on this site would do so.

And you have to give some props to Lick for bringing him in, though I doubt anyone on this site would do so.

Who was the guy we had a few years back that I believe transferred from Memphis? He had a couple big games early in his last season then disappeared for the most part from the rest.

Never mind, David Palmer. I answered my own question.

Please explain to me why I would give anyone credit for brining in a below average Big 10 player that really would not play on any of the top level Big 10 teams at all?

Why would you get credit for brining in a bad player and making him just a tad better than bad to date?

Now I will give Fran credit for feeling that despite recruiting Basabe to play on a MAAC team he felt he was good enough to be a Big 10 player and offered him a full ride to Iowa. Now that is what I give credit for.

I think everyone knew Archie was athletic, so you would think he can at least rebound and it was reported he was a decent shot blocker.

I just don't know what he has done that has really vastly exceeded expectations like you seem to be claiming.

I also want him to finish his career on the strong side. But I also hope it's after this season not next. An extra scolly would be worth more.

Who was the guy we had a few years back that I believe transferred from Memphis? He had a couple big games early in his last season then disappeared for the most part from the rest.

Never mind, David Palmer. I answered my own question.

He transferred from Seton Hall

What? Archie has shown improvement but he's still the 5th guy off the bench. I'm willing to bet that every player that Fran brings in is better than Archie by a significant amount. No props given.

Archie is part of the problem created by Lickliter and not part of the solution. You don't bring in a JC player as a project. A project is a freshman like Earl or Jespen. You bring in JC players to make an immediate impact like Cartwright. Cartwright is Iowa's best all round ball player.

Ralph Miller brought in Chris Percival, Sam Williams, John Johnson & Freddie Brown. Schultz brought in Ricky Williams, Candy LaPrince & the number one JC player in the country in James Speed. To be competitive, Lute immediately brought in three JC players.

Raveling brought in Kevin Gamble. Though, Gamble never saw the light of day under Raveling, he was the best player on the very talented '87 team. Over half of Iowa's regular seasons losses that year occurred when Gamble was out of the line-up.

Davis brought in Val Barnes.

You don't bring in JC players like Bawinkle, Davis & Archie. But when your coaching staff has absolutely no experience recruiting Division I players & the head coach believes that you can't get great talent; that is what Iowa was left with.

Archie is part of the problem created by Lickliter and not part of the solution. You don't bring in a JC player as a project. A project is a freshman like Earl or Jespen. You bring in JC players to make an immediate impact like Cartwright. Cartwright is Iowa's best all round ball player.

Ralph Miller brought in Chris Percival, Sam Williams, John Johnson & Freddie Brown. Schultz brought in Ricky Williams, Candy LaPrince & the number one JC player in the country in James Speed. To be competitive, Lute immediately brought in three JC players.

Raveling brought in Kevin Gamble. Though, Gamble never saw the light of day under Raveling, he was the best player on the very talented '87 team. Over half of Iowa's regular seasons losses that year occurred when Gamble was out of the line-up.

You don't bring in JC players like Bawinkle, Davis & Archie. But when your coaching staff has absolutely no experience recruiting Division I players & the head coach believes that you can't get great talent; that is what Iowa was left with.

Exactly, plus the player references are spot on but don't forget the golden boy did one thing right when he brought in Reggie Evans who was an immediate impact player. This is coming from a poster that would love to erase the name alford from my memory but I will give him props when it's due...yup that's the end of my props for him. JUCOs should not be projects, they should fill an immediate need with better talent than is currently sitting on your bench AND give the younger players the time to develop.

I agree with what you say for the most part but he is here and you might be surprised with what you get from him next year. We'll see.

I'll never bust on a kid and hope he leaves a year early...Archie's a Hawkeye and showing improvement...he's this team in a nutshell...overmatched, sometimes overwhelmed, but also working hard to improve and do whatever he can to help this team. Keep up the good work...and get a degree while you're here!

I'll never bust on a kid and hope he leaves a year early...Archie's a Hawkeye and showing improvement...he's this team in a nutshell...overmatched, sometimes overwhelmed, but also working hard to improve and do whatever he can to help this team. Keep up the good work...and get a degree while you're here!

I totally agree Shane! It isn't like if Archie weren't here that we would be a playing in the post season...

When Lick brought this kid in I said that the only way Iowa would get anything out of this kid would be to red-shirt him. Then I got hammered. Well, guess what? He got redshirted. Now we start seeing my reasoning. After three years in a Big Ten program he is starting to look like he can contribute as deep front line bench support.

Not exactly what you want out of a three year scholarship. But if he can come in and give a few minutes a game of hustle, it should work out in Fran's favor. However, I know Fran does not want to go into next season with Brommer and Archie as his 1 and 2 in the post.

When Lick brought this kid in I said that the only way Iowa would get anything out of this kid would be to red-shirt him. Then I got hammered. Well, guess what? He got redshirted. Now we start seeing my reasoning. After three years in a Big Ten program he is starting to look like he can contribute as deep front line bench support.

Not exactly what you want out of a three year scholarship. But if he can come in and give a few minutes a game of hustle, it should work out in Fran's favor. However, I know Fran does not want to go into next season with Brommer and Archie as his 1 and 2 in the post.

I don't really get your point. The only reason he red-shirted last year was because he was hurt. I believe it was a shoulder injury to start the season and he wasn't going to be able to play until sometime in the Big 10 slate. While I don't disagree that he should have redshirted last year anyway, Lick would have played the guy last year for sure if he was not hurt.
And I don't understand the highlighted comment either, this is only his second year at Iowa, so he hasn't even completed his second season and did not participate in games or practices for at least half of the season last year.

What? Archie has shown improvement but he's still the 5th guy off the bench. I'm willing to bet that every player that Fran brings in is better than Archie by a significant amount. No props given.

Probably so. I'm not saying we should feel bad that Lick was let go. Just seems like everyone piled on him for everything that's gone wrong here the last 3 years so, when there is a positive associated with his time here, it's fair to point it out.

Not that Archie's going to be all Big 10 but he looks like a decent guy off of the bench anyway.

Um, I think you may be underestimating his contributions for next year just a tad. Deep bench support and a few minutes of hustle a game? He has been getting more and more pt but he has had to share time with Brommer who has been playing really well. When Cole is gone we are going to need him more than you think and we'll see if he can get it done. If he brings in another JC kid that is better or a true freshman great, but other then that who else is there?

Um, I think you may be underestimating his contributions for next year just a tad. Deep bench support and a few minutes of hustle a game? He has been getting more and more pt but he has had to share time with Brommer who has been playing really well. When Cole is gone we are going to need him more than you think and we'll see if he can get it done. If he brings in another JC kid that is better or a true freshman great, but other then that who else is there?

Agreed, I think that it may be a necessity. At this point, it's hard to believe that we will bring in more height. We are in sore need of more big men. Fingers crossed that Archie can play a significant role next year.

He needs to work on his free throws.

Yes, he and Brommer both. He is shooting 31% and Brommer 38%. That is just pathetic. Marble is shooting 50% and May is at 61% so there is plenty of improvement that needs to be done in that area.

Latest posts