Appreciate these days

westender

I realize no conference title in football or sweet 16 or final 8 in basketball for men and a while for a natty in wrestling but pretty much all sports (women's basketball, baseball, etc) across the board are headed in the right direction. Maybe since mid 80s since like this? These days are rare kids. We need to savor it. It has to drive our friends to the west (in two different cities) just kind of nuts. Kirk, Fran, Gary were their favorite punch lines. Now what they got???? Just childish bullshit responses.

Doing some checking:

1985, 2004, and 2015 ('85-86, '04-'05, and '15-'16) are the only seasons where the FB team won 10 and the mens BB team won 20.

The WBB team won 20 in '85-86 and '04-05.

The wrestling team won the national championship in '86.

Can Iowa pull off those 4 this year for the 2nd time in school history?

Add 30 baseball wins, and those 5 milestones have never been done by Iowa in a single school year.

Maybe since mid 80s since like this?

2003, 2004, 2005 were pretty good days. We had the good run in football and the great recruiting class. The football team hiccuped in 2005, but hope was still high. The basketball team, led by Coach Alford, was on the right track and got a 3 seed in '05-'06 before Northwestern State cheated and beat us on a fluke shot at the end. Things were pretty bright back then.

I realize no conference title in football or sweet 16 or final 8 in basketball for men and a while for a natty in wrestling but pretty much all sports (women's basketball, baseball, etc) across the board are headed in the right direction. Maybe since mid 80s since like this? These days are rare kids. We need to savor it. It has to drive our friends to the west (in two different cities) just kind of nuts. Kirk, Fran, Gary were their favorite punch lines. Now what they got???? Just childish bullshit responses.
so true. Was just saying the same thing to a buddy of mine over the weekend. I also lumped a few of my other favorite pro teams (Lakers, Dodgers, 49ers) in that as well. Feels like the 80's again, if only for a moment. Never appreciated how good the 80's were at the time!

In any year in which we didn't have a good basketball team, we would have lost by over 40 at Purdue last night, but we lost by less than 40, which for Franbruary is a pretty good thing.

Purdue is tough at home. They pretty well crushed Mich State there also. One of those deals, like Iowa at Minnesota football in 2014. Still don't know what the hell happened there. One of those games where nothing went right.

so true. Was just saying the same thing to a buddy of mine over the weekend. I also lumped a few of my other favorite pro teams (Lakers, Dodgers, 49ers) in that as well. Feels like the 80's again, if only for a moment. Never appreciated how good the 80's were at the time!

I was young and naive then back in the 80s. The good times were going to go on forever. Fry & Gable in perpetuity.

Purdue is tough at home. They pretty well crushed Mich State there also. One of those deals, like Iowa at Minnesota football in 2014. Still don't know what the hell happened there. One of those games where nothing went right.
We can move on. 19 3 pointers??? Huskers Next. 50/50 ball's. Harder D AND Harder Rebounds. Can be Done. Fran can do much now. Players have Toughness.Team on SAME Page.Next. Again 19 3 Pointers! YOW.

In 1985 we got to #1 in the nation in football; won the B1G outright and went to the Rose Bowl
In 1986-87 we got to #1 in the nation in mens basketball; reached the Elite 8 as a #2 seed
In 1987-88 we got to #1 in the nation in womens basketball; reached the Elite 8 as a #1 seed
In the 1980s we won 7 nat'l championships in wrestling

There will never be another time in the history of Iowa athletics that will match what happened in the 1980s. Like someone else mentioned, I just assumed this would go on forever.

We can move on. 19 3 pointers??? Huskers Next. 50/50 ball's. Harder D AND Harder Rebounds. Can be Done. Fran can do much now. Players have Toughness.Team on SAME Page.Next. Again 19 3 Pointers! YOW.

Sometimes any shit you throw up goes in or won't go in. We have all had days where it seems like no matter what we do it doesn't go correctly.

Latest posts