Apparently, Pujols to Miami

Pujols, Reyes, Hanley...along with a decent staff...they should be able to challenge the Phils for the AL East and be odds on favorite for the wild card.

Pujols, Reyes, Hanley...along with a decent staff...they should be able to challenge the Phils for the AL East and be odds on favorite for the wild card.

A Mike Stanton, Albert Pujols, Hanley Ramirez middle of the order has the potential to be deadly.

But Gaby Sanchez would be now available? What will they do? :)

Just read something that said the Cubs would be interested in Gaby if Pujols goes to Miami. He is only 28, but I think he's around a career .270 hitter with moderate power. Seems like we have enough of those types of hitters now.

Paying him 22 million a year when he is 40 might actually be fine for the Marlins. They don't care every 5 years anyway, so they will just go in the dumps for 5 years and wait for his contract to expire - and then do it all over again. But wait - they still have no pitching. Good luck beating the Phillies with no pitching. Stupid.

Paying him 22 million a year when he is 40 might actually be fine for the Marlins. They don't care every 5 years anyway, so they will just go in the dumps for 5 years and wait for his contract to expire - and then do it all over again. But wait - they still have no pitching. Good luck beating the Phillies with no pitching. Stupid.

They don't have to beat the Phillies in the regular season. They would just have to be good enough to win the wild card, which there will be two of in the next year or so.

They don't have to beat the Phillies in the regular season. They would just have to be good enough to win the wild card, which there will be two of in the next year or so.
Not unil 2013 I believe. And also with that aren't the divisions going away and going back to the straight league system? Maybe I'm dreaming that up, but I thought that was part of the deal was well

Not unil 2013 I believe. And also with that aren't the divisions going away and going back to the straight league system? Maybe I'm dreaming that up, but I thought that was part of the deal was well

I think it was considered but they're not doing that (not 100% sure on this). I think part of the benefit of the new playoff system is that it rewards the division winner.

Does anyone else see them winning 5,6,7 maybe 8 titles?

Not until they do more to upgrade their rotation. Josh Johnson is dominant....when healthy. They need a guy with ace-type stuff and more reliable in the health department. Otherwise, they're doing exactly what the Cubs did with Prior/Wood. That's not a recipe for sustained success.

Not until they do more to upgrade their rotation. Josh Johnson is dominant....when healthy. They need a guy with ace-type stuff and more reliable in the health department. Otherwise, they're doing exactly what the Cubs did with Prior/Wood. That's not a recipe for sustained success.

The Cubs never went out and signed a pair of free agents who were one of if not the best players at their positions when they had Prior and Wood.

Also how many "aces" are there in the major leagues? True, bona fide aces. Pitchers I would consider aces:

Verlander
Sabathia
Felix Hernandez
Jared Weaver
Kershaw
Halladay
Lee
Lincecum

So that is eight...two of which are on the same team. That makes seven teams that have legit "aces". While you need good pitching to win a World Series you definitely do not need an ace type pitcher.

The Cubs never went out and signed a pair of free agents who were one of if not the best players at their positions when they had Prior and Wood.

Also how many "aces" are there in the major leagues? True, bona fide aces. Pitchers I would consider aces:

Verlander
Sabathia
Felix Hernandez
Jared Weaver
Kershaw
Halladay
Lee
Lincecum

So that is eight...two of which are on the same team. That makes seven teams that have legit "aces". While you need good pitching to win a World Series you definitely do not need an ace type pitcher.

And nearly all of those guys have either won, or been on a team that played for a World Series title in the last 5 years. Just about every team who wins the World Series has at least one guy like that, and many have two.

I'm not saying the Marlins wouldn't be good, or even very good. But 7 or 8 titles in the next 10 years? No, not without upgrading their rotation. Especially when a key piece of their puzzle is Jose Reyes, who I just don't trust in terms of being a cornerstone player. Not to mention the fact that Hanley Ramirez doesn't seem overly enthused by being moved to third.

(hint: he was referring to the other Miami team who said that)

pujols is probably actually like 35 which means he will be 45 at the end of the deal and I am convinced that he will still be awesome at that point. and im a cub fan.

Latest posts