Apology to Mr. Rudock

ChosenChildren

I must apologize for my earlier post on Mr. Rudock. It is wrong to criticize individual players.

I think he should stay at Iowa and finish his career there, whether he plays as a starter or backup. That is my bias, and thus, my frustration. I shouldn't criticize a player for doing what he feels is in his best interest. I'm just disappointed in his decision.

I must apologize for my earlier post on Mr. Rudock. It is wrong to criticize individual players.

I think he should stay at Iowa and finish his career there, whether he plays as a starter or backup. That is my bias, and thus, my frustration. I shouldn't criticize a player for doing what he feels is in his best interest. I'm just disappointed in his decision.

Stand up call to apologize. I am of the opinion that after the rank abuse Rudock took from the fans, I can't blame him for leaving.

Stand up call to apologize. I am of the opinion that after the rank abuse Rudock took from the fans, I can't blame him for leaving.

I agree, we often think, "Oh, these guys don't care about message boards!"

But...how would Jake's parents or siblings feel when reading some of the stuff here? Or his HS coach(es), or potential recruits from his HS?

People think CJB and his dad "did what they had to", but if you're a starter and see stuff like that? I don't CARE if, as a player, you prefer one player over another. When you hear what a coach like GD might say about "Here is the kind of player I/we want at X position", you have to wonder why it's worth busting your tail when a parent or player does those kinds of interviews and becomes the starter.

Some of these players may not have fathers, or their parent(s) might not be the "time-to-do-an-interview" type.

KF and staff may very well hear a different tune from a Jake Rudock in a post-Iowa interview. And if I am Jake, especially if I enjoy any level of success at a different school, I certainly wouldn't do any interviews or e-mail exchanges with "experts" that have called their skills or their "fit" into question.

I admit last year I criticized Sokol for quitting on his team and not sticking around to graduate. Then I learned he did graduate with a degree from Iowa and I totally reversed my position. As long as a player graduates, I feel players have no obligation to stick around and are free to do what they want. I feel like this became the consensus that emerged regarding Sokol.
So I was surprised at the backlash against Rudock this year. The guy will get a degree from Iowa. He got what he came here for. He can do whatever he wants now.

Remember CJB's lineage, his grandfather is Bobby Beathard. Bobby B was a great NFL GM and knows his football and knows CJs ability as does the dad. I bet CJ has been to a lot of QB camps and has been rated by informal scouts. If I was CJ last November and not playing I would have really been thinking of taking my talents elsewhere.

Before the bowl game you have a Tenn kid and his granddad lives in TN. What a great get for some reporters. I can see though why they thought Iowa would be a good place for him because the formations are so pro-style. I hope CJ excels and I saw him excel last year for the most part.

As far as Jake R goes I have never dumped on him about this potential transfer. I have said he played above average in 2013 to help win 8 games and he played avg last year mainly because of inconsistency and being hot and cold. From what I can tell he is a pretty class guy. I wish he would stay if he wants to play somewhere.

It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who was the coach's pet who was publicly praised by said coach after every game, regardless of performance. A guy who got playing time over more deserving players who were forced to either waste years of eligibility (most will only get 4 yrs of eligibility to play football in their entire lives, as they are not going pro) or forced to transfer to another school to have a fair chance at playing in spite of promises made to them when being recruited to Iowa.

No one has said Jake is a bad person. But he is a very privileged person who was given more opportunity that most with his talent level. The one time a coach says..."ok, we are going to give all QBs a fair shot at starting...and Jake, you are the second best on our team," Jake pouts and threatens to transfer. Again, I don't see a need to apologize to such a guy.

It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who was the coach's pet who was publicly praised by said coach after every game, regardless of performance. A guy who got playing time over more deserving players who were forced to either waste years of eligibility (most will only get 4 yrs of eligibility to play football in their entire lives, as they are not going pro) or forced to transfer to another school to have a fair chance at playing in spite of promises made to them when being recruited to Iowa.

No one has said Jake is a bad person. But he is a very privileged person who was given more opportunity that most with his talent level. The one time a coach says..."ok, we are going to give all QBs a fair shot at starting...and Jake, you are the second best on our team," Jake pouts and threatens to transfer. Again, I don't see a need to apologize to such a guy.

He put in two seasons as starting qb. I appreciate and thank him for that. He's graduating. Even though I don't know him and will more than likely never use his skills once he becomes a physician I'm proud of him for that. JR wherever you go I wish you well.

However unlike Sokol and CJB I have this feeling that JR has reached the peak of his talent. This supposed qb competition this season according to KF was a farce. Once there was a hint of true competition for starting signal-caller JR ups and wants to leave. So you're competitive as long as you're #1? Not in my book. No apology needed here at all.

If anyone should be apologizing to Jake Rudock, it's Kirk Ferentz. KF did him no favors coddling him and continuing to put him out there. As for Rudock, I saw enough of him pouting on the sideline during the Purdue game. Next man in

What I can't figure out is that, at least on this site, most of the fans WANTED him out of the picture, anyway. So why are you all so upset now that he's leaving? He's giving you exactly what you wanted.

Or I suppose you expect him to hang around when the competition is closed. Ferentz has reached the point of no return; he can't go back to Rudock at any point next year, not with how riled up the fan base is (especially over this issue). I'm guessing Rudock is smart enough to read that writing on the wall. This isn't about a lack of competitiveness. It's about knowing that no matter what he does, he can't win here.

If anyone should be apologizing to Jake Rudock, it's Kirk Ferentz. KF did him no favors coddling him and continuing to put him out there. As for Rudock, I saw enough of him pouting on the sideline during the Purdue game. Next man in

Yeah, because Beathard was a huge cheerleader when he was riding the pine, I'm sure.

If there was any doubt about the fans that treated JR like crap, you just removed it. Thanks.

What I can't figure out is that, at least on this site, most of the fans WANTED him out of the picture, anyway. So why are you all so upset now that he's leaving? He's giving you exactly what you wanted.

Or I suppose you expect him to hang around when the competition is closed. Ferentz has reached the point of no return; he can't go back to Rudock at any point next year, not with how riled up the fan base is (especially over this issue). I'm guessing Rudock is smart enough to read that writing on the wall. This isn't about a lack of competitiveness. It's about knowing that no matter what he does, he can't win here.

Because many of these supposed Hawkeye fans honestly hate Jake Rudock. They just deplore him. They see him as an extension of KF. When in reality he is simply a very young man who played when he was told to play, did what he was told to do and sat when he was told to sat. And for that the fans hated him. The backup QB is always the most liked guy on the team. I guess we'll see what happens now with CJB this year. Though now this anti-Rudock crowed is so invested in CJB, they could see the same results from CJB that they saw from Rudock last year and they would have a completely different take on it.

The problems this team had last year (and the last several years for that matter) do not start or end with the QB position. It is just the easiest to blame. And doing so is really nothing but a cop out.

Because many of these supposed Hawkeye fans honestly hate Jake Rudock. They just deplore him. They see him as an extension of KF. When in reality he is simply a very young man who played when he was told to play, did what he was told to do and sat when he was told to sat. And for that the fans hated him. The backup QB is always the most liked guy on the team. I guess we'll see what happens now with CJB this year. Though now this anti-Rudock crowed is so invested in CJB, they could see the same results from CJB that they saw from Rudock last year and they would have a completely different take on it.

The problems this team had last year (and the last several years for that matter) do not start or end with the QB position. It is just the easiest to blame. And doing so is really nothing but a cop out.

I'd agree that the problems didn't start and/or end with Rudock, but he was part of it and the QB situation was the easiest of our problems to remedy.

I will give CJB credit for a statement I read (assuming he really said it) that he liked Jake, they were friends, he wishes him well, but Jake has chosen to part ways, so it's his team now. It's actually a good take, because the first INT or fumble or missed throw, or whatever, SOME media hack will put the question to him. His statement reflects his understanding of moving on and not focusing or worrying about what's past. That's part of what made Stanzi a successful QB.

I will give CJB credit for a statement I read (assuming he really said it) that he liked Jake, they were friends, he wishes him well, but Jake has chosen to part ways, so it's his team now. It's actually a good take, because the first INT or fumble or missed throw, or whatever, SOME media hack will put the question to him. His statement reflects his understanding of moving on and not focusing or worrying about what's past. That's part of what made Stanzi a successful QB.

Sunshine seems to be solid mentally. Jake seemed to dwell on mistakes but I think CJ will do a better job of shaking it off and scoring on the next drive.

If there was any doubt about the fans that treated JR like crap, you just removed it. Thanks.

Treated like crap =

Playing division one college football.
Being given every opportunity by the head coach.
Being a QB for the Hawkeyes... being loved by a lot of people JUST because you play QB for Iowa.
Traveling around the country, meeting famous people, being around big time athletes.
Getting an education and start towards a medical degree at a good school.
Having some fans whine about how you aren't that good.
Getting the admiration and respect of the coach when the other QB gets talked about like he is an annoying red headed step child.

Sorry but yet again feeling sorry for these guys just is so funny...

Jake Rudock got to be THE MAN he feels sorry for us.

Sunshine seems to be solid mentally. Jake seemed to dwell on mistakes but I think CJ will do a better job of shaking it off and scoring on the next drive.

Jake did a pretty good job of NOT focusing on mistakes and moving on. A he&& of a lot better than most fans, especially.

Latest posts