Anyone here that played football in middle school or high school

lightning1

has played more football than Paul Finebaum or Colin Cowherd combined. Keep that in mind when listening to their comedy shows. That's what I call it when someone that has never played even 1 down of football, yet considers themselves an expert on the sport. Comedy.
Edit: It appears Cowherd played some high school football. So his opinion is at least as valid as all of the "experts" on this board.

Last edited:
I have a cousin who covers a D1 college football team and never played a day of football in his life. He does a great job. One of the reasons is that he just reports the facts and doesn't try to judge or second guess what happens on the field or decisions coaches make. He's not out to get Twitter hits. Just does his job and gives the fans information. Finebaum and Cowherd do nothing but give opinions based from no knowledge base.

Did JM really play for West Branch or Solon or West Liberty or whatever town he claims to come from? I have heard him claim to play wide receiver but I have never seen any definitive proof. I always thought he was more of a basketball fan growing up and only pays attention to football because it gets more traffic for his site.

Did JM really play for West Branch or Solon or West Liberty or whatever town he claims to come from? I have heard him claim to play wide receiver but I have never seen any definitive proof. I always thought he was more of a basketball fan growing up and only pays attention to football because it gets more traffic for his site.
​ think he played TE.

You can absolutely analyze a sport without playing it. It's weird to think otherwise.

You can absolutely analyze a sport without playing it. It's weird to think otherwise.

Of course you can but your opinion carries no more weight than anyone else around here. I won't call anyone an "expert" if they hadn't played in college or the NFL. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

They're radio personalities who discuss sports (damn that would be a fun job). And the most important aspect of their job is to attract listeners. The best way to do so is make people laugh or **** people off. It appears that in the state of Iowa, these guys are absolutely experts. Damn, they got a 2 month long troll going and people just keep on feeding it.

Of course you can but your opinion carries no more weight than anyone else around here. I won't call anyone an "expert" if they hadn't played in college or the NFL. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I'd go as far as hesitating calling former college players experts. Just because someone may have been very good at playing a game doesn't mean they truly understand it.

I prefer the simplistic dichotomy between former players who were once great and look good and are built like athletes but when you put them in the radio booth or in front of the television camera they are as stiff and awkward as anything. Then you have the skinny short nerds with made for radio faces who can talk forever and tease you endlessly and keep their listeners attention even if there isn't anything to talk about.

Heck, anyone who played intramural flag football in college knows more about football than Greenie on Mike & Mike!

lol, some of the things you guys come up with to complain is hilarious. he never played so he doesn't understand anything about football. he didn't fight in the civil war so he can't be an expert.

lol, some of the things you guys come up with to complain is hilarious. he never played so he doesn't understand anything about football. he didn't fight in the civil war so he can't be an expert.
He can be a historical expert but I bet you he can't describe the screams of gut shot men lying in the mud. Or the smell of 5,000 rotting soldiers in the field.
My point is this and it's quite simple, so try and keep up: His opinion holds no more weight than any opinion of the posters on this board. None of the posters on this board are calling themselves experts. The ones that do get laughed at. If I played football for KF at Iowa and came here to share my opinion on the trials this program faces...most people would listen. Why? Because I have first hand knowledge. 1st hand knowledge isn't the be all, end all but it's a damn good start.
If that's too hard for some of you to comprehend, that's fine. Move on.

has played more football than Paul Finebaum or Colin Cowherd combined. Keep that in mind when listening to their comedy shows. That's what I call it when someone that has never played even 1 down of football, yet considers themselves an expert on the sport. Comedy.
Edit: It appears Cowherd played some high school football. So his opinion is at least as valid as all of the "experts" on this board.
Water girl doesn't count.

He can be a historical expert but I bet you he can't describe the screams of gut shot men lying in the mud. Or the smell of 5,000 rotting soldiers in the field.
My point is this and it's quite simple, so try and keep up: His opinion holds no more weight than any opinion of the posters on this board. None of the posters on this board are calling themselves experts. The ones that do get laughed at. If I played football for KF at Iowa and came here to share my opinion on the trials this program faces...most people would listen. Why? Because I have first hand knowledge. 1st hand knowledge isn't the be all, end all but it's a damn good start.
If that's too hard for some of you to comprehend, that's fine. Move on.

There is one difference between Finebaum's opinion and our opinions: Finebaum is getting paid a lot of money to provide his opinion, and we are not! Finebaum must be doing something right to get so much exposure. I do agree that I tend to listen more carefully to people who actually played or coached football, and especially those who played or coached high level college or professional football. I vividly remember a story I heard about Jon Gruden, who did the color for the Iowa-LSU Outback Bowl January 1, 2014 when Beathard was a freshman, I believe. He was on the sidelines watching Iowa practice and Ed Podolak asked him whether he saw any NFL prospects on Iowa's offensive side of the ball. He immediately mentioned one player and one player only: CJ Beathard. Podolak has always pushed for more playing time for Beathard, but until this fall it didn't happen. I'm sure glad he is playing this season!

Being correct is what carries weight when it comes to opinion. Otherwise it's just authoritative fallacy.

I've never been a woman, but I can certainly tell quality ones from trash.
Were you born with that skill or did it come from experience? Nobody is saying that Finebaum has to BE a football to be an expert. If you were a virgin and told us you could tell the difference.....we'd call you a liar at worst or ignorant at best.

Latest posts