Anyone ever been to South Bend?

braytonra

If I were a recruit and visited Notre Dame in whatever sport, I'd say no freaking way. South Bend makes MLK Road in Des Moines look like Mills Civic Parkway. I happen to be in that armpit last summer....like that moose that wanders around with a mite on his brain, having no idea where he is headed. Anyway, I felt very unsafe walking down the street at 2:00 pm on a Sunday. If you take two steps in any direction off campus with a blindfold on and release the blindfold, reminds me of.......Any thoughts?

Whatever...I've lived in Colorado for a while and have forgotten to praise MLK with the Blvd mentality. Sorry.

My wife is from there so I know all about the SBI and the Mish. The University is basically spotless and then you get about 3 blocks away and it is boarded up houses and drug deals all day.

Dont get me wrong, there are some really nice parts of South Bend and Mishawaka becuase some people there have some serious money, but overall South Bend isnt pretty. And on top of that there are no really good bars to go to if you go to school there.

The campus is beautiful but everything for miles around it is crap. Ex girlfriend lived in one of the suburbs so I was there quite a few times.

ND's campus and the general area around it is beautiful. The rest? not so much.

Yes ... but a lot of campuses are beautiful. A lot of other campuses may not necessarily be beautiful ... but they have a really cool vibe.

Of course, having the surrounding area be a crap-hole isn't always a deterrent for some recruits. After all, USC has a decent campus ... but right outside of their "compound" is a pretty tough neighborhood.

There ARE good bars (Legends' is on campus), O'Rourke's was just built last year and is across the street, the "Backer" is a block off, Corby's is a few miles in town, and there are many more. Each of these offers a different atmosphere to suit whatever mood. Then, after a looong night, there are a few places like Nick's patio to get your greasy food fix. Also, the new Eddie Commons is like a miniature town right across the street with a whole lot to offer.

iowa city, on the whole, offers a much nicer city, but the bar comment is just not accurate.

I'm not a fan of South Bend, but I will be heading there for opening weekend to cheer on USF (can't stand the Irish)

The bar that we frequent on our way to the games has carpet and bullet holes.....not exaggerating

Northern Indiana is a crap hole all the way from West to East. A pocket here or there doesn't change the fact that it sucks. That being said, there is a proximity to Chicago, which is probably what sells a lot of recruits.

Do you have any friends that have gone to school there? I haven't been to SB but have close friends and relatives that went to Notre Dame. I also know some of the top Notre Dame leadership.

Everyone I know that has gone there has loved the school and had a great experience. They've also been great people who have done very well in life and their careers. I know it's a small sample size but pretty impressive regardless.

Bottom line - Notre Dame is a great school, very difficult to get into, smaller, with some awesome tradition and school spirit. It's a different type of college experience than a state school. Take away all of the media hype the football program receives and it's still a great school. Doesn't mean it's for everyone. They also have a lot of good sports programs. I'd be proud of any of my kids if they qualified to get into Notre Dame.

Has anyone been to a game there? I'm curious about the gameday experience. I also get the sense that their 2 biggest rivals are Michigan and USC.

Has anyone ever accidentally walked a few blocks east of Drake University? I felt like I was on The Wire.

Yeah.. it gets a little sketchy over in that area. I was driving through that neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure we saw two prostitutes and then two people just walked out in front of me in the street. If I wouldn't have slowed down I would have smoked them. That's how they roll over there I guess. I live on the other (good) side of I-235 thankfully.

If I were a recruit and visited Notre Dame in whatever sport, I'd say no freaking way. South Bend makes MLK Road in Des Moines look like Mills Civic Parkway. I happen to be in that armpit last summer....like that moose that wanders around with a mite on his brain, having no idea where he is headed. Anyway, I felt very unsafe walking down the street at 2:00 pm on a Sunday. If you take two steps in any direction off campus with a blindfold on and release the blindfold, reminds me of.......Any thoughts?

If I were a recruit I'd be more concerned with their 69-54 record and two bowl wins over the last 10 years.

If you're a recruit and you get the red carpet rolled out for you it's pretty hard to turn down Notre Dame. For example, the Irish players go from the church to the stadium on gameday, fans line the sidewalk. On jr. day the recruits walk through a gameday morning routine. On jr. day the recruits walked through a tunnel of 10,000 fans lining that sidewalk. No other fan base in college football is even close to there level.

That said South Bend is a dump.

Do you have to be a Catholic to go to Notre Dame?

If there was a 5* recruit with a 4.0GPA who was also an admitted Muslim, Buddhist, Devil Worshiper, etc., will Notre Dame still take them? Just curious...

Funny story about Pete Gillen. When Digger Phelps stepped down at Notre Dame at the end of the '91 season, everbody assumed that Gillen would be the next Notre Dame coach. He had been Digger's top assistant for five years & had just completed his sixth season of a very successful run at Xavier.

The Notre Dame athletic director contacted Xavier for permission to speak with Gillen. However, Gillen told his boss to tell Notre Dame that he wasn't interested in the position. Supposedly, Notre Dame had always been Gillen's dream job.

While no reason was given for his refusal, the predominant rumor was that Gillen's wife had refused to move back to South Bend.

Do you have to be a Catholic to go to Notre Dame?

If there was a 5* recruit with a 4.0GPA who was also an admitted Muslim, Buddhist, Devil Worshiper, etc., will Notre Dame still take them? Just curious...

You don't have even have to be Catholic to be the Notre Dame coach. Two of the most successful coaches in Notre Dame history weren't Catholic. Knute Rockne was a Norwegian Lutheran, though he did convert to Catholicsim while at Notre Dame. Ara Paseghian was an Armenian Presbyterian.

Remember, Luther Bradley? He was an All-American defensive back on the 1977 National Championship team. Obviously, with the name Luther, he wasn't Catholic.

But to answer your stupid question, Notre Dame, like most religious affiliated institutions, accepts students of all colors, creeds & faiths.

You don't have even have to be Catholic to be the Notre Dame coach. Two of the most successful coaches in Notre Dame history weren't Catholic. Knute Rockne was a Norwegian Lutheran, though he did convert to Catholicsim while at Notre Dame. Ara Paseghian was an Armenian Presbyterian.

Remember, Luther Bradley? He was an All-American defensive back on the 1977 National Championship team. Obviously, with the name Luther, he wasn't Catholic.

But to answer your stupid question, Notre Dame, like most religious affiliated institutions, accepts students of all colors, creeds & faiths.

Wow...didn't realize it was a stupid question. Sorry I'm not as all-knowing as you. Feel free to going back to being a dick to others on the board. Thanks.

Latest posts