Anybody remember Johnny Fort?

page B-2 THE NEW MEXICAN Santa Fe, N.M., Thursday, January 29,1987, said that Fort quit the Virginia tech team.

Johnny Fort was a top ranked 2 guard from Gary, Indiana. Frank Burmeister recruited him for Iowa along with another Gary product, Tim McCallister. Fort verbaled and Burmeister liked him over McCallister. The latter would have come to Iowa as he had both a brother and a sister in school in Iowa City.

When Lute finally saw the two play in a camp all star game, he was furious as McCallister "schooled" Johnny.

Fort came to Iowa, pulled a knife on somebody in the dorm and was sent packing.

McCallister became an All-American at Oklahoma.

Johnny Fort was a top ranked 2 guard from Gary, Indiana. Frank Burmeister recruited him for Iowa along with another Gary product, Tim McCallister. Fort verbaled and Burmeister liked him over McCallister. The latter would have come to Iowa as he had both a brother and a sister in school in Iowa City.

When Lute finally saw the two play in a camp all star game, he was furious as McCallister "schooled" Johnny.

Fort came to Iowa, pulled a knife on somebody in the dorm and was sent packing.

McCallister became an All-American at Oklahoma.

I do somewhat remember hearing of Lute being extremely upset with the signing of Fort instead of McCallister.

Wasn't Tubbs dad just inducted in the the IA HS HOF? I think what I saw mentioned Briggs - still in Iowa - working at a bank maybe?

My memory is horrific.

i think Fort was at Iowa for Raveling and not Lute. Lute may have recruited him but he played in 84 for Raveling.

You're not confusing him with Anthony Pendleton are you? Fort was an Lute recruit, but don't believe played here (true/false).

Roster at the time:
Ken Fullard
Kurt Stange
Michael Payne
Steve Carfino
Todd Berkenpas
Waymond King
Brad Lohaus
Greg Stokes
Andre Banks
Bryan Boyle

Missing anybody ?

George Raveling recruited Johnny Fort. Johnny Fort....the savior at point guard that did not pan out......my memory

I think Lute recruited him to Iowa but then went to Zona and thus played for Raveling, that is how i think it went down. Raveling coached Iowa in 84 i believe.

Latest posts