anybody else notice...

Foval21

How little gesell and clemmons play together anymore?

I was told by many posters that gesell is better at the 2 and expect him and clemmons to play together more and more. But their time together has gone down and down. I see that staying the norm next yr and the following yrs as iowa brings in true 2 and 3 types (ie jok, uthoff). Maybe it is because may and ogelsby have been playing better (especially may) but next yr jok and uthoff are both better than may and they will play the 3 and jok will play the 2 also. This will limit the time gesell is at the 2 which limits how much clemmons and gesell are on the court together.

Clemmons isn't starting because Fran wants Basabe starting and doesn't want to sit Woodbury, White or Marble. It has nothing to do with the play of Oglesby or May.

Clemmons isn't starting because Fran wants Basabe starting and doesn't want to sit Woodbury, White or Marble. It has nothing to do with the play of Oglesby or May.

This isn't about who is starting it is about how many minutes they are on the court together...which has become a lot less. Basabe is part of the reason along with may and ogelsby...but another reason is gesell is better as a pg and he is the better pg...that won't change next yr but the amt of minutes at the 2 willl get smaller with uthoff playing the 3 (making marble play the 2 more) and jok probably being the primary back up at the 2.

This isn't about who is starting it is about how many minutes they are on the court together...which has become a lot less. Basabe is part of the reason along with may and ogelsby...but another reason is gesell is better as a pg and he is the better pg...that won't change next yr but the amt of minutes at the 2 willl get smaller with uthoff playing the 3 (making marble play the 2 more) and jok probably being the primary back up at the 2.

If you aren't starting, you aren't on the floor with the starters as much.

I was told by many posters that gesell is better at the 2 and expect him and clemmons to play together more and more. But their time together has gone down and down. I see that staying the norm next yr and the following yrs as iowa brings in true 2 and 3 types (ie jok, uthoff). Maybe it is because may and ogelsby have been playing better (especially may) but next yr jok and uthoff are both better than may and they will play the 3 and jok will play the 2 also. This will limit the time gesell is at the 2 which limits how much clemmons and gesell are on the court together.

I have a hard time believing that Jok will be better than what May is doing right now.

Offensively yes but Mays defense and rebounding have been crucial. Hes flat out playing like a man and youre not going to get that from a freshman.

I have a hard time believing that Jok will be better than what May is doing right now.

Offensively yes but Mays defense and rebounding have been crucial. Hes flat out playing like a man and youre not going to get that from a freshman.

Just saying the roster setup for next yr will make it more difficult to find minutes for gesell at the 2 with added depth at the 2 and 3 spots. How may is playing right now is too good for us to expect jok to do on his own. But uthoff and jok and ogelsby and white should be able to pick up the slack a little making the time for gesell at the 2 sparce. And if he isn't playing the 2 then him and clemmons won't be on the court together.

Gessel is playing better right now for sure. Clemmons confidence seems to have taken a hit while May and Marble are picking it up.

Mike isn't a true point though. There are times when he has perfect opportunities to set others up and forces a shot.

I still like Clemmons potential as a true point guard.

Just saying the roster setup for next yr will make it more difficult to find minutes for gesell at the 2 with added depth at the 2 and 3 spots. How may is playing right now is too good for us to expect jok to do on his own. But uthoff and jok and ogelsby and white should be able to pick up the slack a little making the time for gesell at the 2 sparce. And if he isn't playing the 2 then him and clemmons won't be on the court together.

I don't disagree with that, especially next year. In two years you will probably see more of them together again.

I have had the same discussion with people on here as well. Gesell is not moving to the 2. Ever. As Fran just said, "I did a great disservice to Gesell by moving him to the off-guard"(just quoted). That's absolutely correct and what I felt from the beginning.

Gessel is playing better right now for sure. Clemmons confidence seems to have taken a hit while May and Marble are picking it up.

Mike isn't a true point though. There are times when he has perfect opportunities to set others up and forces a shot.

I still like Clemmons potential as a true point guard.

I prefer pass 1st pgs but from the direction fran has taken the team in the latest games I would bet that he prefers what gesell is doing. And with how the depth is coming in next yr the minutes at the 2 spot are getting less up for grabs.

It seems to me that they both play point guard at the same time with Mike G handling the majority of the shooting chores.....

Clemmons generally plays with an inferior offensive group. I think that will change next year and make a difference. He's very quick with the ball in his hands. He and Mike will see some time on the court together.

I don't expect them to be on the court together alot going forward. Mike G has been playing pretty darn good lately and alot better and with more confidence then Clemmons. I could see late game scenerios with both on the court for ball handling/free throw shooting but I don't see it being the norm going forward. I think the better of the two will be playing more but not at the same time much. May playing as well as he has lately has a ton to do with that lets not kid ourselves but not having two shorter players in the backcourt out there at the same time isn't what any coach would want to do regulary. I don't think Gessell is a classic pg per say but having a guy that can shoot as well as he is capable of brings more to the table then Clemmons does now. I was hoping Clemmons would closer to a Mike Henderson type of pg but so far he hasn't been that great even at the D end of the court. Hopefully he will be down the road.

Clemmons generally plays with an inferior offensive group. I think that will change next year and make a difference. He's very quick with the ball in his hands. He and Mike will see some time on the court together.

Clemmons' man to man defense is pretty solid and he is worth having on the floor at times just for that aspect of his game....Iowa played a lot of zone today and I think the lineup with Gesell, Marble and May is more effective in the zone....Clemmons' offensive game needs work but his ball handling and defense is pretty darn good for a freshman.

Clemmons' man to man defense is pretty solid and he is worth having on the floor at times just for that aspect of his game....Iowa played a lot of zone today and I think the lineup with Gesell, Marble and May is more effective in the zone....Clemmons' offensive game needs work but his ball handling and defense is pretty darn good for a freshman.

Agreed. Clemmons is the best on ball defender on the team but he gets in foul trouble by being too aggressive sometimes.

I would guess from Coach McCaffery's substitution schemes, that he has decided that it is more important to have a fresh PG on the floor at all times rather than have two of them playing together.

Foval - How many minutes do you think Clemmons is going to play as a junior? MG is going to be a 30-35 mpg player at that point. Unless you think Clemmons is a 5 mpg player they are going to play together a lot and Clemmons isn't going to be the guy playing the 2.

Latest posts