Anybody else bored with Big Ten basketball?

1977Hawkeye

This will probably get me ripped by the basketball purists out there, and that's fine. But is anybody else bored with the style of play in the Big Ten in general?

OSU 36, PSU 24 at halftime.

ANOTHER low scoring game. This isn't a knock on Iowa, it's the Big Ten overall. Iowa is just 1 of 11 teams.

Maybe I'm just pining for the good old days, but I remember the days when I was a kid and lived at home, I would watch Iowa basketball with my parents, and if the teams were in the 20's at halftime, we were like "WOW! What a low scoring game!" Now it is almost the norm. When do you EVER see a team get to 50 at halftime anymore?

Illinois @PSU a week or so ago, Illinois was ON FIRE In the first half, yet it took a last second basket just to get to 40 at halftime.

The pace of play in the Big Ten.. It's SO half-court oriented anymore. No fast breaks, no running off of missed shots, or even off of made baskets. Or very little of it anyway. Frankly, I'm a little bored with it. Most of the games are played in the 50's and 60's. I'm not saying that a low-scoring game can't be exciting sometimes, but IMO there is just so much less action than there used to be.

Honestly, I watch Iowa because that's just what I do, because I'm a fan. But I really don't enjoy watching other Big Ten teams play these days. I fully admit that part of it is because of the lack of success from Iowa in recent years, but that's not all of it.

Go ahead and rip away. I don't mind. And I'm not saying that the rest of you are wrong if you enjoy it. Maybe I'm the only one. But it's the way I feel about Big Ten hoops right now.

What say you?

Last edited:
I agree completely. You're best bet at seeing exciting basketball in the Big Ten is if Michigan State was playing themselves.

Having said that, I'm off to Carver to watch another thrilling Iowa game.

You are right. I don't watch much Big 10 bb anymore because I also find it boring. I find Iowa bb boring and have since the day Lickliter took over the program but I continue to watch because I am a Hawk fan. I admit I would like to see Iowa run fast breaks again instead of always pulling up and walking the ball up the court and playing possession bb. Some may call this style of ball "pure bb" but I call it boring bb.

Tonight's game was another game where Iowa jacked up three's all night long and shot more threes than they did twos. That is not how bb should be played. I realize Iowa was unable to go inside most of the night so they settled for the three, like they usually do and like Lickliter wants most of the time. But to basically completely eliminate the fast break from the game of bb is a travesty IMO, whether by design or not. BB is supposed to be an exciting game to watch and Lickliter has basically taken that away from me. Perhaps he hasn't for some of you but for me he has taken a lot of the fun and excitement away from Iowa bb as have many of the Big 10 teams.

Even with next year's class and more depth that isn't going to change. Lickliter and Butler style bb just is not for me, just as Wisconsin style and NW style is not enjoyable to watch.

Turn on the Big East and ACC and watch some of their games ...then watch Iowa and the Big 10...especially Iowa, even on a good night. Yes they play hard but it just is not enjoyable bb to watch...

MSU,OSU and Purdue can play fast. Thats about it. OSU had 49 pts the other day at halftime. I do not see all that many conference games anywhere with 100 pt games...ok maybe providence.

its always been "boring" basketball, but the talent level in the league has dropped significantly and watching bad players play boring basketball is just impossible...

its always been "boring" basketball, but the talent level in the league has dropped significantly and watching bad players play boring basketball is just impossible...
Are you kidding me! The talent level in the Big 10 is as good as it has ever been. The players are big, strong, fast and very skilled. The basketball being played out there is very competitive and physical. I was on the floor last night and it us unbelieveable how skilled and physical the games are. It is a chess match out there between players and coaches and the margin for error is very small. When a mistake is made the other teams in the Big Ten capitalize. With a young team, Iowa is making more mistakes and the more experienced teams are capitalizing.

I actually enjoy watching Northwestern. Partly because of Northwestern's pathetic basketball history compared to how they are doing now. They can fill Welsh-Ryan Arena, and they are fun to watch.

We are the Northwestern of previous years. If Northwestern can turn it around, there may be hope for us.

Are you kidding me! The talent level in the Big 10 is as good as it has ever been. The players are big, strong, fast and very skilled. The basketball being played out there is very competitive and physical. I was on the floor last night and it us unbelieveable how skilled and physical the games are. It is a chess match out there between players and coaches and the margin for error is very small. When a mistake is made the other teams in the Big Ten capitalize. With a young team, Iowa is making more mistakes and the more experienced teams are capitalizing.

Dude get out of here. Have you ever watched basketball before? Illinois was one of the skinniest teams to ever take the court in a Big Ten game. The Big Ten has four solid teams in MSU, Purdue, OSU, and Wisconsin while the rest float in mediocrity to way below mediocrity (see Iowa, Penn St., Indiana).

Did you honestly say the Big Ten has as much talent as it has ever had? Really? Turner and Lucas are studs but who else out their will play in the NBA? Purdue has some solid guys who might one day make it there, but they will be developmental prospects if they do make the jump. Sims is a solid player, but he is hardly an all world player and Harris is one of the most inconsistent players in the nation. Kentucky has more first round picks on its roster than the entire Big Ten. That is how bad things have gotten in the league.

I completely agree with the OP, the Big Ten is just not very good, but it will benefit this year from the Pac Ten and SEC being down in terms of historical norms. The worst thing is that this freshman class is looking to be incredibly weak. Richardson did nothing last night to hint to future stardom and he needs to gain some serious weight, Paul looks like he can barely dribble the ball down the court. The bright spots have been Crawford from NU, a couple of the Indiana kids, and Eric May. That is not a very solid foundation to build off of in my opinion.

The problem is not with the quality of players but the officiating style that the Big Ten continues to support. The Big Ten games are so physical and nothing is called unless you take an arm out or something like that.

Watch a Big East game and things are called a lot tighter and players are able to get to the basket without getting a blantant shove that is accepted in the Big Ten as good defense.

Apparently the Coralville Applebys is. 7:30 rolled around last night and they kept all their TVs on ESPN and ESPN2. The state of Iowa basketball in the public consciousness of the Iowa City community is at the lowest I can remember (I'm 37)

Latest posts