Any real chance of assistant coaching changes

NoBeer

People have off and on mentioned bringing in a defensive guru but frankly I don't see any changes happening given the tone at Iowa. We don't fire assistants except in rare cases. Ken O'Keefe was able to move on to the pros. I think a couple assistants involved in the misleading circumstance rumors around Eno Benjamin but its rare. Any chance Fran makes a change? The differences in our offensive ranking and defensive ranking (top 30ish vs possibly worst in P5) is pretty stark.

Fran said unless one of them gets a head coaching job which isn't a possibility they will all be back. Frustrating but he's too stubborn to make a change that is desperately needed.

Fran said unless one of them gets a head coaching job which isn't a possibility they will all be back. Frustrating but he's too stubborn to make a change that is desperately needed.

Even Kirk lets a guy go once in awhile and he's stubborn to a fault. I know, I know, it's not exactly the same situation.

is there like a post-season exit interview Fran did and is there a link?

And before you get on a kid for looking at his mentions, avoiding them is not as easy as it sounds in today’s world, when smartphones have become so crucial to connecting to others' everyday life.

Yeah it actually is that easy. Kids don't "connect" on twitter. Group texts, snapchat etc. all of which are entirely (or almost) absent of any negativity about you as a player. The only reason you would be aware of what people are saying about you on Twitter is if you are seeking it out.

Also, we seem to have the same problem that we have in football which is generally, no one wants our assistants apparently since they almost never leave for better jobs.

As far as being a mentor to assistant coaches, Kirk and Fran are no Hayden Fry.
It sounds more like good paying, low expectation jobs and you get complacent assistants who wouldn't want to leave. If every conversation of interest starts "Would you be inter..." "NO!" then we'd never even know if they've been approached. Kind of like government work. Job security for life, even if you stink.

AR-171229815.jpg

FIRE PROOF BOW-TIE.

Yeah it actually is that easy. Kids don't "connect" on twitter. Group texts, snapchat etc. all of which are entirely (or almost) absent of any negativity about you as a player. The only reason you would be aware of what people are saying about you on Twitter is if you are seeking it out.

Also, we seem to have the same problem that we have in football which is generally, no one wants our assistants apparently since they almost never leave for better jobs.

Its not about seeking it out...Twitter is just a toxic piece of shit application. Anyone can broadcast anything or DM anyone directly until they get individually blocked. So they don't have to seek it out....when these kids turn on their phones they get spammed with 300 notifications about how terrible they are

He's the one that needs to go. I think Francis is a better recruiter than him and Speraw isn't going anywhere.
b22.gif

Oh, but that Sherman dresses so dapper and reminds me of how my late husband, George, use to dress for our monthly dates at the IA Rotary Club and early breakfast social. We surely can't lose a such well dressed man as he is such an asset to our basketball club's well intentioned endeavors. I conquer Betty.

Its not about seeking it out...Twitter is just a toxic piece of shit application. Anyone can broadcast anything or DM anyone directly until they get individually blocked. So they don't have to seek it out....when these kids turn on their phones they get spammed with 300 notifications about how terrible they are

I've turned off notifications on my social media apps. It allows me to check in once in a blue moon without ever getting "pulled in." It really isn't that hard. Kirk seems to manage it.

I've turned off notifications on my social media apps. It allows me to check in once in a blue moon without ever getting "pulled in." It really isn't that hard. Kirk seems to manage it.

yeah its easy for you and me, but put yourself in their shoes. Theyve probably used twitter for years and so do all of their friends, and now suddenly their feed is nothing but people tagging you talking shit about you and people DM'ing you hateful stuff. Its kinda hard to say what you would or wouldn't do when you're not a public figure like they are.

You can't DM someone unless they follow you unless they are stupid and changed it where their DM's are open to anyone.

Is it really a good idea to fire a black assistant coach right now?
If they're not good sure. Here's the thing, there's not really the level of direct accountability in basketball like there is with OC/DC and position coaches in football. If one of the coaches on Fran's staff is responsible for defense ABSOLUTELY fire that one. We were the worst defense in the Power 5 and were something like 250th overall. So if one of the coaches is the defense guy, fire him.

If they're not good sure. Here's the thing, there's not really the level of direct accountability in basketball like there is with OC/DC and position coaches in football. If one of the coaches on Fran's staff is responsible for defense ABSOLUTELY fire that one. We were the worst defense in the Power 5 and were something like 250th overall. So if one of the coaches is the defense guy, fire him.

That was just a joke about last time we fired a non white, non male, it didn't turn out so well.