Another Walk-On

Not even close!! Jordan attempted 64 2-pt shots and shot 40 FTs.

Devan didn't attempt a 2-pt shot and only attempted 6 FT's.

Getting to the FT line maybe just a product of having the ball in his hands at the ends of games, but it's much better to see someone that actually shoots them, than one that doesn't get opportunities.

Over 3/4 of his total shot attempts were from 3. I don't think that is all that much of a stretch to call them similar.

I will wait until I actually see the kid play a game or two before I start comparing him to anyone else.

For now, I will view it as another positive for the program as we add a bit more depth in the back court with a guy that logged a lot of minutes last season at a very successful DII program and is someone I believe will honestly work his tail off in practice which should only help to motivate the likes of Gatens/May/Marble/etc. (not that I feel any of them are not determined to do all they can to avoid another season like last year)

Over 3/4 of his total shot attempts were from 3. I don't think that is all that much of a stretch to call them similar.

Sure, he shot a lot of 3's, but he can put it on the floor and get to the rack, too. That was something that Devan never did. So they may be similar, but Stoermer has the dimension to his game that Devan needed to be effective.

Jordan was quoted as saying 'he always wanted to be a Hawkeye...and would be amazing if I got a chance to play a couple minutes...' Perfectly with Fran's philosophy...Not use schollys unneccessarily and finding guys who want to be Hawkeyes...Plus gives us some much needed depth at guard with at least some college experience.

Are walk-ons the answer? :confused:

Well...that all depends on the question, TweeterHawk!

Adding walk-ons to the roster provides bodies for practices and scrimmages, and could provide some needed relief minutes during games.

But adding players who apparently weren't good enough for scholarships when scholarships are available makes me wonder how much they'll be able to contribute down the road. We need scholarship-level players now. With these announcements, is Fran essentially saying this is the best he could do under the circumstances?

I continue to believe Fran will get it done here. But it's troubling to be missing out on some of these players who are accepting scholarships to play elsewhere.

You make a good point Tweeter, but a question to ask is whether or not the walk-ons and those who weren't good enough for scholarships are better than nothing?

And yes after, apparently, 'wasting' all that time on Brust, this is probably the best he can do until next year...Which is understandable considering the circumstances. Missing out on those players who chose a different college can be almost assured after a 10-22 record....Now why any of them would chose ISCC is beyond me :)

You make a good point Tweeter, but a question to ask is whether or not the walk-ons and those who weren't good enough for scholarships are better than nothing?

And yes after, apparently, 'wasting' all that time on Brust, this is probably the best he can do until next year...Which is understandable considering the circumstances. Missing out on those players who chose a different college can be almost assured after a 10-22 record....Now why any of them would chose ISCC is beyond me :)

True. True.

This kid lives in the same area i have and seems to be a pretty good kid. I use to see him at the rec center working on his game ALL the time. He has got a pretty good game and will be a fantastic walk on and maybe even see some time on the floor. BTW his sister is pretty good too.

These kids will all get scholarships to play for Iowa next year. There is absolutely no reason not to give the kids the money when scholarships are available. It will be a one year scholarship with no guarantee of continuance.

All athletic scholarships are one-year scholarships with no guarantees for renewal.

There's no point in giving out a scholarship and then yanking it when you need them for the 2011 class.

Being a walk-on is a two-way street. No one is FORCING these kids to come on as walk-ons. FM offered the opportunity to be a Hawkeye, but with a price. Those kids accepted.

FM even addressed this in the interview today with Jon....saying the walk-ons will fill a void by providing the ability to practice with a full roster and to spell starters for a few minutes here and there.

I know they are one year scholarships, which is why I wouldn't see any reason not to give the walkons scholarships for the year. We've had some success in the past with walk-ons playing key roles on the team and there is no reason to assume they aren't going to help. Just because they use a scholarship this year doesn't mean that scholarship wouldn't be available going forward. It wouldn't hinder recruiting at all. It would benefit the kids and the team. I don't see any downside as long as the expectation is that it's for one year with no guarantee of a renewal. The kids get a year of college paid for, plus all of the additional perks of being a scholarship player. We get bodies that can spell the core group during games and additional bodies for practice.

Tell me where the downside is to giving them a scholarship?

Jordan was really good at West. I actually wondered where he ended up. That team was on his back for a while. If I am not mistaken, he and Gatens had some pretty memorable games going at each other. Gatens had the much better supporting cast, but Jordan more than held his own with respect to stats.

Kind of surprised he didn't end up going to UNI, like Ali, seems like a perfect fit there.

Last edited:
I love it, we had what appears to be a quality walk-on and people complain. I don't get it. If these kids prove to be nothing more than quality practice fodder that will be a good thing. Provide some minutes hear and there during a game that's even better.

I love it, we had what appears to be a quality walk-on and people complain. I don't get it. If these kids prove to be nothing more than quality practice fodder that will be a good thing. Provide some minutes hear and there during a game that's even better.

I don't think people are complaining about walk-ons. I think they are wondering whether the W-Os are in place of getting a scholarship player or two this year and whether FM is banking rides for next year's recruiting class.

Latest posts