Another nice version of the Chris Street and J Bohannon story

Chris was no phony. He sacrificed his game to allow Acie Earl to be the alpha dog, knowing that he would get his chance his senior year (which of course he didn't).

Chris worked to turn weaknesses into strengths. He was the unquestioned spiritual leader of the team. He wasn't as athletic as Russ Millard, wasn't as physical as Jess Settles, but combined what he did have with a cerebral approach that was similiar to Ryan Bowen, who had a 7-8 year NBA Career.

The accompanying photo also shows Mr. Davis and Gary Close and was taken during the Purdue game, where our ass was handed to us. I wonder how tempting it would have been for Davis and Close to grab a clipboard?

I've had more Street memories flooding back to me with this thread.

I remember him in the 1992 NCAA'S jawing with Duke's Christian Laettner (the greatest college career I ever saw) as the opening possession of the game spilled out of bounds.

I remember January 19, 1993 like it was yesterday, but didn't catch the news right away. I was living in Dubuque at the time and the heat broke down in my apartment. Tired of freezing for the night, I went to bed early, cause I had a space heater set up for the bedroom and bathroom. So I missed all the ESPN cut-ins, etc. I found out in the paper the next morning, spending so much time staring at the headline I forgot to read the article. I worked at TCI cable at the time so access to ESPN would be readily available at work. I remember going to the headend, (receiving hub site) to scrape ice off the sattelite dishes wandering around in a daze for an hour and a half.

What blows my mind is that was almost 26 years ago. 40 and under posters would have been in middle School at best that day. 30 and under probably are too young to remember it. For Bohannon to preserve his legacy in any way possible without damaging the integrity of the game makes me proud to a Hawkeye fan.

I enjoyed watching Christ Street play, and it was a tragedy that he died so young. I hope the best for his family, but I wish Bohannon would of tried to make the free throw. He might of missed if he had tried, but either way records are meant to be broken. It seems that his record has a stain of untruth on it. He was a great player.

Chris was no phony. He sacrificed his game to allow Acie Earl to be the alpha dog, knowing that he would get his chance his senior year (which of course he didn't).

Chris worked to turn weaknesses into strengths. He was the unquestioned spiritual leader of the team. He wasn't as athletic as Russ Millard, wasn't as physical as Jess Settles, but combined what he did have with a cerebral approach that was similiar to Ryan Bowen, who had a 7-8 year NBA Career.

The accompanying photo also shows Mr. Davis and Gary Close and was taken during the Purdue game, where our ass was handed to us. I wonder how tempting it would have been for Davis and Close to grab a clipboard?
He'd have had an NBA career. No doubt about it. He'd have continued improving his range on his jumper and had a nice long NBA stint.

I remember him in the 1992 NCAA'S jawing with Duke's Christian Laettner (the greatest college career I ever saw) as the opening possession of the game spilled out of bounds.

I remember January 19, 1993 like it was yesterday, but didn't catch the news right away. I was living in Dubuque at the time and the heat broke down in my apartment. Tired of freezing for the night, I went to bed early, cause I had a space heater set up for the bedroom and bathroom. So I missed all the ESPN cut-ins, etc. I found out in the paper the next morning, spending so much time staring at the headline I forgot to read the article. I worked at TCI cable at the time so access to ESPN would be readily available at work. I remember going to the headend, (receiving hub site) to scrape ice off the sattelite dishes wandering around in a daze for an hour and a half.

What blows my mind is that was almost 26 years ago. 40 and under posters would have been in middle School at best that day. 30 and under probably are too young to remember it. For Bohannon to preserve his legacy in any way possible without damaging the integrity of the game makes me proud to a Hawkeye fan.
I'm almost 39. BJ Armstrong, Marble, Hortons senior season in 89 was my first taste of Iowa hoops. Basketball I understood earlier and easier than football when I was 8-9 yrs old. So by the time Acie Earl, Street, Barnes and that gang came around I was all in and that was a sad sad time. Beating MSU right after was bitter sweet.

^This.

I enjoyed watching Christ Street play, and it was a tragedy that he died so young. I hope the best for his family, but I wish Bohannon would of tried to make the free throw. He might of missed if he had tried, but either way records are meant to be broken. It seems that his record has a stain of untruth on it. He was a great player.
I agree that records are made to be broken. And while I commented that I commend Jordan for keeping Streets name on the record books, yes it would have been cool to see how far he could have extended the streak. You have every right to wish he would have tried to make the free throw.

It's the "stain of untruth" comment that I'm not sure I agree with. I don't want to pile on what was already brought up ad nauseum in February, but it's too big a factor to ignore. Street's record was infinite, open ended, because it was ongoing at the time of his untimely death. He didn't get the chance to push it further and we will never know how long the streak would have kept going.

He'd have had an NBA career. No doubt about it. He'd have continued improving his range on his jumper and had a nice long NBA stint.
I've compared him to Ryan Bowen in the past. And I think he would have had a Bowen type NBA career. He would have been a monster his senior year after the graduation losses from the year before. And you may have seen a front line of James Winters, Street and Russ Millard with Jess Settles as the sixth man.

People often talk about the "it" factor, intangibles, leadership, etc etc. I've never seen player that had it more than Chris Street. He made everyone around him better. He was as genuine as person as you'll ever meet.

Opposing coaches all respected him...Bob Knight was a big Street fan, once saying something to the effect "I'd take a whole team of Chris Streets".

I think the oft overlooked part of his free throw record, was where he set it. Could you pick a tougher place to make big free throws than Cameron Indoor? I thought it quite poetic.

I was at one-Eyed Jakes when Chris' picture popped up on ESPN. Couldn't hear anything but wondered what had happened as the Hawks weren't playing that night. It became abundantly clear in short order. The whole place when quiet. It truly sucked.

Yeah of the 'modern' era no doubt. I mean maybe Lew Alcindor did. Maybe even the big red head did too at UCLA. But as far as since the 80s till now goes yeah Laettner was the man. (many thought Shaq should have gotten that dream team spot he did but as a college career achievement award goes Laettner should have gotten it and did)

Yeah of the 'modern' era no doubt. I mean maybe Lew Alcindor did. Maybe even the big red head did too at UCLA. But as far as since the 80s till now goes yeah Laettner was the man. (many thought Shaq should have gotten that dream team spot he did but as a college career achievement award goes Laettner should have gotten it and did)
Sorry, I was referring to JBo's integrity. "Click to expand".

I should have cut and paste. I am new to this technology. :)

People often talk about the "it" factor, intangibles, leadership, etc etc. I've never seen player that had it more than Chris Street. He made everyone around him better. He was as genuine as person as you'll ever meet.

Opposing coaches all respected him...Bob Knight was a big Street fan, once saying something to the effect "I'd take a whole team of Chris Streets".

I think the oft overlooked part of his free throw record, was where he set it. Could you pick a tougher place to make big free throws than Cameron Indoor? I thought it quite poetic.
Jud Heathcoate called Street "a coaches dream." Knight called the decision to retire Street's number when Iowa played Indiana as "one the biggest honors in his coaching career." Clem Haskins (then Minnesota) and Bill Foster (then Northwestern) showed up at funeral services in Indianola. Bottom line. He was respected well beyond the state borders.

I was on the road for my sales job watching college hoops in my hotel room When the news came across ESPN, one-by-one my college buddies started calling. I went to the sports bar next door just to be around other fans. I remember it like it was yesterday.

This is one my all time favorite Hawkeye pics. Says it all...

chris-street-640.jpg

Life is messy. We like to see it as predictable and safe. It isn't. If JB goes on a streak like that again I hope he misses earlier if deliberate or breaks it. Life moves on. You cant get it back. Records are made to be broken and life is messy. Chris was a great Hawk. So will some future Hawks be.

Great story by NPR.

As I've said in previous threads I used to collect every pre-season BBall and FBall magazine during that time period.
I remember Chris Street listed on prep all-american teams in both sports (QB in football IIRC) and getting really excited to see him starting for Tom Davis and Hayden Fry. Yes, I was naive. But this was back when Bo Jackson was fresh in everyone's head (and Iowa had recruited a 6'8" QB in Dan McGwire) and I wanted desperately for Iowa to have it's own version of Jackson. And this year, like every year for the last 30, I asked Santa for this ridiculous dream to come true. I should just grow up and realize it will never happen, but I'm so damn good at being immature I don't see that happening.

I was on the road for my sales job watching college hoops in my hotel room When the news came across ESPN, one-by-one my college buddies started calling. I went to the sports bar next door just to be around other fans. I remember it like it was yesterday.

This is one my all time favorite Hawkeye pics. Says it all...

chris-street-640.jpg

Ironically, that is the pic that always brings me to tears. You can literally see his love for the game and his love of life. It also reminds me of my older brother, who was hit by a car 10/7/70 and remained in a coma until he died 1/1/73.

That maudlin note aside, CMS40 was fun to watch in the TD "press". He would have had a very nice NBA career, and the respect shown by opponents and coaches that came to his funeral says more about him than anything. It's one thing when it happens during the offseason. This was DURING the season, yet coaches and, especially opponents, showed up in pretty big numbers.