Another informative article from Chad Leistikow

THE worst offense of the KF era, with the second worst being 2012. The only "non Davis" terrible year was '07 i believe.

Holy Crap, you literally could run 22 Dive and then fade bomb on every other damn play from scrimmage and probably do better than 119th.

THE worst offense of the KF era, with the second worst being 2012. The only "non Davis" terrible year was '07 i believe.

Holy Crap, you literally could run 22 Dive and then fade bomb on every other damn play from scrimmage and probably do better than 119th.

Another way to look at is that KF is getting more conservative with age. I'm sure GD doesn't operate in a vacuum.

Thanks for posting. I love seeing the numbers behind the numbers kind of analysis. The punting stats are huge and absolutely say a lot. Field position is as big of a thing as any. It's one of the things KF writes on his pad is where they take over on every possession.
It's almost remarkable at how Iowa was able to win how they did. You factor in how bad the offense overall was with the lack of converting 3rd downs and they just absolutely had to not turn it over much and convert in the redzone to win like they did. If Iowa had bad special teams in the punting department or turned it over more at all it could have been pretty ugly(er)

Leistikow is about as good as it gets.

No offense could be worse than that 2012 stink bomb. That was a nightmare.

I actually thought we had it rolling until Vandeberg and Kittle went down. Those were game-changers.

I think 8-4 was a pretty miraculous record, considering the injuries/lack of offense. I give all the credit to the seniors and the coaching staff for bringing this team together after the ND St fiasco

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ing-season-kirk-ferentz-cj-beathard/94619744/

One really good reporter/journalist. Enjoyed reading his stuff all year. Likes to analyze the numbers.

Couple of things. Hawks only gave up two fumbles all year. Tied for best in FBS.
Our total offense ranked 119 out of 128. One of the worst in Ferentz era.

Interesting note related to the fumbles. There were 26 fumbles that hit the ground during Iowa games this year (per the article; I am not sure how many were coughed up by Iowa, and how many by their opponents). Iowa recovered 17 of them (73%). Leistikow chalks this up to great hustle by the Hawks, but I believe most data indicates that while preventing offensive fumbles and creating fumbles as a defense both involve measures of skill, once that ball hits the ground it is about a 50/50 proposition who gets it (determined by the luck of the bounce of an oblong ball, not by any skill a team possesses). What this probably means is that Iowa was a bit lucky on their road to 8-4 this year (i.e. record may have been a little better than the team).

Interesting note related to the fumbles. There were 26 fumbles that hit the ground during Iowa games this year (per the article; I am not sure how many were coughed up by Iowa, and how many by their opponents). Iowa recovered 17 of them (73%). Leistikow chalks this up to great hustle by the Hawks, but I believe most data indicates that while preventing offensive fumbles and creating fumbles as a defense both involve measures of skill, once that ball hits the ground it is about a 50/50 proposition who gets it (determined by the luck of the bounce of an oblong ball, not by any skill a team possesses). What this probably means is that Iowa was a bit lucky on their road to 8-4 this year (i.e. record may have been a little better than the team).

King had a couple of skilled recoveries on punt return. I agree tho it's mostly luck. I'm pretty sure two years ago our opponents got an abnormal percentage of recoveries.

King had a couple of skilled recoveries on punt return. I agree tho it's mostly luck. I'm pretty sure two years ago our opponents got an abnormal percentage of recoveries.

Phil Steele agrees with you. He does an analysis every year on turnover margin....teams that have a positive turnover one year many times go negative in the following year. He says there is a "luck" factor in turnovers and close games. Since Iowa plays so many darn close games, maybe that explains the tendency of Ferentz teams to wildly fluctuate between 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 and occasionally even better. I'm starting to think that 7-5 is a "neutral" season for Ferentz, and the record is better in years when Ferentz is luckier with turnovers, like this year and especially last year.

Phil Steele agrees with you. He does an analysis every year on turnover margin....teams that have a positive turnover one year many times go negative in the following year. He says there is a "luck" factor in turnovers and close games. Since Iowa plays so many darn close games, maybe that explains the tendency of Ferentz teams to wildly fluctuate between 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 and occasionally even better. I'm starting to think that 7-5 is a "neutral" season for Ferentz, and the record is better in years when Ferentz is luckier with turnovers, like this year and especially last year.
Luck equal opportunity plus preparation.

........and for DSM Register readers we know Leistikow as the opposite of Randy Peterson (ISU reporter). One reports factually and candidly, the other consistently patronizes and brown noses his assigned program. I often wonder which program is winning and which is struggling with their respective football programs when comparing the tone of their articles at times.

........and for DSM Register readers we know Leistikow as the opposite of Randy Peterson (ISU reporter). One reports factually and candidly, the other consistently patronizes and brown noses his assigned program. I often wonder which program is winning and which is struggling with their respective football programs when comparing the tone of their articles at times.

Newspapers are dying. Take consolation in knowing his future career is as a blogger.

Leistikow, mark emmert and morehouse are all very good. Really enjoy reading all their takes. I live 1300 miles from IC so I read all of there articles and follow them on twitter.

ohhawk nailed it. Leistikow (like Randy Brown before him) is a credible, highly professional sports reporter who doesn't get carried away with excessive plaudits and exaggerations. He is indeed the exact opposite of Randy Peterson, the hyperventilating ISU fan who wears a cheerleading skirt every time he sits down to write a paragraph.

Latest posts