Another BTN Program Idea

nickhawk

Adding on to my wish list of future BTN programming, I think it would be a great idea to produce “Best of Features†for each school in the Big 10. For example, instead of endlessly replaying the same “Best QB’s of the 2000’s†feature, BTN should produce a “Best of Iowa Series†for Football and Basketball for each of the last 3 decades. They wouldn’t even have to do a top 10 list. BTN could easily do a top 5 list and make 30 minutes programs for the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s for each Big 10 program for both Football and Basketball.

As an example, here is how my “Best of Iowa Football†picks would look like if I had to pick my top 5 impact players from each decade of the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s.

Best of the 80’s Iowa Football:
1. Chuck Long
2. Ronnie Harmon
3. Chuck Hartlieb
4. Larry Station
5. Marv Cook

Best of the 90’s Iowa Football
1. Tim Dwight
2. Sedrick Shaw
3. Tavian Banks
4. Jared DeVries
5. Nick Bell

Best of the 2000’s Iowa Football
1. Bob Sanders
2. Brad Banks
3. Shonn Greene
4. Dallas Clark
5. Chad Greenway

There could be great debate about choosing the players to represent the “Best of†lists, but the premise of the idea for the program is one that I think would be greatly enjoyed by any of the Big 10 University’s fans.

Here are some the Honorable Mention names from each decade that didn’t even make my lists:

80’s: Andre Tippett, Reggie Roby, Quinn Early
90’s: Danan Hughes, Leroy Smith, Merton Hanks, Mike Wells, Aaron Kampman
00’s: Matt Roth, Marvin McNutt, Adrian Clayborn, Pat Angerer, Ricki Stanzi

I support this idea and any idea that excludes all of those useless non Iowa programs. Iowa top 10s would be amazing!

Hey nickhawk and Hawknick, while I love the idea of 23 hours a day of Iowa programming on BTN (it would still be inferior to what the Cyclones get on CycloneTV), producing any content actually costs money (it is an expense).

Revenue - expenses = profit

By increasing expenses, profit will go down because revenue is fixed. No new subscribers will be added. BTN is just there to show games.

I get that BTN is primarily an outlet to view games. That is fine. I'm talking about actually producing new content to replace the constantly repeated drivel they show over and over again. I never said this had to be made exclusively for Iowa. Read my post - I specifically said this type of Best Of series could be made for each Big 10 School - and skip including Rutgers or Maryland until they have at least 5 years in the league. I personally think every school's fan base would enjoy this type of series.

As far as money goes, the BTN is swimming in money and no one can convince me otherwise. Hell, hire me to put this series together and I'll do the Hawkeye feature for some free McDonald's and a couple free cans of Barbosol!!! Seriously BTN call me and let's make this happen.

I was brainstorming ideas about this problem that about 95% of the time the btn shows programs that don't matter about teams that don't matter. This means that myself and a lot of other people that don't like change the channel.

My solution is regional btn channels. I think fox sports also has regional channels. So we would all have available to us a btnIA channel, and people that live elsewhere could the team in their region. This would increase audience, more audience equals more revenue.

The BTN exists to extort your cable provider for $60 a year. It does not exists to entertain you. Like Okeefe4Prez said, producing new content costs money, and they don't need to produce content to make money. In essence, it's better for Iowa that the BTN show nothing except an Indian, because people will still pay for it, but the profit for the league is higher.

Love your 80"s list but I'd put Andre Tippett in the top 3 of that group. He was a wrecking machine out of the LT mold. One of the best players I've seen in a Hawkeye uniform at his position.

How about a top 5 70s list also. Some good candidates would be:
Craig Clemons
Levi Mitchell
Rob Fick
Jim Jensen
Jim Swift
Rod Walters
Dennis Mosley
Jon Lazar

Latest posts