Andy Katz visits with Fran

"who's turn is it to play defense?"

- Iowa Basketball 2017-18

mixedgifs3.gif

Ok...I'm kind of in football mode right now...but I ventured over here. I read the article. How in the hell is Fran still employed. "I had to get buy in"...what? You run the program...if you didn't have buy in...the player shouldn't be here...period. I'm embarrassed by those comments...for Fran.

This seems like, "ok, we will now focus on what everyone is talking about...defense." Strange article if you ask me.

Ok...I'm kind of in football mode right now...but I ventured over here. I read the article. How in the hell is Fran still employed. "I had to get buy in"...what? You run the program...if you didn't have buy in...the player shouldn't be here...period. I'm embarrassed by those comments...for Fran.

This seems like, "ok, we will now focus on what everyone is talking about...defense." Strange article if you ask me.

embarrassing or not, he obviously had a "buy in" problem last season. I don't think it can be argued.

He has a “buy in” problem with me that is for sure. The only way I begin to “buy in” to Fran is a NCAA appearance, and get some non fall back recruits.

Right there with ya - I am excited for the season, but they are in big prove it mode to me. If we see shit like last season, I am out.

Right there with ya - I am excited for the season, but they are in big prove it mode to me. If we see shit like last season, I am out.

Well I am already out, because I don't think Fran can get it done. Too long for too few of results so far makes me believe he can't do it here. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but sadly I have no faith in him leading the program right now.

IMO. We don't have to play great defense. We don't have to play good defense. We just have to play average defense to have a good season and make the NCAA Tournament. If we play better than average defense then a top 3 Big 10 finish and appearance in the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament are attainable.

IMO. We don't have to play great defense. We don't have to play good defense. We just have to play average defense to have a good season and make the NCAA Tournament. If we play better than average defense then a top 3 Big 10 finish and appearance in the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament are attainable.

I don't disagree. Heck that is all we needed last year as well. The question is can Fran get it done?

Well I am already out, because I don't think Fran can get it done. Too long for too few of results so far makes me believe he can't do it here. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but sadly I have no faith in him leading the program right now.

yeah, he didn't completely lose me after one really bad season. I liked every where the program was heading up until last year. His results haven't been good enough for me either, but up until last year (yes, I know we missed the NCAA 2 years ago by 1 game, but IMO, with the roster turnover we had that was acceptable and understandable, they exceeded my expectations IMO) he was trending upwards. I will give him a season to prove that it was an aberration.

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

He has a “buy in” problem with me that is for sure. The only way I begin to “buy in” to Fran is a NCAA appearance, and get some non fall back recruits.
This isn't directed at you specifically Dean but many. What is a fall back recruit? If we recruit 5 guys at a position and the 1st four go elsewhere and we get the 5th guy that's not a fall back recruit IMO. We liked the other 4 guys but we also liked the guy we got. If we don't get the 5th guy and start looking around to find someone with some "potential" then we are on a fall back recruit. There are very few programs outside of the "Blue Bloods" that get their top choice consistently.

Last edited:
yeah, he didn't completely lose me after one really bad season. I liked every where the program was heading up until last year. His results haven't been good enough for me either, but up until last year (yes, I know we missed the NCAA 2 years ago by 1 game, but IMO, with the roster turnover we had that was acceptable and understandable, they exceeded my expectations IMO) he was trending upwards. I will give him a season to prove that it was an aberration.
I also think it was an aberration. And it's not that shocking that a bunch of true freshmen that have a pretty good season both individually and as a team only half listen to what the coach keeps trying to tell them going into their sophomore season. I have a hunch winning 4 conference games may have them listening better.

Side Note - I think the recruiting has improved significantly the last 2 or 3 years...getting guys like Cook and Garza to sign. And Fran has always been able to evaluate talent. Recruiting doesn't really worry me at all.

I don't disagree. Heck that is all we needed last year as well. The question is can Fran get it done?
I think we agree that Fran isn't a defensive guru...realistically a below average defensive coach. But I put last year on the players...youth and thinking they could get by outscoring people since it seemed to work their freshman year. Well that outscoring thing didn't work.

This isn't directed at you specifically Dean but many. What is a fall back recruit? If we recruit 5 guys at a position and the 1st four go elsewhere and we get the 5th guy that's not a fall back recruit IMO. We liked the other 4 guys but we also liked the guy we got. If we don't get the 5th guy and start looking around to find someone with some "potential" then we are on a fall back recruit. There are very few programs outside of the "Blue Bloods" that get their top choice consistently.

To me a fallback recruit is whatever PG we get this year. We spent a lot of time recruiting other higher rated guys who all went to other schools or eliminated Iowa. These 3 guys coming in for visits are the very definition of "fall back" to me. Now that said, that doesn't mean than can't be good, but the point is Fran and staff all wanted other players much more than these guys, but just couldn't get them.

Fran's biggest problem recruiting is he's too good at evaluating talent early. He keeps getting in early on players who end up getting too good and become too good for Iowa. I'm half joking here but I'm half serious too. It does seem to bite him a lot.

If you're eventually competing with Patriot league schools for 200+ ranked recruit... it is a fall back recruit.