Anbody Else Wonder How Iowa Score So Much In Games?

MelroseHawkins

I tell ya, Iowa scores the quietest 85-90 pts in games, it seems. You watch them and it doesn't seem like the points are adding up that fast. Now granted, last night both teams were hitting shots each time down the floor a few times. But, there are games where it just seems like they are kind of struggling and you look and they have 80 pts with several minutes left.

What is it? Is it the transition game getting some occasional easy shots along with more shots in a game? Is it Fran's specific system? It must be as they have led or been the top of the conference in scoring for several years.

Sometimes it just leaves me shaking my head. I also think there are more scorers on the court than in previous decades. There are at least 4 really good perimeter shooters who are decent and 5's that will pop a 3 if open.

I think it's Fran's system at this point, scoring has never seemed like an issue. Defense not so much, but that's typically the case with most coaches, they are strong on one side or the other. Give me a scoring system all day every day.

Ya know what else is something that all of Fran's teams do that I believe is systemic? Getting to the free throw line. Like, how are we always in the bonus in every game at the end of halves? It seems like we're ALWAYS at the line.

every year

this year

Iowa has made 69 more free throws (280) than their opponents have attempted (211).

Is that because of how we play up tempo? Are we going to the post and rim more than other teams? I am just curious because to me, it seems like a right of passage that Iowa closes every game with a ton of FT's.

Its just the way the game is now. Then about in the 80s. Can you imagine Stokes or Payne even trying a 3?

Now, its actually pretty normal to have 4 guys that can shoot the 3, and the analytics say that shooting more 3s works. Refs don't allow as much hand checking so there is just freedom of movement and spacing. It leads to shots and even when you miss a long one you can get a rebound.

It also helps the offense that our defense is usually pretty bad. Leads to more oppportunities. Its the opposite of KF's philosophy.

Ya know what else is something that all of Fran's teams do that I believe is systemic? Getting to the free throw line. Like, how are we always in the bonus in every game at the end of halves? It seems like we're ALWAYS at the line.

every year

this year

Iowa has made 69 more free throws (280) than their opponents have attempted (211).

Is that because of how we play up tempo? Are we going to the post and rim more than other teams? I am just curious because to me, it seems like a right of passage that Iowa closes every game with a ton of FT's.
Great point. His teams pass, usually shoot well, and know how to draw fouls

I tell ya, Iowa scores the quietest 85-90 pts in games, it seems. You watch them and it doesn't seem like the points are adding up that fast. Now granted, last night both teams were hitting shots each time down the floor a few times. But, there are games where it just seems like they are kind of struggling and you look and they have 80 pts with several minutes left.

What is it? Is it the transition game getting some occasional easy shots along with more shots in a game? Is it Fran's specific system? It must be as they have led or been the top of the conference in scoring for several years.

Sometimes it just leaves me shaking my head. I also think there are more scorers on the court than in previous decades. There are at least 4 really good perimeter shooters who are decent and 5's that will pop a 3 if open.
1673651492916.png

Fran is a good offensive coach...

we move the ball well -typically have multiple shooters.. we are great at getting to the Line.

We also have the best inbound plays year in and year out.

Its just the way the game is now. Then about in the 80s. Can you imagine Stokes or Payne even trying a 3?

Now, its actually pretty normal to have 4 guys that can shoot the 3, and the analytics say that shooting more 3s works. Refs don't allow as much hand checking so there is just freedom of movement and spacing. It leads to shots and even when you miss a long one you can get a rebound.

It also helps the offense that our defense is usually pretty bad. Leads to more oppportunities. Its the opposite of KF's philosophy.
Payne...yes

Bt The Way:

The Athletic has us Number 10 in the West Region [Sacramento]

Keegan just might watch the games

team-logo-263-50x50.png
Alabama*
team-logo-349-50x50.png
Eastern Washington*
Birmingham
team-logo-312-50x50.png
NC State
team-logo-408-50x50.png
Charleston*
4Marquette
team-logo-627-50x50.png
Utah Valley*
Albany
5TCU
team-logo-1024-50x50.png
Oral Roberts*
3Texas
team-logo-395-50x50.png
UC Irvine*
Denver
team-logo-240-50x50.png
San Diego State*
11Pittsburgh
2Arizona
team-logo-295-50x50.png
UMass-Lowell*
Sacramento
7Saint Mary's
10Iowa

KenPom numbers:

AdjO: 9th
AdjT: 50th

Those numbers really do explain it. When Iowa is clicking on offense it is a thing of beauty. It is all ball movement and spacing. They don't use a ton of iso ball or ball screens to get shots up and get shots up quickly.

Iowa will get a lot of possessions, which will allow them to score a lot of points, but in turn means they give up a lot of possessions to the opponent, so the defensive numbers will never be stellar. That being said, that's not an excuse for the defensive effort against Eastern Illinois, Michigan or some of Frans' teams in the past.

Last edited:
KenPom numbers:

AdjO: 9th
AdjT: 50th

Those numbers really do explain it. When Iowa is clicking on offense it is a thing of beauty. It is all ball movement and spacing. They don't use a ton of iso ball or ball screens to get shots up and get shots up quickly.

Iowa will get a lot of possessions, which will allow them to score a lot of points, but in turn means they give up a lot of possessions to the opponent, so the defensive numbers will never be stellar. That being said, that's not an excuse for the defensive effort against Eastern Illinois, Michigan or some of Frans' teams in the past.

This makes a lot of sense. More possessions. Explains why they play games where both teams are in the 80's or 90's. That Michigan game was just a fun and entertaining game to watch.

They always outlet as far and as fast up the floor as possible, whether after a FGM or Def Reb.
They usually have a low number of turnovers, therefore more chances to score/possession.
Quick pace gives them a couple easy hoops every half, wears teams out later in the half, leads to more fouling by opponent.
Players develop and know what they can and can't do, which leads to better team shooting %'s.

All these lead to more points. Game v. MLand perfect example: 2 halves of 40ish-33ish score.

Overall it's Frans system and having players that can play it. Breaking it down I'd say it's the fact that they play uptempo and have lots of possessions. Factor in taking care of the ball and not turning it over excessively and shooting good %s from both the field and FT line and the points will add up. On the nights we shoot well from 3 we can excel.

This makes a lot of sense. More possessions. Explains why they play games where both teams are in the 80's or 90's. That Michigan game was just a fun and entertaining game to watch.
That had to frustrate Michigan so much. They shot a ridiculous % overall and from 3 that game. To be that hot for most of a game and lose has to be so frustrating. Felt like they had control of the game for most of it but Sandfort the last couple mins took over and said you want to see hot I'll show you hot. That's what our system can kinda do. Keeps us in games that we almost shouldn't have any business being in. Most teams get blown out against that Michigan team when they shoot like that.

We've also seen what happens when we shoot poorly though... Hoops is a make or miss game at it's core. The more you shoot the more you make the better chance you have to win

They always outlet as far and as fast up the floor as possible, whether after a FGM or Def Reb.
They usually have a low number of turnovers, therefore more chances to score/possession.
Quick pace gives them a couple easy hoops every half, wears teams out later in the half, leads to more fouling by opponent.
Players develop and know what they can and can't do, which leads to better team shooting %'s.

All these lead to more points. Game v. MLand perfect example: 2 halves of 40ish-33ish score.

Add into what you point out which are great points, they also seem to be rebounding much better and not losing that battle by 15 rebounds a game. Those extra possessions, even if you shoot 35% can account for a number of points. This used to be what kept opponents in games with Iowa or why they ended up beating Iowa.

It's all about extra possessions between rebounding and limiting turnovers.

That had to frustrate Michigan so much. They shot a ridiculous % overall and from 3 that game. To be that hot for most of a game and lose has to be so frustrating. Felt like they had control of the game for most of it but Sandfort the last couple mins took over and said you want to see hot I'll show you hot. That's what our system can kinda do. Keeps us in games that we almost shouldn't have any business being in. Most teams get blown out against that Michigan team when they shoot like that.

We've also seen what happens when we shoot poorly though... Hoops is a make or miss game at it's core. The more you shoot the more you make the better chance you have to win

I looked at the stats of that game. All stats were pretty equal besides Iowa's huge FT advantage. That was the outlier of that game.