Analyzing Iowa Football's Recent History with '20 Opponents

I think Iowa could win or lose the WI game ... you can have all your stats and realism you want but this season aint probably gonna be just like all the rest. Some teams are gonna handle the Rona better than others. Some have taken their foot off the pedal. Some might not play all their games. Some might have more injuries, some might have more opt out as the season goes, some might lose players due to Covid. It's at home and with this season, considering the circumstances that are in our present world... saying Iowa will win or lose the West - either take could be right, no one has a clue. First season in a pandemic and such.

You gotta try harder if you're gonna bait me into conversation. Put some effort in at least.

Did you get the "you have a lot of potential if you'd just quit being lazy" speech growing up?

You guys should get a private room or something and continue your discussion.

I think Iowa could win or lose the WI game ... you can have all your stats and realism you want but this season aint probably gonna be just like all the rest. Some teams are gonna handle the Rona better than others. Some have taken their foot off the pedal. Some might not play all their games. Some might have more injuries, some might have more opt out as the season goes, some might lose players due to Covid. It's at home and with this season, considering the circumstances that are in our present world... saying Iowa will win or lose the West - either take could be right, no one has a clue. First season in a pandemic and such.
We have to see if the season even gets that far first.

We have to see if the season even gets that far first.
exactly - trends and tendencies IMO are off this season. Iowa has owned Minnesota for some time. That doesn't really mean shit this season and considering all the circumstances revolving this season, imo it means even less. No fans, no home field advantages? How do they travel? Are they able to practice at full during the week? The ebb and flow of this season is going to be completely different than ANY other season before it. What does playing B1G caliber opponents RIGHT out of the gate do for a team? Are there more key injuries because of the shortened prep time like the NFL is facing already in week 2 without a pre-season? There are no bye weeks? Iowa typically used those bye weeks pretty well in the past, now there is none. How will the team respond? I would say that whatever notion you have of this season, go ahead and trash it cause no one knows what the hell is gonna happen and while you can say that about every season, it really should ring true this year with our world's current events.

exactly - trends and tendencies IMO are off this season. Iowa has owned Minnesota for some time. That doesn't really mean shit this season and considering all the circumstances revolving this season, imo it means even less. No fans, no home field advantages? How do they travel? Are they able to practice at full during the week? The ebb and flow of this season is going to be completely different than ANY other season before it. What does playing B1G caliber opponents RIGHT out of the gate do for a team? Are there more key injuries because of the shortened prep time like the NFL is facing already in week 2 without a pre-season? There are no bye weeks? Iowa typically used those bye weeks pretty well in the past, now there is none. How will the team respond? I would say that whatever notion you have of this season, go ahead and trash it cause no one knows what the hell is gonna happen and while you can say that about every season, it really should ring true this year with our worlds current events.
I do think that the Wisconsin matchup goes deeper than say, a Minnesota, though.

Alvarez is a proven genius when it comes to football, and he knows how to run a program and develop players. Their recruiting budget is the lowest in the league, and their recruiting classes, while good, are almost always within a spot or two of halfway down the B1G. What that says is that they are good at finding rough talent and making it better. I also think the history is relevant. Whatever it is between the two teams they have figured out our run defense, and we can't adapt to the 3-4. They simply make waaaay more first downs than we do, and that's naturally going to lead to more scoring. It also allows a team to play more conservatively and keep the ball on the ground instead of taking risks in the air or by having to make chunk plays. It's definitely chicken or the egg, but it doesn't matter which one; they are the more fundamentally sound and talented team on paper and in practice and they have been for long enough that it's not a 50/50 toss up anymore.

I do agree that things are different with COVID and that every year is a new one, but with the talent we've lost on defense and having to fight the 3-4 (and failing over the past 7 years, a big enough sample size) it's got us painted in a corner. I loathe Nebraska and I hate Pajama Fleck, but the Wisconsin logo and the Heartland Trophy should be the last thing every Hawkeye player and coach thinks about before bed at night. Forget about Neb/MN, forget about PSU and OSU, and even Michigan. As long as there is an East/West division with Iowa and Wisconsin, that's the barrier that needs to get broken down before even thinking about those other teams.

Consider this...

Below is the SOS and average finishing place for the West teams since the divisions were started. Iowa has had the second easiest schedule over that period of time and Wisconsin has had the second hardest (and just barely second). Looking at the average finish Wisconsin is clearly the highest performing squad in the West, and you can see they are also by far the most consistent. I like that Iowa is 2nd in the avg finishing place, don't get me wrong, but the gist of this is that Wisconsin rises up to the top despite the much tougher schedules where Iowa tends not to. They have the tougher road and still dominate. 2nd best is good, but in a sport that requires you to win your division to advance, it's horseshoes and hand grenades. Close isn't good enough.

And I understand there are fans ok with perpetual "good enough." This season especially I couldn't care less myself. But if the Hawks want to take the next step people need to worry about the real obstacle in the way and that's Wisconsin. Not Minnesota and not any of the East Teams. Worry about beating OSU and PSU after you've got Wisconsin figured out. Until someone proves that Iowa can at the very least go 50/50 over a time period with the Badgers this monkey's staying on their back.

Capture.jpg

I do think that the Wisconsin matchup goes deeper than say, a Minnesota, though.

Alvarez is a proven genius when it comes to football, and he knows how to run a program and develop players. Their recruiting budget is the lowest in the league, and their recruiting classes, while good, are almost always within a spot or two of halfway down the B1G. What that says is that they are good at finding rough talent and making it better. I also think the history is relevant. Whatever it is between the two teams they have figured out our run defense, and we can't adapt to the 3-4. They simply make waaaay more first downs than we do, and that's naturally going to lead to more scoring. It also allows a team to play more conservatively and keep the ball on the ground instead of taking risks in the air or by having to make chunk plays. It's definitely chicken or the egg, but it doesn't matter which one; they are the more fundamentally sound and talented team on paper and in practice and they have been for long enough that it's not a 50/50 toss up anymore.

I do agree that things are different with COVID and that every year is a new one, but with the talent we've lost on defense and having to fight the 3-4 (and failing over the past 7 years, a big enough sample size) it's got us painted in a corner. I loathe Nebraska and I hate Pajama Fleck, but the Wisconsin logo and the Heartland Trophy should be the last thing every Hawkeye player and coach thinks about before bed at night. Forget about Neb/MN, forget about PSU and OSU, and even Michigan. As long as there is an East/West division with Iowa and Wisconsin, that's the barrier that needs to get broken down before even thinking about those other teams.

Consider this...

Below is the SOS and average finishing place for the West teams since the divisions were started. Iowa has had the second easiest schedule over that period of time and Wisconsin has had the second hardest (and just barely second). Looking at the average finish Wisconsin is clearly the highest performing squad in the West, and you can see they are also by far the most consistent. I like that Iowa is 2nd in the avg finishing place, don't get me wrong, but the gist of this is that Wisconsin rises up to the top despite the much tougher schedules where Iowa tends not to. They have the tougher road and still dominate. 2nd best is good, but in a sport that requires you to win your division to advance, it's horseshoes and hand grenades. Close isn't good enough.

And I understand there are fans ok with perpetual "good enough." This season especially I couldn't care less myself. But if the Hawks want to take the next step people need to worry about the real obstacle in the way and that's Wisconsin. Not Minnesota and not any of the East Teams. Worry about beating OSU and PSU after you've got Wisconsin figured out. Until someone proves that Iowa can at the very least go 50/50 over a time period with the Badgers this monkey's staying on their back.

Capture.jpg

You really think you needed all that to convince me that WI is the far superior program, cause I wasn't arguing that nor would I. They are, it's been proven time and time again. I said all bets are off with trends and history this season cause there are a lot of variables that are in the way of what a normal season would look like. That's also true. With that in mind, I think it's fairly appropriate to say "who knows" with this year, with the circumstances, it really might be Iowa's season to buck things... it might not be either. No idea. I don't think recent history matters all that much in a pandemic year.

You really think you needed all that to convince me that WI is the far superior program, cause I wasn't arguing that nor would I.
No.

But there are more than a handful here who think Iowa is just as solid of a program and they only lose because of a mistake here or there or one play. It goes way deeper than that and my post was to demonstrate it. Pandemic will have an effect, yes, but this is not a 50/50 game that some people are making it out to be.

No spring practice, no spring scrimmage, interruptions in this fall camp, seasons on, seasons off, you've lost this player, now this player is coming back. To pretend anyone has any idea what's gonna happen in this kind of year? Yeah no one has any idea, but it's fun to talk about. I agree tho to be the man ya gotta beat the man and Iowa just hasn't beaten WI with any consistency to confidently say they beat em this year... but I wouldn't rule it out, mostly because no one has any idea how these teams are going to respond in a season and off season of anything but normal.

To pretend anyone has any idea what's gonna happen in this kind of year?

Variability is the reason NCAA football and the NCAA hoops tournament are the #2 and #3 sports brands in the United States, second only to the NFL. It's moments like South Carolina (behind their backup QB) beating Georgia at home last year and Iowa shit-trucking Ohio State 55-24 (let me say it again for those in the back 55-24) that make college football so popular. Everyone loves a good upset so long as it isn't their team getting skullfucked by North Dakota State or Western Michigan (or Northwestern State in basketball).

FWIW I have Iowa 5-3 this season and losing to Purdue, PSU and WI. But again, I have NO idea .... lots of things could work in Iowa's favor or against them as this season unfolds. I just have no clue cause I don't know how motivated or in sync teams are with this crazy year.

some teams might be really motivated to not get the Rona as this season unfolds, other teams might not be. One program might have kids who all stay home and not go out and party and other schools might have guys who just go out every night like any other year. The testing don't care, if you got it, you're out. What time of year you catch a team might really matter. I think you will see weird fluctuations in a teams week to week performances. I don't know that we're gonna see WI of old or hell, even Iowa, who is typically a very good fundamental team - with tackling and penalties and such, could be completely out of sorts. The only thing I expect this year is that I imagine it's all gonna be kind of crazy.

FWIW I have Iowa 5-3 this season and losing to Purdue, PSU and WI. But again, I have NO idea .... lots of things could work in Iowa's favor or against them as this season unfolds. I just have no clue cause I don't know how motivated or in sync teams are with this crazy year.
That was my prediction as well. We had a chance before Moore said he was coming back and Brohm is good when he has the players.

F PJ Fleck. We ain't losing to that bald boat-rowin' bitch face. He got lucky with his cinderella season and the ghost of Nate Stanley is gonna haunt that a-hole forever.

some teams might be really motivated to not get the Rona as this season unfolds, other teams might not be. One program might have kids who all stay home and not go out and party and other schools might have guys who just go out every night like any other year. The testing don't care, if you got it, you're out. What time of year you catch a team might really matter. I think you will see weird fluctuations in a teams week to week performances. I don't know that we're gonna see WI of old or hell, even Iowa, who is typically a very good fundamental team - with tackling and penalties and such, could be completely out of sorts. The only thing I expect this year is that I imagine it's all gonna be kind of crazy.

Please stop, Good! I am already so confused by the future of this FB season that my head hurts all the time. I am old and cannot handle the stress. Thanks...

Some good discussion here. It is going to be a crazy and unpredictable season. FWIW, I think getting Purdue the first game of the year works in our favor. Offense tends to take longer to smooth out the wrinkles than defense. And we'll have to hope our offense is up to the task against their defense.

Some good discussion here. It is going to be a crazy and unpredictable season. FWIW, I think getting Purdue the first game of the year works in our favor. Offense tends to take longer to smooth out the wrinkles than defense. And we'll have to hope our offense is up to the task against their defense.

Yeah, when I think of well oiled machines, Iowa's offense in the first 3 weeks of the season is definitely at the top of the list of things on my mind, especially when we have a new QB.

Yeah, when I think of well oiled machines, Iowa's offense in the first 3 weeks of the season is definitely at the top of the list of things on my mind, especially when we have a new QB.
I don't disagree but we aren't exactly going against the '85 Bears defense either.

You gotta try harder if you're gonna bait me into conversation. Put some effort in at least.

Did you get the "you have a lot of potential if you'd just quit being lazy" speech growing up?

I'll grant it....you are consistent.

Let me translate that for everyone...,

“Let’s tell Fryowa he’s wrong because he looks at statistics and and trends instead of being hopeful and just having faith...”

Sounds about right.[/QUOTE

wrong translation as i now understand you have never seen a big upset in college football or any other sportb

Variability is the reason NCAA football and the NCAA hoops tournament are the #2 and #3 sports brands in the United States, second only to the NFL. It's moments like South Carolina (behind their backup QB) beating Georgia at home last year and Iowa shit-trucking Ohio State 55-24 (let me say it again for those in the back 55-24) that make college football so popular. Everyone loves a good upset so long as it isn't their team getting skullfucked by North Dakota State or Western Michigan (or Northwestern State in basketball).

a perfect description of the unknowns in sport. Some people as in Fryiowa think the outcome is kmown ahead of time in the stars.

Iowa beating wisky at wisky in 2015 is a perfect example as wisky made most all the mistakes and the hawk dee was stellar.

Latest posts