An Inconsiderate Truth

ThunderHawk

We will never contend for a national championship with Ken O'Keefe calling plays and the defense playing the bend and then break against teams who are willing to bend it and break it.

If I were paid 3.5 million dollars per I'd hire some guys who could address those situations.

Alas...

Hell, I'm not sure we'd contend as long as KF is the coach. His philosophies aren't conducive to it.

I sometimes just don't understand the playcalling. 3rd and short, and we throw a long, low percentage pass that results in a 4th down and a punt. 3rd and 10 when we need to look downfield a little bit, then we throw the little dump off pass that results in a 5 yard gain, and a punt. Down 4 with a minute to go and need 80 yards for a TD, and we just keep throwing the little dump off stuff.

The defense, typically very good, has not been able to get a stop THIS YEAR when it's late in the game, and the other team is trying to throw down the gauntlet. We have been surrending late-game TD drives at a disturbing rate this year. Same thing just about happened at Indiana last week, except they dropped a game winning TD.

I'm sure if you think you can do better, Barta would be happy to take your resume and game results.

KOK and Norm are good for what Ferentz wants on his staff. It's easy to sit here after a loss and blame. We got beat today because we got out hustled on the field not because of blown play calling. Even the worst play calls can look like the best by way of great execusion, just as the best play calls can turn to crap.

I'm sure if you think you can do better, Barta would be happy to take your resume and game results.

KOK and Norm are good for what Ferentz wants on his staff. It's easy to sit here after a loss and blame. We got beat today because we got out hustled on the field not because of blown play calling. Even the worst play calls can look like the best by way of great execusion, just as the best play calls can turn to crap.

Indeed. So ultimately it's his fault.

The final drive was a case study of KOK depravity.

I disagree. We were beaten today because NW knew exactly what we were going to do on both O and D, and simply played to the skript. They just outlasted our one-dimensional, uncreative play.

In 5 years when we look at how many of these players are playing on Sundays we will realize even more how the weaknesses of our coaching staff cause our team to underachieve.

We underachieved as a coaching staff in 2002 and have underachieved as a coaching staff ever since.

We underachieved as a coaching staff in 2002 and have underachieved as a coaching staff ever since.

That may be a little harsh.. Do you think last year was underachieving? That team really had to dodge a few bullets, and could easily have been a 5-loss team. 2004 was pretty good considering we were down to something like our 6th string RB and were a completely 1-dimensional offense.

But there have been other years that have been disappointing.. This year is turning into one of them. We have enough talent to be better than a 3-4+ loss team this year.

Sad to say but I think new coordinators on both sides of the ball is needed. Everyone knows exactly what we will do and we are not good enought to overcome that.

VintageHawkeye - I agree with you. We are so routine and scripted that is a large part of the problem. NW will continue to eat our lunch until we get a little crazy and mix things up a bit. I now it's hard to fathom to KOK and the gang but that is what it will take!

That may be a little harsh.. Do you think last year was underachieving? That team really had to dodge a few bullets, and could easily have been a 5-loss team. 2004 was pretty good considering we were down to something like our 6th string RB and were a completely 1-dimensional offense.

But there have been other years that have been disappointing.. This year is turning into one of them. We have enough talent to be better than a 3-4+ loss team this year.

Maybe my comment is a little harsh, but maybe not. Look at who we had on that team and tell me if those games should have been that close. I'm willing to bet i'm in the meatier part of the bell curve with many others who also believe we underachieved that year. We should have been blowing opponents out if you look at all the talent on that squad.

3.5 million to get beat by NW and almost by Indy is not worth it as far as I'm concerned. Looks like Miller will be doing the bowl picks again. Didn't want to go to the Sugar anyway

The defense goes as our linbackers go. Greenway and Hodge could cover the rbs out of backfield and keep up with wrs undernieth so we look pretty good on D. Humpel and Klink not so much and the D struggles. Edds and Angerer was like Green and Hodge and now its back to mediocre. Morris will get there i think with time. barely get by Hoosiers and Wisc puts up 83 on them???????

Latest posts