An end to the "he's never been a head coach" argument

So, one of the most storied programs of any sport (KU basketball) can hire an assistant whose only head-coaching experience was at high-school, Roy Williams, but Iowa can't?

So, one of the most storied programs of any sport (KU basketball) can hire an assistant whose only head-coaching experience was at high-school, Roy Williams, but Iowa can't?
He was an assistant under Dean Smith for (I believe) 11 years and recruited Michael Jordan amongst others. That and KU was due for some NCAA probation so I don't know exactly how picky they could be.

UMass in the A10, I would say yes. I'm not sure if Providence has always been in the Big East but if they have, then no definitely not a mid-major.

UMASS is, Providence is not. They have been in the Big East for awhile. My bad

You are right about UMass but I can never shake Marcus Camby at UMass therefore I remember the school as more than a mid-major.

UMass in the A10, I would say yes. I'm not sure if Providence has always been in the Big East but if they have, then no definitely not a mid-major.

UMASS is a mid-major. RP put them on the map like Cal put Memphis on the map.

Providence was a second job, so it doesn't count.

The Roy Williams hire is a good example of a coach that went from a major assistant level to a major HC. However, his name was on the list for a long time before he took that job. Forbes hasn't been on anyone's list till now, and from what I can tell, he is only on Iowa's list because Pearl and others are promoting him, not because there is a lot of interest from the AD's out there.

Shouldn't he be front and center for the UTEP job or Toledo, or any other mid-major looking for a coach?

My big bad...my big stupid bad... Pitino shouldn't be on that list... that's what happens when you type while... when you don't double check... I erred.
You are right. I am wrong.

I generally agree that exceptional assistants whould be considered by Iowa. However, same-school promotions are a different animal than hiring someone else's assistant. Martin and Izzo were same-school hires. Hiring a guy who's already been there for a couple of years reduces the margin of uncertainty significantly on several fronts.

Latest posts