Ames, most boring place in Iowa

Ames isn't so bad. Where else can you find a girl who will keep your yard trimmed by grazing. No mowing and saves meal money too

Hey they are bringing back fresh beef at McDonalds. I didn't realize fresh or frozen tasted that much different, but they must be losing business. Still remember Clara Peller (spelling) and "Where's the beef!?!?!" for Wendys
Lol Forgot about her!

dude...we've driven some of the same roads

Back in the day there was more to Coppock than driving past. :eek: I didn't think anyone would know where that is or was as there isn't much there. Ames would be tame compared to some of the stories.

The Pole Cat River runs through both Ames and Coppock.

Guys, this is getting crazy. I grew up in Brighton... when I was a tike

That explains a few things. :)

My grandma was baptized in Crooked Creek where it joins the Skunk River. Actually I bought the first bike I paid for at Montgomery Wards in Brighton. Can't remember the owners name though. Got a better deal there than at the big city.

Do they still do Whopee Day?

Last edited:
That explains a few things. :)

My grandma was baptized in Crooked Creek where it joins the Skunk River. Actually I bought the first bike I paid for at Montgomery Wards in Brighton. Can't remember the owners name though. Got a better deal there than at the big city.

Do they still do Whopee Day?

Wow. The hardware store was owned by Wendell Frazier, that may be what you're thinking of. I think Whoopee Days still exists. Did many Scout campouts at Lake Darling. FYI, I moved to the "Big City" in 5th grade. Washington...then on to Iowa City.

Wow. The hardware store was owned by Wendell Frazier, that may be what you're thinking of. I think Whoopee Days still exists. Did many Scout campouts at Lake Darling. FYI, I moved to the "Big City" in 5th grade. Washington...then on to Iowa City.

Yes it was Wendell. Bought my first stereo from him as well.

1347025697504_7324482.png

No better example of Ames mediocrity than the worship of Hickory Park. Locals rave about this place like it should be featured on the Food Network. It's...at best...an average bbq restaurant. I turn out better stuff on my deck.

As the saying goes... In the land of the blind...the one-eyed man is king.

Wow. You nailed this one. My friends from Ames always rave about Hickory Park. So I finally went there. I ordered the roast beef sandwich and my wife ordered the barbeque. The roast beef was some kind of pressed concoction. Not real roast beef. The mashed potatoes were powdered. The ribs had no taste at all. Awful. And yet the place is packed to the gills.

I went a second time. Same result. Really mediocre. I don't get it at all....it must be the price that keeps people coming back.

If you want to make some big money, open up a good steak joint or a good rib joint in Ames. You will kill it there. There is no competition.

Wow. You nailed this one. My friends from Ames always rave about Hickory Park. So I finally went there. I ordered the roast beef sandwich and my wife ordered the barbeque. The roast beef was some kind of pressed concoction. Not real roast beef. The mashed potatoes were powdered. The ribs had no taste at all. Awful. And yet the place is packed to the gills.

I went a second time. Same result. Really mediocre. I don't get it at all....it must be the price that keeps people coming back.

If you want to make some big money, open up a good steak joint or a good rib joint in Ames. You will kill it there. There is no competition.

I've never had a bad meal there yet...your bad I guess.
One thing Ames got over IC is one heck of a lot less liberal nutjobs.

Latest posts