Amazing revamping of WR room

deanvogs

So when the Texas boys left, they didn't leave much of anything in the WR room. The only thing that was left in that WR room was Vandeberg and he was a Sr. Iowa pretty much had to start from scratch moving on from the Texas guys. Iowa held together the WR group with walk ons and scotch tape in '17 and '18 to build up to what is in the WR room now. Looking at it, this is a pretty dang good rebuild of a position group that was so depleted.

Now I'm not under the impression that Iowa is going to all of a sudden pass for 4000 yards this year. What I do think can happen is Iowa passes for just over 3000 yards, but the bulk of those yards are gained by the WR group, not the TE group, or the RB's. In 2017 Iowa's WR accounted for only 1116 of Iowa's 2473 receiving yards yards. in 2018 Iowa's WR accounted for 1326 of Iowa's 2946 receiving yards. That is only 45% of Iowa's receiving yards coming from it's WR core. I think that number jumps to up in the 60%+ range of Iowa's receiving yards coming from the WR position group. That means they will need to combine for 1800 yards or so, which I think they can do or come close to doing.

I'm optimistic about this position. I think Kelton Copeland is a major upgrade from Kennedy.

There's at least a solid Top 5 in BS, ISM, NR, TT and OM.

We need to see it, of course, but, again, I'm optimistic.

We have seen BF display the ability to scheme people open, certainly much more so than we ever saw with the GD offense. If he can do that with greater consistency, and if we actually have the players to win favorable match-ups, things could get fun.

I really should be bracing myself for 8-4 and an underwhelming offense that puts up points against bad D's and looks lost against NW, PSU ,Wisc, and Michigan (I probably need to add ISU to that list). But I can't help dreaming of an offense that challenges all opponents and keeps D coordinators up at night. Gotta love preseason, possibilities abound.

I'm not sure how I feel about the top end talent of this group in a historical context yet, but I think it might be the deepest group of receivers Ferentz has ever had. And the top guys will have every chance to etch their names in Hawkeye lore this season.

I'm optimistic about this position. I think Kelton Copeland is a major upgrade from Kennedy.

There's at least a solid Top 5 in BS, ISM, NR, TT and OM.

We need to see it, of course, but, again, I'm optimistic.

This is where I'm at. I'm optimistic, but i'm also guarded due to the last 10 years of KF football. One game we'll come out and scheme against our tendencies only to follow it up by the next week running 21x for 20 yards in the first half.

The example in my head was maybe 2014 where pressure was on KF for a stagnant offense and we throw the ball all over the field against NW (and Wadley I think had a great game). Next week we play MN and we run Mark Weisman over and over and over.....and we lose the game.

There are many other examples where we see the offense look competent one week, only to look like they forgot the game the next.

This trend hasn't been broken under Brian