Amazing night for Clark.....do you think she comes back for one more?

HaydenHawk56

I don't think she will. Some of the things she has said (how she has said it) this year makes me think she is heading to the big league. She said another in her post game tonight saying, "Hannah better beat my record in the next 2 years."

Also she loses Martin and Marshall.....2 more of her clue pieces she has played with.

The #1 pick goes to Indiana....which Connor works for right?

Although she would make more with NIL compared to league money......she will probably have every endorsement under the sun....even the big dogs like Nike. With the NIL and endorsement money she has already made, she would not have to work another day in her life.

Unless she really wants to be a Hawkeye for another year. In that case, I don't think her career scoring record would ever be broken unless another pandemic like situation hits allowing extra years....and there is another Caitlin Clark type player playing during that time.

In that case, I don't think her career scoring record would ever be broken unless another pandemic like situation hits allowing extra years....and there is another Caitlin Clark type player playing during that time.
That's another topic. Should the points she scores next year count toward the record? I say no because it's in no way a level playing field. Past examples would be freshman eligibility, 14, 16, 17 game NFL seasons, etc. (a 14 to 16/17 game seasons throughout a 12 year career would amount to 24+ games). For quite a while, Roger Maris's record had an asterisk next to it because he did it in 162 games and not 154. I think, when someone comes close to Plum in the future, they'll look at Caitlin's ~4500 points and diminish her accomplishment saying nothing other than "she was great, but..." I sure as heck wouldn't want an asterisk. I'd rather see her record get passed.

I think a bigger deal would be made about the assist record that would be broken toward the end of next year. Right now, she's ~300 assists away from the record. She would be on pace to break it, but it would be close. If she plays 8 more games this year and 32 next year and averages 8 apg, that's 320 more assists giving her the record in her 29th game next year.

Just my opinions.

That's another topic. Should the points she scores next year count toward the record? I say no because it's in no way a level playing field. Past examples would be freshman eligibility, 14, 16, 17 game NFL seasons, etc. (a 14 to 16/17 game seasons throughout a 12 year career would amount to 24+ games). For quite a while, Roger Maris's record had an asterisk next to it because he did it in 162 games and not 154. I think, when someone comes close to Plum in the future, they'll look at Caitlin's ~4500 points and diminish her accomplishment saying nothing other than "she was great, but..." I sure as heck wouldn't want an asterisk. I'd rather see her record get passed.

I think a bigger deal would be made about the assist record that would be broken toward the end of next year. Right now, she's ~300 assists away from the record. She would be on pace to break it, but it would be close. If she plays 8 more games this year and 32 next year and averages 8 apg, that's 320 more assists giving her the record in her 29th game next year.

Just my opinions.
Another thing on this line of thinking....if she breaks Pete Maravich's record.....that will also have a *. Pistol Pete set his record in 3 years....and without the 3 point line. Staticians broke down his shots and he could have had another 800-900 points on his stats.

It will be cool when she catches him, but yes, he was unworldly in his ability to score. That said, he was playing against mostly chubby white guys who smoked during halftime.

I try to think of what scenario would compel her to come back. Most of the core players from the last two years (her best friends and closest teammates) will be gone.

The only scenario I can come up with is a bitter end to this season. Although for a competitor like her, anything short of the national championship will be bitter. Still, maybe a loss triggers an intense desire to make one more run at it.

The other element would be perhaps a good friend and fellow star deciding to join the Hawkeyes. I'm 100% making this scenario up, but say she and Van Lith are tight from their national team days. And Clark compels her to join the Hawks for a last ride.

Maybe there are one or two friends and stars out there like that. It'd be a totally difference experience for Clark...but I think it'd take something like that to tempt her.

While agreeing with what has been said, until it is known whether the Hawks win the regular season title (or tie, which is likely if they win out); win the conference tournament, and most importantly, get back to the Final Four, it's my guess that her decision won't be made.

As much competitive fire as CC has, if the Hawks fall short of these goals--especially a return to the Final Four--she might want to take one more crack at it. True, Kate, Gabby and Molly won't be teammates next season, but the returning talent is good, and the incoming class is a bunch of 4 stars, including a 6'4" post player from OR. It might take CC a while to get them rolling, but if anyone can do it, she can!

I don't think she will. Some of the things she has said (how she has said it) this year makes me think she is heading to the big league. She said another in her post game tonight saying, "Hannah better beat my record in the next 2 years."

Also she loses Martin and Marshall.....2 more of her clue pieces she has played with.

Although she would make more with NIL compared to league money......she will probably have every endorsement under the sun....even the big dogs like Nike. With the NIL and endorsement money she has already made, she would not have to work another day in her life.

Unless she really wants to be a Hawkeye for another year. In that case, I don't think her career scoring record would ever be broken unless another pandemic like situation hits allowing extra years....and there is another Caitlin Clark type player playing during that time.

Plus the Pacers have Aliyah Boston who is an almost unstoppable force in the paint

And she has been extremely complimentary of Caitlin throughout the season

Cailin's threes and feeding Boston inside would make the Pacers one of the better teams
in the WNBA one would surmise

Boston makes about $233,468 a year, not exactly chump change

Caitlin might command $500,000 a year

:cool:

Just my opinions.

It might not officially count but the points would be there with an asterisk [!]

The points added would be almost impossible to top without an extra year of competition

If Gabby, Kate, and Molly had another year, Caitlin could very possibly stay another year

But otherwise, I believe she will be gone

And sorely missed

Yeah I agree it feels like this is it. She was crazy close with Monica C, Warnock, Martin and Marshall. They spent a huge chunk of their careers together. I think she'll be moving on too and that's totally fine. If she surprises me and comes back then I'll be tickled pink. I'm just not going to expect it or be even a little upset about it if she goes pro. She doesn't have a wrong choice to make. It's what she wants to do and that's how it should be.

While agreeing with what has been said, until it is known whether the Hawks win the regular season title (or tie, which is likely if they win out); win the conference tournament, and most importantly, get back to the Final Four, it's my guess that her decision won't be made.

As much competitive fire as CC has, if the Hawks fall short of these goals--especially a return to the Final Four--she might want to take one more crack at it. True, Kate, Gabby and Molly won't be teammates next season, but the returning talent is good, and the incoming class is a bunch of 4 stars, including a 6'4" post player from OR. It might take CC a while to get them rolling, but if anyone can do it, she can!
That would be awesome if that were to happen. I think selfishly, most of us (if not all) want her to come back back again. We will all be on cloud nine if she does, if not they will build a statue of her either way.

I think a lot depends on if she makes it on the Olympic Team which will be a "hot potato". It's usually only WNBA vets. NBC I feel will "insist" on CC being on the team. I think how they treat her will go a long way in her decision to turn pro. Face it, the WNBA NEEDS CC. CC doesn't need the WNBA. If Bluder can get a couple of portal star players to join CC, I think she comes back.

Until an * appears on all the other players that played the covid year why would their be a need to put one on Caitlin's accomplishments? Taylor Robinson played for Oklahoma and set the 3 point record and played 151 games to set it. Where's her * Robertson beat K. Mitchell's record. You can't put an * on someone without putting one on all those that competed in the covid year.

Just my opinions.
I think the NCAA made that decision when they gave the BB world an extra year of eligibility.

It will be cool when she catches him, but yes, he was unworldly in his ability to score. That said, he was playing against mostly chubby white guys who smoked during halftime.

And when he played, women weren't welcome in the Boston Marathon. At the time, the AAU didn't think it was safe for women to run more than 1.5 miles. The first women's Olympic marathon did not occur until 1984.

I mean, I'm not saying that contemporary feminism doesn't sometimes appear to wander off track. But can you blame them? I mean, were the powers that be really worried up through the late '70s that women's uterus' would fall out? Or were they just chauvanist a$$holes? I suppose it doesn't really matter either way. Different world. No excuses. But different world creates apples and oranges.

And most girls at the time never crossed the midline when they played basketball cause they played 6 on 6.

Shohei Ohtani is the best comparison to Babe Ruth. Yes, he should be revered and will always be the Sultan of Swat. But Shohei is the GOAT. Legit unicorn.

Thanks for listening to my Mental Diarrhea Talk.

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on if she makes it on the Olympic Team which will be a "hot potato". It's usually only WNBA vets. NBC I feel will "insist" on CC being on the team. I think how they treat her will go a long way in her decision to turn pro. Face it, the WNBA NEEDS CC. CC doesn't need the WNBA. If Bluder can get a couple of portal star players to join CC, I think she comes back.

USA Basketball would be dumb to put her on the team. Despite her international experience, she is still a collegiate athlete.

But can they afford not to?

They're gonna win anyway. It will draw 3x the viewers with her. And that's just counting ratings/streams from Iowans. She makes one 3 and it will get reposted across social media. Turico would have her in studio.

I was talking to a vendor in rural TN yesterday. Good ole SEC boy. Told him I was tired from staying up to watch basketball. Didnt tell him what game. He said he was visiting his elderly mother and they were watching a TN game, but she insisted they switch and watch "that Caitlin Clark from Iowa". I've been telling myself I'm somewhat more realistic about the Clark Effect than most Iowans.

I think I might be a little more wrong than I usually am about such things.

She's going to be set financially whether she stays or goes. She is her own brand. She's a millionaire.

I think she's gone. She needs a new challenge. She'll average about 15 assists a game in the WNBA.

Don't you think they'll find the money? Just not in the form of salary.

It's all sales. If you can increase sales of widgets by 1%, you know how much more revenue that brings. WNBA is selling TV eyeballs. They know exactly how much a 1% increase in viewers is. And let's face it, the WNBA can probably get that 1% from Iowans alone. Let alone elderly ladies in TN. And another 1% from basketball mad Indianans...who've been watching Clark terrorize their college teams for 4 years.

The WNBA will gladly give some of that extra revenue to Clark. Through Pepsi or something.

And as much as she says she's just a normal college girl? Not a chance. I'm sure she enjoys the spotlight. But this has to be the most exhausting season any college basketball team has ever faced. Thank God the California trips don't start until next year.

Latest posts