Amazing Analysis Of Husker Coaching Results

The first two posts on this forum are about the Huskers. I DEMAND a new moderator. When the hell did this place become huskernation?

Saw this a while ago when I was cruising huskerboard and laughing at those genetic defectives cry about Frost ducking the OU game.

This shows with hard numbers how tire fiery that shithole program has been since fans and donors decided to play musical coaches.

Informative, interesting, and absolutely hilarious read...

https://arbitraryanalytics.com/2021/03/15/husker-coaching-resume/
Wow. “Nothing more irritating than a good example”, or, several.

I wish I could find it, but I did a somewhat related analysis a few years back along the lines of "what percentage of Nebraska's total program wins have come against Iowa State, Kansas, or Kansas State?". Of course, historically, those 3 are among the absolute worst D1 programs of all time (not hyperbole, their all time W/L records support this assertion) and, historically, Nebraska played all 3 every year for decades on end.

Nebraska's win percentage against those 3 was astronomical, which I expected. What I *didn't* quite anticipate was the total percentage of wins those three programs accounted for in Nebraska's all time record which, as I recall, for the window for which I did the analysis, was something near 1/3rd of Nebraska's all time total wins.

Obviously, Nebraska has had some incredibly impressive program achievements but they also benefitted greatly from being spotted 3 near auto-wins for many, many years on end (and, remember, for much of that time, teams were only playing 9 or 10 game schedules, so being given essentially a free 3-0 is nothing to sneeze at). I don't think it can be ignored.

The Big 8 was a very weird place in terms of having 5/8ths of the conference being made up of statistically (all time W/L) very extreme teams (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State). I don't believe any other long-standing conference demonstrated such polarization for such a prolonged time period.

Analyzing past achievements in college football can be a tricky. It is made up of several era, different sets of rules as far as scholarship limits and limiting substitutions. I believe this fascination with reviewing Nebraska past success as a future predictor of Big Ten success is the central issue. It shouldn't matter for Iowa fans but reading Nebraska fans comments is entertaining so it gets discussed here. Whether Nebraska will ever again be in the annual national championship discussion is an unknown. Odds are it will be much harder than the greatest era in Nebraska football.

I was awake early so I spent some time doing a data dive. Here are some numbers/percentages that can be used for forming your own theories:

-Ties excluded-
*All time winning % of .688
*All time bowl winning % of .491 (26-27)
*Big 8 conference record (379-161) .70%
*Big 8 conference record minus Oklahoma (341-116) .74%
*Big 12 conference record minus Big 8 opponents (32-19) .62% (A&M, Texas, Baylor, Tech)
*Overall conferences record - BXII plus Big 8 (411-180) .69%
*Non-Conference Games record minus non-fbs games (364-200) .64% (Teams like Grinnell)

-Big Ten Records-
*Historical against current Big 10 members (115-106) .52%
* Since Membership (46-45) 50.5%
*Prior to Membership (74-63) 54%
*5 conference losing season in the last 6 seasons.

What stands out for me is the 4% increase in winning percentage when Oklahoma is removed from their Big 8 conference record. It says a lot about the competitive nature of the Big 8. Another revealing number the .64% record in non-conference games. While excellent at .64% it is below the all time winning percentage of .688% and the .70% Big 8 win percentage. There were consequence to forming the Big 12 as well. The record of 32 and 19 produces .62% winning percentage, but below the overall historic of average of .688.

Prior to Big Ten Membership Nebraska's winning Big Ten percentage was .54% which is below all the aforementioned conferences percentages and by quite a margin. Using purely conference games since joining the Big Ten the winning percentage has dropped to 50.5%.

I do not doubt the Osbourne teams could have performed well in the Big Ten and in the era he was the coach. I'm not so sure that they would have as many games as they did.

Both Oklahoma and Nebraska benefited from getting to play Kansas, Kansas State (prior to Bill Snyder), Iowa State, Oklahoma State, etc every year. Those teams were historically awful for years. That's how you get a 74% winning percentage.

It's like Penn State coming into the Big Ten. Prior, they were relevant on the National stage every year almost. Made some nice runs to get National Titles (prior to the playoffs) when you were chosen to play in the presumed NC game. Since joining the Big Ten...they have only really been at the top level once or twice in 24 years.

The point is this...when you have to play EVERY week...and there are no real cupcakes...you have to really have a great team to get through the conference unblemished. The Big Ten is a brutal conference right now especially. Who are the cupcakes...Rutgers & Illinois maybe? And you know Burt will get Illinois competitive. Rutgers is going to make a comeback too under Schiano. There is no Kansas.