Am I the only one...

Chalk me up as one who's worried. I think our secondary is grossly overrated in the passing game. If Arnaud doesn't make mistakes they'll put themselves in a lot of opportunities to kick fg's.

We likely won't get 5 TO's like we got last year against them. There WR corp will be more talented than half the teams we face this year.

We probably beat them 9 of 10 times this year, but that 1 out of 10 scares me considering it's a rivalry. We've seen it happen too many times now to not be worried.

My biggest concern is ISU's passing game.
We will play bend buy don't break, like always, and I think ISU will come out and dink and dunk there way down the field. It's going to be frustrating to watch. I just hope we can make a statement early, and not let them hang around too long, and let them think they have a shot. We need to get up on them right away.

This. Their offense is very similar to that of NW's and Indiana's. Two teams that have given us fits over the years.

worried about the ISU game coming up? I don't know what it is and I can't put my finger on it but I just have this nagging feeling they are going to catch lightning in a bottle this year and upset us. They have some good receivers and if our DB play doesn't get polished up they could put some points on the board. On top of that I am still a little concerned with the OL play. ISU has an uncanny knack for stepping their game up despite their skill level.

I have that same kind of feeling, but I had the same feeling last year in the week leading up to the game and the day of the game. I even texted a good friend of mine who is a Clone fan and said the Clones would win.

The reality is that if Iowa plays the way they're capable of playing on Saturday, the 4th quarter should be stress-free.

This. Their offense is very similar to that of NW's and Indiana's. Two teams that have given us fits over the years.

How so? NW scored 10 points last year, and Indiana only got a field goal in 2nd half after the Hawks adjusted.

I have no doubt that ISU will be able to move the ball between the 20's on Saturday, but once they get near the red zone, the defense tightens up and uses the back of the end zone as another defender.

Being at the game I saw some stuff that is concerning. AA seem much improved over last year. might have something to do with his OL.

I think we will win but wouldn't bet it will be by more than 10pts.

I think for the most part we should be able to move against their defense. They are very inexperienced in their front seven but with Iowa's inexperience on the OL they could take advantage of it. The bigger concern is AA on year two of their new offensive system. Yes, they only scored 27 against a weak NIU and our D is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than NIU's but it all boils down to what I have said before. It does not matter how good or bad ISU looked in the first game, they usually come out like world beaters for Iowa.

Last edited:
I think for the most part we should be able to move against their defense. They are very inexperienced in their front seven but with Iowa's inexperience on the OL they could take advantage of it. The bigger concern is AA on year two of their new offensive system. Yes, they only scored 24 againt NIU and our D is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than NIU's but it all boils down to what I have said before. It does not matter how good or bad ISU looked in the first game, they usually come out like world beaters for Iowa.

We'll get everyone's best shot this year, you can count on that. I know that's not going to ease your anxiety but just have faith that we have a great coaching staff and a veteran qb that has big game experience. And he's 2-0 against the clowns. Hope that helps.

We'll get everyone's best shot this year, you can count on that. I know that's not going to ease your anxiety but just have faith that we have a great coaching staff and a veteran qb that has big game experience. And he's 2-0 against the clowns. Hope that helps.

Wouldn't it actually be 1-0 with a no decision?

Another thing you have to remember is how Iowa looks in games against ISU when ISU actually doesn't look like azz in game one.

Quite frankly, when ISU provides the Hawks with good game tape to prepare for ... the Hawks invariably DO NOT underestimate the Cyclones. And, as a result, Iowa typically executes that much better ... and, more often than not, we win.

While I agree that Iowa's secondary is a bit overrated ... at least with Prater out (and I was very pleased with Castillo in game 1 FYI) ... I also believe that the group matches up with ISU's WRs better than most folks think.

Sedrick Johnson is as big and developed as they have ... and he's no bigger than McNutt or Keenan Davis. Furthermore, ISU's WR corps is not manned by a bunch of burners ... perhaps with the exception of Lenz. Anyhow, Iowa's DBs match up pretty well.

Furthermore, NIU had to blitz in order to force the ball out of Arnaud's hand. In contrast, if Iowa's DL plays with some serious fire in their stomachs .... then Iowa is capable of generating MORE pressure ... but with 7 guys back in coverage.

In addition, Iowa's DL will likely be more adept at slowing the running game too ... putting themselves in positions to not rely on arm tackles like they tried to do last year. Thus, look for Iowa's run D to be more effective.

As I've pointed out before, Iowa's relative weak point might be at the MIKE position against the pass ... however, that too might not be the case if Tarp is good to go.

Anyhow, I'm no more worried about this game than I am about any other.

Another thing you have to remember is how Iowa looks in games against ISU when ISU actually doesn't look like azz in game one.

Quite frankly, when ISU provides the Hawks with good game tape to prepare for ... the Hawks invariably DO NOT underestimate the Cyclones. And, as a result, Iowa typically executes that much better ... and, more often than not, we win.

While I agree that Iowa's secondary is a bit overrated ... at least with Prater out (and I was very pleased with Castillo in game 1 FYI) ... I also believe that the group matches up with ISU's WRs better than most folks think.

Sedrick Johnson is as big and developed as they have ... and he's no bigger than McNutt or Keenan Davis. Furthermore, ISU's WR corps is not manned by a bunch of burners ... perhaps with the exception of Lenz. Anyhow, Iowa's DBs match up pretty well.

Furthermore, NIU had to blitz in order to force the ball out of Arnaud's hand. In contrast, if Iowa's DL plays with some serious fire in their stomachs .... then Iowa is capable of generating MORE pressure ... but with 7 guys back in coverage.

In addition, Iowa's DL will likely be more adept at slowing the running game too ... putting themselves in positions to not rely on arm tackles like they tried to do last year. Thus, look for Iowa's run D to be more effective.

As I've pointed out before, Iowa's relative weak point might be at the MIKE position against the pass ... however, that too might not be the case if Tarp is good to go.

Anyhow, I'm no more worried about this game than I am about any other.

Wasn't Tarpinian a late scratch on Saturday? As in he (like Koeppel) was in uniform and could have played?

While a repeat of the Big Ten winning streak from 2002 would be nice, I'd prefer not to repeat the 2002 Iowa St game. Time for Ferentz to reach .500 against the Cyclones!

While a repeat of the Big Ten winning streak from 2002 would be nice, I'd prefer not to repeat the 2002 Iowa St game. Time for Ferentz to reach .500 against the Cyclones!

Ya clowns always forget that Iowa lost that game then when on a nice win streak while ISU lost to Baylor at home and others..giving Baylor their first B12 road win.

At least I think that was the year they lost to Baylor, (I don't follow ISU.)

I'll be a great test to see how we match up against Arizona. Expect our defense to get some good work in. If our offense stays consistent we win by double figures. Their defense is awful and is very undersized. Expect Jewel and A-Rob to get plenty of carries.

Latest posts