Alvarez: UW and Iowa to go separate ways

I screwed up shadas

I meant Wiscy going west and iowa heading east.

will edit now

thanks for catching that

I don't think that would happen anyway. Remember, these moves have to be approved by at least an 8-3 vote. Delany can't just issue an edict and make it so.

Do the AD's vote 8-3 and the Presidents, or just the Presidents? Doesn't Nebraska get a vote?

Taking Iowa out of the equation. I know we are all freaked and it is hard to do, but please try.

Which do you think is the sexier division OSU / PSU, or Nebby / UM?

We better to learn to beat OSU every now and then. Because if he are OSU's whipping boy every year any chance at elevating our program nationally is done, and its a recipe for Outback bowls and relative national obscurity.

We also will never be a natural rival to OSU. The nation will get hyped about OSU/MI and PSU/OSU and we'll be third fiddle, especially if can beat them with some frequency. I'd rather be in a division where we can advance to the Championship game because we'll get more national attention if we can make it there with some frequency.

The only positive is recruiting. We like to recruit out east, and I doubt we'll lose our ability to recruit our border states.

The great part is Iowa OWNS Penn State...they've only beaten the Hawks once (?) since joining the Big10. Downside...no one wants to be with OSU, but that is only 1 game to make it to the BIG10 championship game, easier road if you ask me looking from the other side of the state.

The Hawks took the buckeyes to OT in the "Shoe" so it can be done.

I know playing Nebby, Wisky and/or Mich sounds great...really I wouldn't make it easy on yourself and worse case you are #2 most years in the division going to a top tier bowl.

The main point don't worry...OSU owns everyone, IA owns PSU, just don't get NU (who current day owns IA) in your division and you really have nothing to worry about. 11-1 every year...c'mon that's awesome!

Also Barry A sucks.

If Wiscy/Iowa are going to be in separate divisions, I really think that pretty much guarantees that Iowa/Nebby are going to be in the same division.

There is NO WAY that the Big Ten is going to take away BOTH of Iowa's locked rivalries without throwing Iowa a bone as well. If the Big Ten is going to take away Minny/Wiscy, then I think Iowa will gain a rivalry with Nebbie. It is sad that Iowa/Minny wouldn't be an annual game (we have played Minny every season since 1935), but gaining a rivalry with Nebbie would be huge for the program. There is no way that Wiscy/Minny end up in opposite divisions, so my assumption would be that Wiscy/Minny in one division means that Iowa/Nebby in the other.

If this is true, I'm guessing this is the divisional alignment:

Division 1

Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern

Division 2

Penn State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Indiana
Purdue

The great part is Iowa OWNS Penn State...they've only beaten the Hawks once (?) since joining the Big10. Downside...no one wants to be with OSU, but that is only 1 game to make it to the BIG10 championship game, easier road if you ask me looking from the other side of the state.

The Hawks took the buckeyes to OT in the "Shoe" so it can be done.

I know playing Nebby, Wisky and/or Mich sounds great...really I wouldn't make it easy on yourself and worse case you are #2 most years in the division going to a top tier bowl.

The main point don't worry...OSU owns everyone, IA owns PSU, just don't get NU (who current day owns IA) in your division and you really have nothing to worry about. 11-1 every year...c'mon that's awesome!

Also Barry A sucks.

Iowa owns PSU with an Old JoePa, if PSU gets back to what they can be it will be like have two OSUs in the same division. Ouch!

If Wiscy/Iowa are going to be in separate divisions, I really think that pretty much guarantees that Iowa/Nebby are going to be in the same division.

There is NO WAY that the Big Ten is going to take away BOTH of Iowa's locked rivalries without throwing Iowa a bone as well. If the Big Ten is going to take away Minny/Wiscy, then I think Iowa will gain a rivalry with Nebbie. It is sad that Iowa/Minny wouldn't be an annual game (we have played Minny every season since 1935), but gaining a rivalry with Nebbie would be huge for the program. There is no way that Wiscy/Minny end up in opposite divisions, so my assumption would be that Wiscy/Minny in one division means that Iowa/Nebby in the other.

If this is true, I'm guessing this is the divisional alignment:

Division 1

Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern

Division 2

Penn State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Indiana
Purdue

This would be a great lineup for Iowa. Michigan is going to fire RichRod this year and is going to need several years to get back on track. Nebraska, contrary to popular belief is not and has not been the powerhouse they once were. They still haven't beat a team that finished the season ranked, since 2001.

This would be great for Iowa.

Iowa in the east, huh? Let's see. We're recruiting that direction more and more. More population out there. One way or the other, the road to the Big10 championship goes through OSU, whether we play them during the season or in the championship game. We can have a protected rivalry with Nebraska if that's your thing. I don't really care about Nebraska and I think the rest of the nation will join me over the next few decades.

As I see it, we play two name programs in OSU and PSU every year on national t.v. We're in a low population state and the Big10 wants to get us exposure where a lot of people(and recruits) live. Sounds good to me. I'll take the bird in the hand which is OSU and PSU. Wiscy can have the one in the bush and pray that a rivalry game with Nebraska doesn't lose national interest.

this is a crock, FU wisky and....

the ol Barry says it OSU,IA,PSU? so the 3 of the 4 teams that have won every B10 championship in the last 10 years in 1 division? how stupid.

and yes it will wreck any chance of Iowa reaching a solid yearly top 5 team, even top 10.

So what if we get to recruit out east more, its not like we aren't out there every year anyway. Its not like we are now going to play on the eastern seaboard.

if this holds true we loose our trophy games, and honestly I don't really give a crap about wisky we pound them 7out10 the last ten years, but that dam pig!!!we have to play for Floyd

the big games int he B10 will be UM/OSU OSU/PSU PSU/UM and.....we can watch wisky get raped by Nebby every year.

speaking of Nebby, TO has been very vocal about playing the hawks every year. I took that to mean in the same division.

BA thinks by putting this out there he can force his way, hell why doesn't he go for IA/OSU/UNL/UM/MSU/PSU all in one division? then he can push for inviting ISU and UK and put them in his division...

We need Hayden as our AD spokesman, get him to bend this our way. Or at least some what fair

Last edited:
No one wants to be in the same division as OSU other than Michigan and perhaps PSU. So, I'm sure most schools are jockeying for position to get out of that yearly matchup.

"It’s seems certain that UW and Minnesota will be in the same division, meaning they’ll be able to continue playing for Paul Bunyan’s Axe as part of the most-played rivalry among Football Bowl Subdivision schools (119 games dating back to 1890)."

This was not a quote from Alvarez. If you read the article this is the reporter's statement. It is not in quotes if you read the article closely. Initially I was pretty bummed out that Iowa might be placed in the East. After reading the article closely Wisconsin could be guaranteed the Minnesota game and not be in the same division as Minnesota. :)

Hey Barry, why not set it up like this.

Division 1

Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State

Division 2

Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Indiana
Purdue

The Big10 is probably not done growing. If Maryland or Rutgers joins, its great exposure for Iowa on the east coast. You want perennial top 10 team or a national championship, you will need the recruits to do it. We already have the coaches. More exposure means better recruiting and that makes us more and more competitive and then we don't care if we're in the same division as OSU. Then, we WANT to play them. Its a total change in philosophy. To be the best, you have to play the best. The better we get, the better the competition we're going to have to play.

I'm open to change but this much I know....

If we are in a division without EITHER Nebby or Wisky I vote we give Nebby back to the B12 and look at Mizzou or someone from out east.

Yeah, there is no way Iowa gets split from Nebraska, Minny, and Wisconsin. We will be in a division with at least one of them. Barry himself said that most rivalries were kept in tact, so if Iowa gets stuck with no protected rivalries, that makes no sense. I think Minnesota and Wisconsin are heading East, while Iowa and NE stay West.

Barry himself said that most rivalries were kept in tact, so if Iowa gets stuck with no protected rivalries, that makes no sense. I think Minnesota and Wisconsin are heading East, while Iowa and NE stay West.

Um Bud, wanna rethink this argument?

Dang it Jon I've been waiting to hear you guys talk about this since monday, missed the show this morning and no podcast!?!

This is exactly what I was talking about this morning...I smell a foul stench from the east here...as in Iowa in the same division with PSU and OSU

I truly think you are overreacting here Jon. Although you do have me worried. It just makes no sense at all (competetively or rivalry wise) to move Iowa away from all of their natural rivals. It sure as hell would not be fair to fans who want to travel to away games. Iowa would not play anyone close to home.

If Wisconsin somehow conned Delaney into allowing them to have both MN & NE, then the divisions would look something like this:

Minnesota
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Mich St
Northwestern

Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Penn St
Ohio St

It just really doesn't make sense, I would have to believe that Iowa could put up enough of a fight to say, hey fine if you won't let us be with MN or WI, but then we get NE. No way we are that terrible at negotiating that we lose all 3. Barry himself said that most rivalries will be kept in tact. Iowa-Nebraska is a natural rivalry wating to happen. Tom Osbourne said they want to be in a division with Iowa, even Ferentz said he assumed we would be with NE. I see the divisions shaking out like this:

Iowa
Nebraska
Michigan
MSU
Illinois
Northwestern

Ohio St
Penn St
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin
Minnesota

That's a very even balance and preserves perfectly natural rivalries for each team.

Um Bud, wanna rethink this argument?

Umm, no. Why? Read my last post for my take on the divisions. This keeps almost every major rivalry intact. Yes, Iowa would lose either WI or MN, but we would add NE to even it out. That makes the most sense.

IF somehow Iowa ends up losing ALL rivalries (that would require total incompetence by Barta) AND we get put in the same division as OSU...I'm done. the Big 10 is a joke at that point.

What is there to play for? It's like the freakin NFL at that point. And I watch about 5 NFL games a year.

Latest posts