Alternate College Football Entertainment Ideas for the Fall

CP87

People were hugely invested in the NFL draft, they are all over the MJ documentary, and soon they will probably be pouring themselves into golf. We are sports-starved, so anything that comes along that fills that vacuum is voraciously consumed.

So under the hypothetical scenario of no college football this fall, what could schools/conference-networks put out there that you would consume?

A couple of thoughts:
  • School vs. school skill challenges or trick-shot-like competitions (most ridiculous one-handed grabs, Petras hitting the cross-bar from 70 yards, dropping the ball in a garbage can from 50 yards, etc.)
  • e-sports-style, NCAA Football competitions: a school picks its best player/players, and they compete against other conference schools
  • can't go wrong with documentaries (what Iowa-specific story do you want to see told?)
Would you watch any of this in the fall? Or is there no substitute for you? Other thoughts?

In the past I've always had to juggle youth club soccer with college and professional football. Always seemed to find one interfering with the other and now I may not have either of them. Wonder if there'll be any yard work or "honey do" programing because unfortunately that may be what were stuck with. I guess on the bright side is you could make it a spectacle and tailgate before and after doing it.

People were hugely invested in the NFL draft, they are all over the MJ documentary, and soon they will probably be pouring themselves into golf. We are sports-starved, so anything that comes along that fills that vacuum is voraciously consumed.

So under the hypothetical scenario of no college football this fall, what could schools/conference-networks put out there that you would consume?

A couple of thoughts:
  • School vs. school skill challenges or trick-shot-like competitions (most ridiculous one-handed grabs, Petras hitting the cross-bar from 70 yards, dropping the ball in a garbage can from 50 yards, etc.)
  • e-sports-style, NCAA Football competitions: a school picks its best player/players, and they compete against other conference schools
  • can't go wrong with documentaries (what Iowa-specific story do you want to see told?)
Would you watch any of this in the fall? Or is there no substitute for you? Other thoughts?
I would watch anything involving Iowa football or basketball - current players, past players, coaches etc. Wouldn't have to be anything specific. Anything else - no.

I would love to see the definitive Dan Gable documentary. Also, Im really looking forward to the Nile Kinnick movie if it happens.

How about a strongman competition between all the schools? Winner gets a big scholarship to their school.

A decathalon between all the football teams best athletes.

Last edited:
How about a week by week best-game deep dive?

In Week 1, you grab a particularly meaningful Week 1 game from Hawkeye history. You replay most of the game, but intersperse with interviews from participants. Perhaps get the coaches to do some chalk talk along the way about why they made a certain call, or why something worked or didn't.

Repeat the following week with a meaningful Week 2 game, and so on.

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but here goes...

First I want to say that I wish this whole disaster had never happened and I'd be most happy with another year of sports to enjoy. Truthfully, I would.

But...

One thing I've noticed is that as much as it sucks, I'm finding time now to do other things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Things that I forgot I missed and things that I enjoy.

A typical year for me is pretty much based around sports because my 13 yo is involved in everything. I coach a travel team which to be honest will fade away now, and typically umpire 30-35 JV/V double-headers. Then it's football, basketball, wrestling (In Iowa you can do both in junior high so he does), track, and start over again with baseball. Every Saturday in the fall is sun up to sun down college football time, and twice a year we make the five and a half hour trip to IC for a game. When I stop and think about it it's actually very consuming. My kid isn't a pro prospect in any sport, he's actually pretty terrible at basketball and wrestling, but he enjoys both of them a lot so I support it. He's a good football and baseball player, and I could maybe see some JUCO or NAIA stuff in baseball but that's probably it. Which is A-okay. As long as he enjoys sports and they're available to him I'm all in. But when I reflect on it, I spend the majority of my non-day job hours doing something relating to sports.

Well this year Iowa high school baseball might not happen, and if it does the earliest the IAHSAA has said it would start would be June 15 with a very abbreviated season of maybe three weeks. Middle school baseball in our district has been called off and we aren't able to use the schools indoor facilities. As far as umpiring, even if the varsity stuff does happen I told my assignor I'm not talking any games. Surprisingly, my son and his close buddies (all classmates and fellow sports kids) haven't complained a whole lot about everything with sports getting shut down. I think it's a combination of having stuff like BP and throwing all year round and getting a little burnt out, and also seeing that even with social distancing there is a lot to do outside that isn't school sports.

I've planted a garden for the first time in 9 years, I've got some house/yard projects that have been neglected, and I'll spend a whole lot more time fishing and hanging out with my kid---doing other things with zero pressure tied to them. Kid is going to Maryland for three weeks in July to visit his aunt/uncle and cousins when baseball would normally prevent him forom doing that (don't @ me about traveling, I won't change my mind). It will suck not having football to watch this year and I doubt it will happen in schools as well, but we will find other things to fill that gap. Again, I hate that this is going on and would give just about anything to reverse it, but hitting the reset button on sports has actually been a little cathartic...for me at least.

How about a strongman competition between all the schools? Winner gets a big scholarship to there school.

A decathalon between all the football teams best athletes.
Both of those are amazing ideas. I'd love to see that even in a post-COVID world.

First I want to say that I wish this whole disaster had never happened and I'd be most happy with another year of sports to enjoy. Truthfully, I would.

But...

One thing I've noticed is that as much as it sucks, I'm finding time now to do other things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Things that I forgot I missed and things that I enjoy.

A typical year for me is pretty much based around sports because my 13 yo is involved in everything. I coach a travel team which to be honest will fade away now, and typically umpire 30-35 JV/V double-headers. Then it's football, basketball, wrestling (In Iowa you can do both in junior high so he does), track, and start over again with baseball. Every Saturday in the fall is sun up to sun down college football time, and twice a year we make the five and a half hour trip to IC for a game. When I stop and think about it it's actually very consuming. My kid isn't a pro prospect in any sport, he's actually pretty terrible at basketball and wrestling, but he enjoys both of them a lot so I support it. He's a good football and baseball player, and I could maybe see some JUCO or NAIA stuff in baseball but that's probably it. Which is A-okay. As long as he enjoys sports and they're available to him I'm all in. But when I reflect on it, I spend the majority of my non-day job hours doing something relating to sports.

Well this year Iowa high school baseball might not happen, and if it does the earliest the IAHSAA has said it would start would be June 15 with a very abbreviated season of maybe three weeks. Middle school baseball in our district has been called off and we aren't able to use the schools indoor facilities. As far as umpiring, even if the varsity stuff does happen I told my assignor I'm not talking any games. Surprisingly, my son and his close buddies (all classmates and fellow sports kids) haven't complained a whole lot about everything with sports getting shut down. I think it's a combination of having stuff like BP and throwing all year round and getting a little burnt out, and also seeing that even with social distancing there is a lot to do outside that isn't school sports.

I've planted a garden for the first time in 9 years, I've got some house/yard projects that have been neglected, and I'll spend a whole lot more time fishing and hanging out with my kid---doing other things with zero pressure tied to them. Kid is going to Maryland for three weeks in July to visit his aunt/uncle and cousins when baseball would normally prevent him forom doing that (don't @ me about traveling, I won't change my mind). It will suck not having football to watch this year and I doubt it will happen in schools as well, but we will find other things to fill that gap. Again, I hate that this is going on and would give just about anything to reverse it, but hitting the reset button on sports has actually been a little cathartic...for me at least.
I've done the same. Taking care of a lot of household things that I've been routinely neglecting, even going to build a 500 square foot patio sometime this summer. I'm glad the landfill is finally open again, I have a ton of useless shit that I need to get rid of. Bought some awesome Hawkeye cornhole boards that arrived on Monday and have been spending time playing that with my young kiddos, they really seem to enjoy it!

I've done the same. Taking care of a lot of household things that I've been routinely neglecting, even going to build a 500 square foot patio sometime this summer. I'm glad the landfill is finally open again, I have a ton of useless shit that I need to get rid of. Bought some awesome Hawkeye cornhole boards that arrived on Monday and have been spending time playing that with my young kiddos, they really seem to enjoy it!
Next week the water temps will hit 65-70 and the bluegill spawn will be on like donkey kong. Fish tacos and iced tea at my place every weekend. It's just me and my kid so up to 8 of you can stop by as long as you feel ok. Lol.

This sounds morbidly selfish but I'm sort of glad that for now at least I don't have to set up and throw BP, or pack my stuff at 6AM to ump a game right after work. I can load my fishing stuff up and drive straight to the lake like a bum.

This COVID thing is the worst mess in four or five generations though so I have to keep that in perspective. It's not something I want to look at as giving me a forced vacation. but if I can't change it I'm going to try and glass half full the parts that I can. What a time.

I started playing online chess with my 8 and 7 year old grandsons a couple of months ago and my son, also against the computer. I used to play chess a lot as a kid and after high school I would play when I could find someone who would play. I did play some computer chess back in the day and then taught my son and daughter but really havent hardly played in the last 15 years. It is good for my older brain.

Last year was my first in retirement and I bought a season golf pass for 4 courses in the area. I played a lot and it was great. I could just walk 9 or walk 9 and then ride 9, whatever. This year I am not playing as much and I think one reason is there are so many people not working during the day it is much harder to get a tee time. And I would rather play alone although one time I did play with another person but we kept our distance. There is no need to touch flagsticks and they use foam padding in the hole so your ball only drops in an inch and easy to knock out with your putter.

It will be nice when golf gets back on tv. Since I like to play so much I like to watch as it is a very individual sport where your opponent does not touch your ball. It is all on the individual. The PGA tour has raised over $2 billion to support charities and many golfers have their own charities so they do a really good job of giving back with very few negative stories.

Are there any online college football gaming sites where people can play head to head? I think that would be cool and tournaments could be set up if their is little or no college football this fall.

Has anyone on HNation played the long time board game Bowl Bound? It was originally marketed maybe by Sports Illustrated back around 1970. A very fun game based on statistical analysis of real top college teams back around 1960-1969. A dice roll game where the dice have various statistical outcome patterns that chose the play outcomes.

Next week the water temps will hit 65-70 and the bluegill spawn will be on like donkey kong. Fish tacos and iced tea at my place every weekend. It's just me and my kid so up to 8 of you can stop by as long as you feel ok. Lol.

This sounds morbidly selfish but I'm sort of glad that for now at least I don't have to set up and throw BP, or pack my stuff at 6AM to ump a game right after work. I can load my fishing stuff up and drive straight to the lake like a bum.

This COVID thing is the worst mess in four or five generations though so I have to keep that in perspective. It's not something I want to look at as giving me a forced vacation. but if I can't change it I'm going to try and glass half full the parts that I can. What a time.
For as much bad that is coming out of this, there will be a lot of good too.

I'd join ya but A) there's no way I'm driving 4-5 hours and B) (don't crucify me) I don't like fish. Can't wait until I can start entertaining friends again and have a beer (or a dozen) with somebody other than the wife!

B) (don't crucify me) I don't like fish.
Ain't no thang. Some people just don't like it. I do always ask people who mention that if they've had the real deal wild caught stuff cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm guessing you're a cultured enough dude to have given it a chance.

My best friend's wife and one of their daughters said for years they hated it and would never try it at cookouts. Their experience was "fish" sticks and those ground up rubber patties you get in school. When I finally got em to give stuff a shot that was swimming two hours prior they loved it and eat a ton now.

But...as someone who doesn't like wild game like deer or pheasant, I know what it's like when people incessantly try to get you to "try it" so I don't give anyone a hard time. I must've shot three or four hundred pheasants growing up but I never ate a single one. They all got given away to guys I was hunting with or neighbors/relatives/friends etc.

Ain't no thang. Some people just don't like it. I do always ask people who mention that if they've had the real deal wild caught stuff cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm guessing you're a cultured enough dude to have given it a chance.

My best friend's wife and one of their daughters said for years they hated it and would never try it at cookouts. Their experience was "fish" sticks and those ground up rubber patties you get in school. When I finally got em to give stuff a shot that was swimming two hours prior they loved it and eat a ton now.

But...as someone who doesn't like wild game like deer or pheasant, I know what it's like when people incessantly try to get you to "try it" so I don't give anyone a hard time. I must've shot three or four hundred pheasants growing up but I never ate a single one. They all got given away to guys I was hunting with or neighbors/relatives/friends etc.
Yeah the wife's family has fish fries (about 25-30 people) all the time and I want to shoot myself. They fry mushrooms too and to me it smells like chicken that's sat in 90 degree temps for a week. You'll never see me eat a fungus. I'm somewhat cultured but more of the belief that I'm not short on different things I like to eat, I don't really need to add anything else. Probably why I'm still married ;)

I'll smoke some salmon every now and then but am plenty occupied with beef, pork and chicken. I don't mind deer meat at all but I don't see a point in it when I have other options that I think are better.

Yeah the wife's family has fish fries (about 25-30 people) all the time and I want to shoot myself. They fry mushrooms too and to me it smells like chicken that's sat in 90 degree temps for a week. You'll never see me eat a fungus. I'm somewhat cultured but more of the belief that I'm not short on different things I like to eat, I don't really need to add anything else. Probably why I'm still married ;)

I'll smoke some salmon every now and then but am plenty occupied with beef, pork and chicken. I don't mind deer meat at all but I don't see a point in it when I have other options that I think are better.
I didn't like mushrooms until I got older, now I love 'em.

When I do cookouts I try to give everyone an option, surprisingly you can do it pretty reasonably cost-wise. I have a Weber kettle, a gas grill, and a Blackstone on my deck, so if it's say a fish fry I'll spatchcock a whole chicken on the Weber, throw a pork loin in the gas grill on low, and some burgers/hotdogs on the flat top. That covers almost all the protein bases and you can get all those items for maybe $25-30 total. For that price I send leftovers home with whoever wants them. I always tell people to just bring a side and we have more than enough to eat. Oh and I don't drink but I get to keep all cans and bottles (I donate them to a Hospice collection site here in town).

But...

There was an episode of Andy Griffith just like this.

Latest posts