All week long every one said

i really don't see this team winning a friday night game on the west coast and Wisconsin and Nebraska are coin flips so could very well not have a winning record at the end of the season. But the important thing is Cade and all the seniors that stuck around got to be leaders right?

Our starting DBs had already struggled, and we saw a lot of dudes from lower on the depth chart today. Couple that with whatever Cade is, and you’re in for a world of hurt against competent teams.

….. and I think we’ve all lost any perspective about what a REAL/ORDINARY 10-2 team looks like.

Of course good defense, we know that

An offense that can compete with nearly any other team - not getting shut down

The poor tackling is something I don't think any of us saw coming, and I'm sure it is driving Phil absolutely nuts. It's like a virus has infected the whole defense.

Even Jackson's tackling has been off. He traditionally has made up for his lack of size with good pop and leg power, but this season he's not as explosive, and is arm tackling more as opposed to driving through. Same with both of our starting safeties.

The current stable of corners has never really demonstrated great tackling, but we used to at least see them set the edge and turn players back to the middle. Now they just take bad angles and whiff.

This Iowa team like several others over the years is susceptible to getting beat by teams they shouldn't. Probably more so then most yrs. The signs were all there. Bad Qb with HC that stubbornly plays him all game. Next to no passing game making the offense one dimensional. So much so that taking away KJ for all but 1 play all but guarantees a victory for the other team.

Then you factor in the defense not being able to cover/stop the run or tackle very well and we were just lucky we didn't lose by more. Parker made no adjustments besides shuffling the corner spot. He refuses to blitz hardly at all on early downs or send safety help to the weak corner side.

The only difference between the OSU game and the MSU one was MSU settled for a lot of FGs instead of scoring TDs. Iowas D just isn't that great. They bent way too much along with breaking. They couldn't force MSU into a single 3 and out or punt. That's wild to me. MSU out coached us on all sides of the ball the whole game too.

If you think Iowa couldn't lose to Wisconsin MD and Neb after seeing this then I don't know what to tell ya...

How are the # 7 rated D from last season, who basically brought back most of their starters, struggling so bad? It’s just baffling how they all have forgot how to tackle.

Primarily becuase thy're playing competent offenses. + A weak link in defensive backfield.

I don't think it was all week long and everyone
Rob, I've told you a billion times that I don't exagerate.

Scott D.
Chad L
Andrew Downs
Chuck Long
Chris Hassel
The guys from ANF podcast.

Its their fault for creating over confidence > complacency, with then was inculcated into the minds of the team and therefore caused us all this pain. Glad I missed the first half.

Rob, I've told you a billion times that I don't exagerate.

Scott D.
Chad L
Andrew Downs
Chuck Long
Chris Hassel
The guys from ANF podcast.

Its their fault for creating over confidence > complacency, with then was inculcated into the minds of the team and therefore caused us all this pain. Glad I missed the first half.
I hadn't paid all that much attention to all the talking heads leading into the game but it's extremely easy to see that their wouldn't have been much variance from any of their narratives. Not one of them thought Iowa was gonna lose that game I bet. And they probably thought Iowa would win by 7 or more going away.

This Iowa team like several others over the years is susceptible to getting beat by teams they shouldn't. Probably more so then most yrs. The signs were all there. Bad Qb with HC that stubbornly plays him all game. Next to no passing game making the offense one dimensional. So much so that taking away KJ for all but 1 play all but guarantees a victory for the other team.

Then you factor in the defense not being able to cover/stop the run or tackle very well and we were just lucky we didn't lose by more. Parker made no adjustments besides shuffling the corner spot. He refuses to blitz hardly at all on early downs or send safety help to the weak corner side.

The only difference between the OSU game and the MSU one was MSU settled for a lot of FGs instead of scoring TDs. Iowas D just isn't that great. They bent way too much along with breaking. They couldn't force MSU into a single 3 and out or punt. That's wild to me. MSU out coached us on all sides of the ball the whole game too.

If you think Iowa couldn't lose to Wisconsin MD and Neb after seeing this then I don't know what to tell ya...

It seemed to me, and I thought it was interesting, that MSU deployed the same defense that all teams had been deploying against Brian Ferentz' offense, flood the gaps with the LBs, stop the run and make them beat us with the pass and we couldn't do it.

Also, we seem really susceptible to that 15-yard pass to the sideline, they seem to come at crucial times and really hurt.

Athis point, let's just get to bowl eligibility and any Ws past that will be a bonus.

It seemed to me, and I thought it was interesting, that MSU deployed the same defense that all teams had been deploying against Brian Ferentz' offense, flood the gaps with the LBs, stop the run and make them beat us with the pass and we couldn't do it.

Also, we seem really susceptible to that 15-yard pass to the sideline, they seem to come at crucial times and really hurt.

Athis point, let's just get to bowl eligibility and any Ws past that will be a bonus.
Yeah MSU noticeably had their safeties in the box on early downs. They had us outnumbered in the box on every obvious running down it seemed like along with the not so obvious ones cause why not?

Being down Stephens sure didn't help us and I think they shuffled a couple guys in at that LG spot. Running the ball against respectable BIG teams that will go out of their way to try and stop it is just going to be that impossible to do. We broke one and due to all the Fgs we held them to instead of TDs somehow we were in the game late.

But we really weren't... It just kinda looked that way on the scoreboard. I give Lester some credit in that he was trying to do some things. But Cade was incapable of executing. Had he executed like 3 or 4 plays he coulda/shoulda in the first half on it coulda been a way different game. That game was lost because the QB couldn't execute.

Latest posts