All Time Hawkeye football Team

I didn't see to many Ed Hinkel nominations......great possession receiver

Also would add Klink at LB.......We've had some stud LBs but Klink could hold his own with any of them

Coaching staff wold be the one with Hayden at HC with KF, and they coaching tree as his staff

QB--Duncan
RB--Greene
RB--Kinnick
WR--Hughes
WR--Kasper
OL--Gallery
OL--Steinbach
OL--Hilgenberg
OL--Cal Jones
OL--Alt
TE--Clark

DL--Karras
DL--Babineaux
DL--Roth
DL--Leroy Smith
LB--Station
LB--Tippett
LB--Greenway
CB--Krause
CB--Spievey
S--Hanks
S--Sanders

P--Roby
K--Kaeding

Coach--Evy

QB - Long
RB - Greene
RB - Betts
WR - Dwight
WR - Early
TE - Clark
OL - Alt
OL - Steinbach
OL - Nelson
OL - Goff
OL - Gallery

DL - Kampman
DL - Babineaux
DL - DeVries
DL - Clayborn
LB - Tippett
LB - Greenway
LB - Station
S - Hanks
S - Sanders
CB - Knight
CB - Spievey

P - Roby
K - Kaeding

I did this last year for NCAA 10, and spent a lot of time researching. I based everything off of old statistics, All-American teams, and other post-season honors, not to mention taking into account how players were remembered by Hawk fans. Here was my depth chart:

Coach: Hayden Fry

QB: Chuck Long / Chuck Hartlieb / Brad Banks / Randy Duncan
HB: Nile Kinnick / Shonn Greene / Sedrick Shaw / Ronnie Harmon / Tavian Banks / Ed Podolak
FB: Gordon Locke / Bill Reichardt
WR: Tim Dwight / Danan Hughes / Quinn Early / Kevin Kasper / Keith Chappelle / Kahlil Hill / Karl Noonan / Jim Gibbons
TE: Dallas Clark / Marv Cook / Jonathan Hayes
LT: Robert Gallery / John Alt
LG: Cal Jones / Mike Goff / Ron Hallstrom / Joe Devlin
C: Jay Hilgenberg / Bruce Nelson
RG: Ross Verba / Eric Steinbach / Mike Devlin
RT: Duke Slater / John Niland

LE: Jared DeVries / Matt Roth / Leroy Smith
RE: Andre Tippett / Aaron Kampman / Howard Hodges
DT: Alex Karras / Mike Wells / Mitch King / Jeff Drost / Colin Cole / Paul Hufford
LOLB: Abdul Hodge / Bobby Diaco
MLB: Larry Station / Andre Jackson / Fred Barr
ROLB: Chad Greenway / Brad Quast / Wally Hilgenberg
CB: Tom Knight / Devon Mitchell / Plez Atkins / Jovon Johnson / Paul Krause
FS: Merton Hanks / Emlen Tunnell
SS: Bob Sanders / Bobby Stoops / Craig Clemons

K: Nate Kaeding
P: Reggie Roby

I'd love to hear what revisions/additions/omissions people would make to this.

QB--Duncan
RB--Greene
RB--Kinnick
WR--Hughes
WR--Kasper
OL--Gallery
OL--Steinbach
OL--Hilgenberg
OL--Cal Jones
OL--Alt
TE--Clark

DL--Karras
DL--Babineaux
DL--Roth
DL--Leroy Smith
LB--Station
LB--Tippett
LB--Greenway
CB--Krause
CB--Spievey
S--Hanks
S--Sanders

P--Roby
K--Kaeding

Coach--Evy

That's one badass looking team. But I must ask, Why not Long at QB? Maybe I need to brush up on my Hawkeye history, but I would think there haven't been any better hawks better at that position.

tm3308, there are at least two Hilgenbergs that would be centers before your choices.

You probably should have prefaced your team by saying you didn't know that many from the pre-Fry times. And Dr. Eddie Anderson could be on the coach's list too.

Tippett played DE at Iowa, by the way.

Jeremy Allen would probably be a better FB choice. There may be others before him, but none stand out and I know Iowa football back to the 1950s in many ways, thanks to my dad.

Karras wasn't an OT but a DT, unless he went both ways, which I don't believe he did.

Keaton Smiley and Merton Hanks probably need to be on the list at safety. But then Paul Krause and Emlen Tunnell are number one and two in the NFL in all-time INTs and both are in the Pro Football HOF. But Tunnell might not have played as much as one would think at Iowa. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that note.

I'm sorry dude. I don't mean to seem like I was picking on you. But the Hilgenberg thing got me typing and then I just made the rest of the notes from seeing what I didn't like about your picks. But I am probably older than you, too, so it is to be expected that I came up with some names you might not have thought of.

Thanks for spurring me on to do a list, sort of. I don't think I would have posted otherwise. And I am glad I did, because it was a fun exercise.

Last edited:
tm3308, there are at least two Hilgenbergs that would be centers before your choices.

You probably should have prefaced your team by saying you didn't know that many from the pre-Fry times. And Dr. Eddie Anderson could be on the coach's list too.

Tippett played DE at Iowa, by the way.

Jeremy Allen would probably be a better FB choice. There may be others before him, but none stand out and I know Iowa football back to the 1950s in many ways, thanks to my dad.

Karras wasn't an OT but a DT, unless he went both ways, which I don't believe he did.

Keaton Smiley and Merton Hanks probably need to be on the list at safety. But then Paul Krause and Emlen Tunnell are number one and two in the NFL in all-time INTs and both are in the Pro Football HOF. But Tunnell might not have played as much as one would think at Iowa. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that note.

I'm sorry dude. I don't mean to seem like I was picking on you. But the Hilgenberg thing got me typing and then I just made the rest of the notes from seeing what I didn't like about your picks. But I am probably older than you, too, so it is to be expected that I came up with some names you might not have thought of.

Thanks for spurring me on to do a list, sort of. I don't think I would have posted otherwise. And I am glad I did, because it was a fun exercise.

After going back, I noticed some of my mistakes (Karras and Tippett being the two big ones), but figured more than a couple guys would correct them for me. I was right about that lol. I'm just 20 years old, so the first guys I got to see play were Dwight and Tavian Banks. Before that, I'm in the dark other than the obvious choices (Long, Harmon, Roby, etc.).

At fullback I'd go with Owen Gill. He played both RB and FB, so he might be questionable to list as a FB, but the Baby Bull put up some decent #'s.

For some people asking between Houghtlin and Kaeding...that's a no-brainer. Kaeding is by far the best kicker in Iowa history and one of the best in Big Ten history. On a side note, against N Illinois in 1985, Hayden had Houghtlin attempt a 71 yard field goal...he missed.

I did this last year for NCAA 10, and spent a lot of time researching. I based everything off of old statistics, All-American teams, and other post-season honors, not to mention taking into account how players were remembered by Hawk fans. Here was my depth chart:

HB: Nile Kinnick / Shonn Greene / Sedrick Shaw / Ronnie Harmon / Tavian Banks / Ed Podolak
WR: Tim Dwight / Danan Hughes / Quinn Early / Kevin Kasper / Keith Chappelle / Kahlil Hill / Karl Noonan / Jim Gibbons

DT: Alex Karras / Mike Wells / Mitch King / Jeff Drost / Colin Cole / Paul Hufford

Very Impressive team!

Merton Hanks played CB at Iowa. Paul Krause was a two way starter in college who caught 6 TD passes his senior year. Duke Slater was a All-American lineman in the early twenties. The DE's in the Fry years were stand up outside linebackers. I don't think they could play DE in a 4-3 defense.

Tate belongs in the discussion at QB as does Chuck Hartlieb. Lew Montgomery for FB and Nick Bell at either FB or TB. Godfrey should be mentioned at Corner. Hinkel was the 00s version of Happel wasn't he? Too young to really remember the Long lead teams. So many good Defensive Backs and Linebackers during Ferentz era. Steen, Hodge, Klink and Humpal all deserve consideration, but the 80 and 90s teams were pretty stacked as well.

I am pretty sure Deviln was a center, not a guard. atleast as a senior. for centers you can't forget Casey Wigman. he backed up deviln his first 2 years, and went hard to the whistle every play. probably has had the best Pro Career by any hawkeye lineman..

although I love the good captin, I think I would have to take fry in the 80's. he wasn't afraid to step on the opponents throat and run up the score. sometimes I think Kirk gets to conservative.

although I love the good captin, I think I would have to take fry in the 80's. he wasn't afraid to step on the opponents throat and run up the score. sometimes I think Kirk gets to conservative.

although if the good captin continues to win the close/big games like last year, and beat OSU this year, I may have to change my pick.

Very Impressive team!

I'm going with the criteria that this is a 1 year team. Greatest all time team taking each player with their single greatest year.

QB Long
RB Greene
TE Clark
TE Cook (yeah i'm going to TE set, this gets are best players on the field
OL Gallery
OL Cal Jones
OL Steinbach
OL D. Slater (obviously never saw him play but his credetials put him in as the last OL
C Nelson
WR Dwight
WR Early (weakest link)
PK Kaeding

DL Tippet
DL Karas
DL Devries
DL L. Smith
LB Gallery
LB Station
LB Angerer
DB Hanks